Grow Mediums DIY RDWC SYSTEM HELP

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
White Widow(Nirvana)
Hell all I am new. I am wanting to DIY a RDWC system and I am just dumb i guess. I am looking for directions to build an 8 bucket system with REZ. I am starting with 4 bucket system and add on in time 4 more buckets. I have looked at GoAuto6 system posted on here under RDWC post and I like it and he did a great job. as of now thats the system I plan on building, Unless there is one better. I am disabled Vet and need it easy to maintain such as draining the REZ and buckets.
I would appreciate any and all recommendations.
Thanks

Hell all I am new. I am wanting to DIY a RDWC system and I am just dumb i guess. I am looking for directions to build an 8 bucket system with REZ. I am starting with 4 bucket system and add on in time 4 more buckets. I have looked at GoAuto6 system posted on here under RDWC post and I like it and he did a great job. as of now thats the system I plan on building, Unless there is one better. I am disabled Vet and need it easy to maintain such as draining the REZ and buckets.
I would appreciate any and all recommendations.
Thanks

Are you sure that's what you want?
Plain old Deep Water Culture in a single tank is much less work, with no sacrifice in quality.
I'm scrapping a GH Ecogrower top feed system and going to a simple 35 gallon, DWC system that has only an air stone type air ring, and no top feed.
The more pumps/hoses/tubes the more stuff can clog or go wrong.

I'm too lazy to build my own out of a 35 gallon storage bin, so I recently bought an expensive one.
A 2-4 plant classic DWC system in a 3 x 3 tent, the more gallons the better, could easily yield 8-16 ounces every 3 month with autos, if light is sufficient.

As a new grower don't bite off more than you can chew.
You can always add more buckets, top feed, etc after having a few successful grows.
DWC plants need around 5 gallons of fluid each for good health.
KISS is the best policy.

thanks I need simple. where did you buy your system?

thanks I need simple. where did you buy your system?

It's insanely expensive https://growershouse.com/under-current-solo-pro-4-current-culture-ucsolopro4
I went with 4 sites, but you can go up to 16. I got the black friday price of $400 + $20 shipping.
You could probably build something equivalent much cheaper.
Strong, opaque materials are needed.
As is an emptying hose at the bottom, an easy way to fill the tank, and airstone/pump.
35 gallons is a lot of water to change out, so I'll be trying tap water, possibly with vitamin C added to get rid of chloramine. RO water is a gigantic hassle.
Google VPD chart, and consider getting a humidifier to grow with high humidity.

Growing weeds is pretty easy if you can resist the urge to follow silly internet advice, and just keep it simple.
Topping, pruning, scrogging, and flushing are all unnecessary, and might even lengthen time to harvest because of the stress they create.
Also, fertilizers become poisons at the concentrations some people use, so keep the nutes around 1/3 or less of what the nute profiteers recommend.

thanks man. yeah its more money then i can afford. I have looked at similar systems. I want to grow 3 to 4 lbs grows.
how far apart do you need for plants. 2x2 , ects.

thanks man. yeah its more money then i can afford. I have looked at similar systems. I want to grow 3 to 4 lbs grows.
how far apart do you need for plants. 2x2 , ects.

48-64 oz is a lot of herb to grow.
The best I've done with Platinum p-600 LED (345 actual watts, claimed to be equivalent to 600 W HPS) in a 3 x 3 tent was 20 oz, and it was an uncontrollable jungle that I hope not to repeat.
Factoring this up to reach 48 oz would require about 2.5 times more canopy surface, and 2.5 times as many true watts.
That would mean about a 5 x 5 ft grow area, and almost 900 true LED watts, maybe more if HPS watts.
High quality LEDs that strong will be very expensive, probably over $1000, and lower quality lights often have silly power claims.
I only use LED, so don't know what that would cost otherwise. There can be heat issues with non-LEDs.

Unless you really need the money from selling herb right now, you might be better off starting small.

48-64 oz is a lot of herb to grow.
The best I've done with Platinum p-600 LED (345 actual watts, claimed to be equivalent to 600 W HPS) in a 3 x 3 tent was 20 oz, and it was an uncontrollable jungle that I hope not to repeat.
Factoring this up to reach 48 oz would require about 2.5 times more canopy surface, and 2.5 times as many true watts.
That would mean about a 5 x 5 ft grow area, and almost 900 true LED watts, maybe more if HPS watts.
High quality LEDs that strong will be very expensive, probably over $1000, and lower quality lights often have silly power claims.
I only use LED, so don't know what that would cost otherwise. There can be heat issues with non-LEDs.

Unless you really need the money from selling herb right now, you might be better off starting small.

I do need the money. I am a 100% disabled vet. along with about 20 others disabled vets. Its for our own personal use. we make tea, oils, 4:20. the VA wont give it, and we have a state issue on growing. we all live in the country. we have nothing mailed or delivered to us. We go the nearest big city
which is 3:45 min drive 1 way. after reading your post we have decided to keep it simple.we are going to grow 8 plants at a time using preputial harvest. Using both 4- 5 gal DWC and 4- 5 gal FFOF mixed with some of our own soil which has been backed to rid any criders.We will be growing White Widow(Nirvana) and White Widow Big Bud(seedsman) all autos. we are going to buy a good air pump and run 2 4" air stones. Buy a water transfer pump, so to pump old nutrients out and then pump new nutrients in. we will make up enough nutrients to fill all 4 buckets to 1 " below the net pots.and have enough remaining to top off in between nutrients changes around 7 or 8 days. You seem to be very knowledgeable about this stuff and we really do thank you. Could you please recommend a good air pump, water transfer pump (something simple), and recommend nutrients for both water and soil with proper feeding schedule I know its a lot to ask. Since most of us our retired so we have time to put in this and take proper care of our meds. I startes smoking 3 maybe 4 yrs ago and have been off all pain, depression, PTSD, and sleeping meds. several other vets as well. Thank You.

I do need the money. I am a 100% disabled vet. along with about 20 others disabled vets. Its for our own personal use. we make tea, oils, 4:20. the VA wont give it, and we have a state issue on growing. we all live in the country. we have nothing mailed or delivered to us. We go the nearest big city
which is 3:45 min drive 1 way. after reading your post we have decided to keep it simple.we are going to grow 8 plants at a time using preputial harvest. Using both at the same time 4- 5 gal DWC and 4- 5 gal FFOF mixed with some of our own soil which has been backed to rid any criders.We will be growing White Widow(Nirvana) and White Widow Big Bud(seedsman) all autos. we are going to buy a good air pump and run 2 4" air stones. Buy a water transfer pump, so to pump old nutrients out and then pump new nutrients in.(make new nutrients in 40 gallon tote) we will make up enough nutrients to fill all 4 buckets to 1 " below the net pots.and have enough remaining to top off in between nutrients changes around 7 or 8 days. You seem to be very knowledgeable about this stuff and we really do thank you. Could you please recommend a good air pump, water transfer pump (something simple), and recommend nutrients for both water and soil with proper feeding schedule I know its a lot to ask. Since most of us our retired so we have time to put in this and take proper care of our meds. I started smoking 3 maybe 4 yrs ago and have been off all pain, depression, PTSD, and sleeping meds. several other vets as well. We have
5x8x8 grow room(flower) with 3 630 watts CMH 3100k grow lights/w exhaust, fans for top and bottom of plants, humidifier, dehumidifier, 3 digital gages for humidity and temp. 8" in line fan and 6" carbon filter on exhaust fan.
1 4x4 grow tent (Veg)with 1 630 watt CMH (4100K) 2 300 watts leds. along with all the fans and stuff.
1 2x4x7 closet (Veg) 4 300 watt leds with all the stuff.
8 - 5gal dwc buckets for preputial
8- 5gal buckets for soil preputial
8 in flower
8 in veg
Thanks

Are you sure that's what you want?
Plain old Deep Water Culture in a single tank is much less work, with no sacrifice in quality.
I'm scrapping a GH Ecogrower top feed system and going to a simple 35 gallon, DWC system that has only an air stone type air ring, and no top feed.
The more pumps/hoses/tubes the more stuff can clog or go wrong.

I'm too lazy to build my own out of a 35 gallon storage bin, so I recently bought an expensive one.
A 2-4 plant classic DWC system in a 3 x 3 tent, the more gallons the better, could easily yield 8-16 ounces every 3 month with autos, if light is sufficient.

As a new grower don't bite off more than you can chew.
You can always add more buckets, top feed, etc after having a few successful grows.
DWC plants need around 5 gallons of fluid each for good health.
KISS is the best policy.

All said and done I'm into this one for about 1200, with room construction, maybe 2000. It all depends on how much space you have, and how far you need to carry water really. You can easily add a utility pump to do the draining and filling if you have a good enough rez. But the more tubes and buckets etc.. that you use, the more to clean. I agree with Simplicio, go with something like mine if your space allows:

I tear this down completely between grows, and bleach scrub everything. Then pump bleach water through the pumps, rinse it all off and put it together. Takes about 3 hours. I don't carry water anymore though, I have a 55 gallon drum strapped to a dolly, and a transfer pump. Because I'm in a seperate building. It's a bit of a pain. If you have water access within 20 feet, just run a transfer pump through 1/2 inch tubing to your grow space. Use the same tubing to drain it into another rez, or out the window.

Last edited:
which is 3:45 min drive 1 way. after reading your post we have decided to keep it simple.we are going to grow 8 plants at a time using preputial harvest. Using both 4- 5 gal DWC and 4- 5 gal FFOF mixed with some of our own soil which has been backed to rid any criders.We will be growing White Widow(Nirvana) and White Widow Big Bud(seedsman) all autos. we are going to buy a good air pump and run 2 4" air stones. Buy a water transfer pump, so to pump old nutrients out and then pump new nutrients in. we will make up enough nutrients to fill all 4 buckets to 1 " below the net pots.and have enough remaining to top off in between nutrients changes around 7 or 8 days. You seem to be very knowledgeable about this stuff and we really do thank you. Could you please recommend a good air pump, water transfer pump (something simple), and recommend nutrients for both water and soil with proper feeding schedule I know its a lot to ask. Since most of us our retired so we have time to put in this and take proper care of our meds. I startes smoking 3 maybe 4 yrs ago and have been off all pain, depression, PTSD, and sleeping meds. several other vets as well. Thank You.

Don't give me too much credit.
I know something about hydro, nothing whatsoever about soil.
In fact, I purposely avoid all soil for fear of pests/germs.
Rapid rooter starter cubes, surrounded by clay pellets, in net cups are what I use.
My plant roots never touch soil, and I've never had a germ/pest problem, but the internet is full of dirt growers with such problems.

My goal is to get the biggest harvest bang for the smallest effort buck.
Hydro is not without its hassles, such as frequent ppm and pH checks, and frequent feeding, but it gives complete control to the grower.
I never shopped for an air pump, because one came with my GH Ecogrower.

I bought a battery powered siphon pump to fill the reservoir from a storage bin, and an electric plug-in pump to empty the reservoir.
I got both shopping on amazon
Amazon product
Amazon product

Google Vapor Pressure Deficit chart, and don't over-feed. I never go above 400 ppm using GH Flora trio, even though the manufacturer recommends a max of 1200.

Back