DIY DIY Grow Cabinet

_state_of_mind_

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I have learnt an incredible amount from this community, which has gotten me to the point of being able to execute on a project like this, so thanks to all you wonderful folks!

To ensure better consistency in plant growth (and results) and to ensure stealth, decided to go the route of building a plywood based cabinet for my grow room. It's a 2 feet x 4 feet x 6 feet structure. It's outdoors but protected from the elements (with a lot of airflow, etc). I have put up emergency blanket mylar sheets all over the interiors of the structure.

For lighting I have used QB288 from Kingbrite and 2 deep red (660 and 730nm) strips, so a total of 300 watts (which I think is sufficient for the 2 or max 3 plants I plan on growing). Right now, I am about 24 inches away from the top of the plant and I am measuring 700+ ppfd at 60% power - I should be able to get to 900+ if I go a 100%, but I wanted my lady to get used to this first (she has been an outdoor grow till now).

For ventilation, I will be setting up a 4" inline carbon filter along with an AC Infinity S4 with Controller 67.

One area I am having an issue and looking for advise is making it as airtight as I can. There is a 5 mm gap between the front double doors and at the edge where the door attaches to the frame of the cabinet (as you can see in the picture below). How should I go about sealing these gaps to ensure no light or odor leakage?

Attachments

• Cabinet-1.jpg
    Cabinet-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 259
  • Cabinet-2.jpg
    Cabinet-2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 272
  • Cabinet-3.jpg
    Cabinet-3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 276
You don't need it to be airtight. You only need to ensure that the space has a negative pressure flow. If you extract more air than you intake, a vacuum effect will occur. That means that 100% of the air that leaves the room will first pass through the carbon filter.

Light leaks don't really matter much for most auto strains either I have found. If you're more concerned about light leaking out rather than in, They sell expandable foam sealant at hardware stores which could seal up any structural gaps. For the door I'm not sure, possibly a rubber gasket. Dig around some old cab build / grows I'm sure you'll find some good ideas

Depending on your climate and season you may find it difficult to manage the environment in an enclosed space outdoors but I know people do successfully grow in sheds.

Last edited:
You don't need it to be airtight. You only need to ensure that the space has a negative pressure flow. If you extract more air than you intake, a vacuum effect will occur. That means that 100% of the air that leaves the room will first pass through the carbon filter.

Light leaks don't really matter much for most auto strains either I have found. If you're more concerned about light leaking out rather than in, They sell expandable foam sealant at hardware stores which could seal up any structural gaps. For the door I'm not sure, possibly a rubber gasket. Dig around some old cab build / grows I'm sure you'll find some good ideas

Depending on your climate and season you may find it difficult to manage the environment in an enclosed space outdoors but I know people do successfully grow in sheds.

Understood - I am more concerned about odor and light leaking out (but yes, as long as it's a net negative pressure, there should be minimal odor leakage).

There are slotted air entry gaps on both the side panels closer to the bottom of the panel to let in air. Right now, I am running the cabinet without a filter or inline exhaust and RH is around 54% and temp is between 26 to 28C. The weather conditions will be similar to this for most of the year (with a little bit of variation, but nothing extreme), so I am expecting that with a fan (and filter), I should be within the acceptable range most of the time, right?

Yeah just keep in mind your intake is all outdoor air. So when it's raining outside your RH in the room could easily spike up to 90+. You'll learn some tricks to deal with it as you see how the weather effects things

Yeah just keep in mind your intake is all outdoor air. So when it's raining outside your RH in the room could easily spike up to 90+. You'll learn some tricks to deal with it as you see how the weather effects things

fair point, this will be an interesting experiment for sure!

"One area I am having an issue and looking for advise is making it as airtight as I can. There is a 5 mm gap between the front double doors and at the edge where the door attaches to the frame of the cabinet (as you can see in the picture below). How should I go about sealing these gaps to ensure no light or odor leakage?"
Weather stripping for doors.

Install weatherseal inside the cabinet were the door closes and it will block any light and air out. What reflective material is that called? Looks pretty dope

Install weatherseal inside the cabinet were the door closes and it will block any light and air out. What reflective material is that called? Looks pretty dope
I think he said they were Mylar blankets. They are sold in hiking stores (probably even Walmart) to help keep folks from having hypothermia.

Thanks - are you referring to the strips that go under the door (between the door and floor)? I was thinking of the same, but use it vertically between the double doors.
Thanks - will look up weather seal strips. I am using the cheapo emergency blankets (made of mylar). After looking at this multi-point PAR test for reflectivity, I ended up choosing this option -
I think he said they were Mylar blankets. They are sold in hiking stores (probably even Walmart) to help keep folks from having hypothermia.
Yep - it has very good reflective property. My PAR levels at the top of the plant at 60% power (24 inches separation) is north of 700, but I went with QB288 from Kingbrite without the red led's. I got 2 separate panels of those to supplement the white light, so I am getting the full 240 watts out of the white lights - in all a 300 watt setup.

Back