Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh nothing like a house full of kids on Christmas. New toys strewn all over the living room for everyone to trip over.

I take comfort in knowing this isn't a problem unique to humans.

sharklego.jpg

I had a conversation with my sister about sourdough. I mentioned that a lot of people keep them going for so long, that they eventually assign them a name. Like a pet.

Her reaction was to point out how silly a thing that is. Then I reminded her of the time she named her pet rock (it was a thing in the 80s). I also pointed out that the starter is not only actually alive, but you use it to make food.

Not sure what I am going to name mine yet, but as I have started a second one with rye flour (using some of the original bread flour one as a seed), I am leaning towards "thing 1" and "thing 2".

From what I had read, rye flour was not an ideal candidate for sourdough for any number of reasons. Well, this is day 2 and it's just as vigorous as my mature bread flour beasty. It almost looks stronger, in fact.

In a few hours (i've only just fed them an hour ago) I"ll post a side-by-side of both cultures. The rye is already smelling a bit more sour, which is what I was hoping for.

I had a conversation with my sister about sourdough. I mentioned that a lot of people keep them going for so long, that they eventually assign them a name. Like a pet.

Her reaction was to point out how silly a thing that is. Then I reminded her of the time she named her pet rock (it was a thing in the 80s). I also pointed out that the starter is not only actually alive, but you use it to make food.

Not sure what I am going to name mine yet, but as I have started a second one with rye flour (using some of the original bread flour one as a seed), I am leaning towards "thing 1" and "thing 2".

From what I had read, rye flour was not an ideal candidate for sourdough for any number of reasons. Well, this is day 2 and it's just as vigorous as my mature bread flour beasty. It almost looks stronger, in fact.

In a few hours (i've only just fed them an hour ago) I"ll post a side-by-side of both cultures. The rye is already smelling a bit more sour, which is what I was hoping for.
We had a starter that was 'old' when we got it in the 70's. We lost it somewhere along the way but always had something [inferior] going then after like 25 years we ran into the guy we got it from and he he still it going. It's a good one! It should have a name lol

We had a starter that was 'old' when we got it in the 70's. We lost it somewhere along the way but always had something [inferior] going then after like 25 years we ran into the guy we got it from and he he still it going. It's a good one! It should have a name lol

It's always cool to get a sample of what someone else has been brewing. My niece has also gotten into bread making, and I just gave her 100 grams of the bread flour culture.

This rye flour culture looks insane! In a half hour, I'll put up pics of both cultures. A three hour before and after shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back