Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mike20132 saw your earlier post about starting the Strawberry Nuggets on MC..........how old is that seedling? I thought you waited about a week or 10 days before using nutes........or is the MC in a reduced dose OK?

Question for anyone.

I was arguing on another forum with a member about there being no substantial evidence that autoflower needs a dark period but I started thinking about my current grow. I'm doing 24/0 but my plants weren't happy when the light got too far, when the temperature was consistently below 84f, or when the humidity was below 70% all at the same time. So I keep the light at 16", humidity between 70-75, and the temp around 84-86f and they act better.

All that is to ask is there a correlation between light schedules, temps, and humidity? I know that VPD works on a sliding scale but do all these variables work on one as well?

I'm high. Sorry

hope everyone is doing well....I'm sitting here fixing up some small hempy containers to plant my last two DDA seeds both of which popped today after less than 24 hrs in water. this time I'm using cut down half gallon milk containers and root plugs.....if they do well will transplant them to my 2 1/2 gal hempy buckets to finish. Also, keeping at least 36" away from my COB light. It might be a cheap Chinese special but it puts out a lot of light......Wish me luck!

For what it's worth, I try to keep the handling of seedlings down to an absolute minimum. They go right from the bottom of a glass of DI into the final medium. I am always terrified of damaging the roots.

lol!

I have this embroidered on my work shirts

View attachment 940070
I like to fuck with people in a subtle and passive way :crying:

f6

Awesome!

@Mike20132 saw your earlier post about starting the Strawberry Nuggets on MC..........how old is that seedling? I thought you waited about a week or 10 days before using nutes........or is the MC in a reduced dose OK?

It probably won't hurt. The idea for the 10 day pause for nutes comes from coco grows. At least most of them. I have never had a problem with waiting, but I was pretty eager to see how easy using the MC would be.

My thoughts so far is that is difficult to measure out a homogeneous mixture in very small quantities. For now I am going to follow the published feed schedule at 50% of suggested measures. that's .5 grams per 2L, which is the quantity I mix normally. There are small beads intermixed with an amazingly fine rust-colored powder. It's hard to get whatever proportion they were shooting for at that low a weight. I am sure the error will wind up being statistical noise at the end of the day. Their schedule suggests feeding from the moment they become a seedling, so that's what I'm a-gonna do. :pass:

Question for anyone.

I was arguing on another forum with a member about there being no substantial evidence that autoflower needs a dark period but I started thinking about my current grow. I'm doing 24/0 but my plants weren't happy when the light got too far, when the temperature was consistently below 84f, or when the humidity was below 70% all at the same time. So I keep the light at 16", humidity between 70-75, and the temp around 84-86f and they act better.

All that is to ask is there a correlation between light schedules, temps, and humidity? I know that VPD works on a sliding scale but do all these variables work on one as well?

I'm high. Sorry
You are correct. If autoflowers needed a dark period they would never finish on 24/0, and we know they do. Is varying the off times advantageous? I've read nothing but theory on the subject, to be honest. I don't think it hurts to go 20/4, 18/6, or whatever, if for no other reason than to keep the electric bill down. The only downside is the reduction in yield a reduced light exposure would probably realize.

EDIT: I should add that light burn probably has a lot more to do with distance than time of exposure.

Last edited:
He told me I sounded like a rep for grow weed easy, that we need to mimic nature, and so on. I told him about this forum and he said no between growers would ever run 24/0 .
You are correct. If autoflowers needed a dark period they would never finish on 24/0, and we know they do. Is varying the off times advantageous? I've read nothing but theory on the subject, to be honest. I don't think it hurts to go 20/4, 18/6, or whatever, if for no other reason than to keep the electric bill down. The only downside is the reduction in yield a reduced light exposure would probably realize.

My First Grow
Me vs. 00 Seeds Automatik Collections 600w Top Fed DTW

He told me I sounded like a rep for grow weed easy, that we need to mimic nature, and so on. I told him about this forum and he said no between growers would ever run 24/0 .

My First Grow
The "Need to mimic nature" line is probably the best way to grow a Photo.. Assuming you know exactly what schedule the strain expects, and adhere to it.

Autos don't work that way, and while there is no harm in trying to replicate its natural environment, the whole reason we cram it with light at a much higher exposure time than nature would afford is to maximize the yield.

For what it's worth, I try to keep the handling of seedlings down to an absolute minimum. They go right from the bottom of a glass of DI into the final medium. I am always terrified of damaging the roots.

Awesome!

It probably won't hurt. The idea for the 10 day pause for nutes comes from coco grows. At least most of them. I have never had a problem with waiting, but I was pretty eager to see how easy using the MC would be.

My thoughts so far is that is difficult to measure out a homogeneous mixture in very small quantities. For now I am going to follow the published feed schedule at 50% of suggested measures. that's .5 grams per 2L, which is the quantity I mix normally. There are small beads intermixed with an amazingly fine rust-colored powder. It's hard to get whatever proportion they were shooting for at that low a weight. I am sure the error will wind up being statistical noise at the end of the day. Their schedule suggests feeding from the moment they become a seedling, so that's what I'm a-gonna do. :pass:

Well, I got mine done and in their new homes without incident. Light is 37" above planter surface.........hopefully that is enough! As far as transplant goes, many of the hempy folks start them in a 20oz cup and just wet them down and gently pull them out and place them in a comparable sized hole in the medium of the final container and they seem to tolerate it well. I'm going to leave them alone until they grow out good except for distilled H2O and then start the MC. I read on several threads that mixing the MC in a small amt of hot H2O before adding it to your base liquid....seems to go into solution better that way with less residue.

Well, I got mine done and in their new homes without incident. Light is 37" above planter surface.........hopefully that is enough! As far as transplant goes, many of the hempy folks start them in a 20oz cup and just wet them down and gently pull them out and place them in a comparable sized hole in the medium of the final container and they seem to tolerate it well. I'm going to leave them alone until they grow out good except for distilled H2O and then start the MC. I read on several threads that mixing the MC in a small amt of hot H2O before adding it to your base liquid....seems to go into solution better that way with less residue.

I mix in a 2L beaker on a stir-plate, so the time isn't really important. It gets completely dissolved sooner or later. The issue is that .5 grams is such a tiny amount, the ratio of fine powder to small beads varies wildly with each measure. As the measure goes up to 2 grams, the ratio will get closer to where it needs to be. Over multiple mixings, the error will ostensibly average itself to the realm of noise. i don't see it making much of an impact.

The other thing (unless I am wrong) is that there is no pH buffering agents in this. Makes sense. I am used to counting on the buffering compounds in the AN mix, so I see doing pH adjustments to every batch. Still less work than the 6 or 7 lliquid nutes I have to deal with.

From a handling and usage perspective, it is so far pretty superior.

IMG_20180811_115634.jpg

Live! From the hand of f6!

Pass me another scoob please?

f6

I don't aim to mimic but give it the strongest environment possible to get optimal grow otherwise we would all be growing in regular soil with just the sin e.
The "Need to mimic nature" line is probably the best way to grow a Photo.. Assuming you know exactly what schedule the strain expects, and adhere to it.

Autos don't work that way, and while there is no harm in trying to replicate its natural environment, the whole reason we cram it with light at a much higher exposure time than nature would afford is to maximize the yield.

My First Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back