Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm might have missed that part!! Very interesting!! In the stealth cabinet i grow under IR right from day 1

I have been experimenting using different spectrums during veg as a tool to find different types of phenos and, for sure I have seen that this does have an effect on the plants genetics somehow. Meaning that it is possible that certain environmental conditions like light spectrum can determine the phenotype you get. All this is still just an experiment, but I have seen this in multiple strains.

Ok, I'll chime in here. I think it has something to do with the light spectrum growers use. The new led spectrums and light intensities out on the market now are so much different when these strains were produced, and wehave no idea what lights they were grown under when they gave us the time frame.

When I turn on my hps and run that, I almost always finish on time, but when I use the led lights, sometimes I go over on the time. I am running different led lights in the tent. I notice that some of the plants finish on time and some go long. You are correct though, that the plants that go long are always monster plants that run over 200 grams per plant every time, but volume is never my goal.

I am doing some unofficial research now around this subject, because I am now in the mode of wanting to chase elite phenos. Been doing it in photos for years, and now I am enjoying the challenge on autos.

I think it has something to do with the lights man! Any feedback would be great from other growers and what they think could contribute.

MC, @fettled6 tagged me in on this a bit earlier. I've done a lot of looking and a lot of speculating on this topic but still no definitive answers. However my speculation has been lighting intensity's effect on stretch rather than overall finishing time. Over the last few years, as I transitioned from HID to LED, I noticed almost no stretch on any of my LED grows, and at first I thought it was due to the intensity (went from 250W HID to 325W LED). I started growing auto strains under HID and got beautiful stretch and some fine yields - at least 6 oz., and as much as 11+ oz off single plant grows. But as I transitioned to LED I couldn't help but see something missing. No stretch = no training = less yields, IMHO. A couple of LED exceptions (8 oz Pineapple Express and 11.75oz Auto Original Bubblegum), but mostly less yields under LED.
But now that you mention it, I do see my LED grows running longer, if I include the seedling time I run my plants under CFL while establishing a solid root mass and at least three nodes before transplanting. Hmmmm…. But discounting this time (2-3 weeks) most of mine have finished in 65-75 days.
But after perusing a ton of grower threads and asking for input (not enough received to be definitive) I'm slowly changing my suspicion to lighting spectrum rather than intensity. All my LED grows have been under MARS Hydro 325Watts-at-wall "system style" lights - their Mars II 700 and MARS PRO-II-Cree 128 systems, both of which are "blurple" style spectrums (blue & red = blurple???). Others who replied who claimed stretch under LED seemed to be running "white light" or full spectrum LED. Am I on to something? I've purchased a couple of BigSm0's 3500K COB's and I intend to keep chasing this after Fall gets here and runs me back indoors.
But until then, I'm going to a party at the BEACH!!!!! And then the U.P. for some backpacking and trout fishing. Thank goodness for my hydro autopilots!!!

If you want to chase this with me, have a look at the thread in my sig below, be glad to have you aboard.

BTW, you by chance know Midlife (here, little piggy :) ) He's in Cz and I've missed him for a few years.

MC, @fettled6 tagged me in on this a bit earlier. I've done a lot of looking and a lot of speculating on this topic but still no definitive answers. However my speculation has been lighting intensity's effect on stretch rather than overall finishing time. Over the last few years, as I transitioned from HID to LED, I noticed almost no stretch on any of my LED grows, and at first I thought it was due to the intensity (went from 250W HID to 325W LED). I started growing auto strains under HID and got beautiful stretch and some fine yields - at least 6 oz., and as much as 11+ oz off single plant grows. But as I transitioned to LED I couldn't help but see something missing. No stretch = no training = less yields, IMHO. A couple of LED exceptions (8 oz Pineapple Express and 11.75oz Auto Original Bubblegum), but mostly less yields under LED.
But now that you mention it, I do see my LED grows running longer, if I include the seedling time I run my plants under CFL while establishing a solid root mass and at least three nodes before transplanting. Hmmmm…. But discounting this time (2-3 weeks) most of mine have finished in 65-75 days.
But after perusing a ton of grower threads and asking for input (not enough received to be definitive) I'm slowly changing my suspicion to lighting spectrum rather than intensity. All my LED grows have been under MARS Hydro 325Watts-at-wall "system style" lights - their Mars II 700 and MARS PRO-II-Cree 128 systems, both of which are "blurple" style spectrums (blue & red = blurple???). Others who replied who claimed stretch under LED seemed to be running "white light" or full spectrum LED. Am I on to something? I've purchased a couple of BigSm0's 3500K COB's and I intend to keep chasing this after Fall gets here and runs me back indoors.
But until then, I'm going to a party at the BEACH!!!!! And then the U.P. for some backpacking and trout fishing. Thank goodness for my hydro autopilots!!!

If you want to chase this with me, have a look at the thread in my sig below, be glad to have you aboard.

BTW, you by chance know Midlife (here, little piggy :) ) He's in Cz and I've missed him for a few years.

For sure man, that sounds like fun. I have been doing an experiment of my own for many years. When the switch to led, is was apparent there were differences , but I wasn't sure what it was. Spectrum and intensity both have an effect on the plant, but the spectrum actually seems to affect the genetics themselves. You have to have grown enough of the same strain to get the idea.
My last grow I went for it totally and grew the same, normally stable strain from DP called Auto Night queen and ended up making four different phenos from the four light spectrums I introduced.
I noticed this before in other strains, many times, but I have never had the gonads to fill up my space with only one strain and do the experiment to finally see if there was any validity to this theory.

As far a second the stretch goes, I have has no issue getting stretch out of the plants and huge yields, but the plants that stretch most are still getting that blue spectrum you get from cobs and QB 's, plus the IR and deep reds at the opposite end. The combo of these two together get better stretch than if I use only veg light on the led blurple I also have.
I have a blurple that runs 180 w from wall, a Chinese QB look a like( nice parts with two meanwell 150 w drivers) running at 200w from wall, a cob light with two 3000k Cree chips running 150w from wall, and two individual cobs, both running 3500k, one at 65 watts with plastic white reflector, one at 100w with glass reflector, both Cree 3590 chips and meanwell drivers. I will still add a 6500k or 6000k into the mix and an additional IR as well to really give me some spectrum flexibility, plus theee are many options to build QB set ups with complete control over spectrum or buy the special Lights to better control that. The investment was pretty large, so I went this way as a first step. My wife would kill me if I spent more money on lights right now to fit the entire room, so I am doing it this way for now.
Let's see what we can do. I was going to start a grow at the end of this month. Where are you at in the cycle?

Morning stoners! :pass::vape::work:
8b8b993eb443327725331c37c8c178e6.jpg
a7db6c0032dba8ad3d3e1c3ec2be25b9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back