Status
Not open for further replies.
20180709_113937.jpg

day 25 , auto og kush and auto ak 420 , both from seedstokers

Yes i have done milk soaking as well. Some places where the grey meat is thick, they have a VERY strong fishy taste(and not in a good way). Soaking in milk cuts out the stanky fishy taste. I normally cook them cajun cat style, so for the stanky fish taste to overpower that kind of spice you know its not exactly prime!! @chefdave thought you might have some other ideas on the above?
Good morning Skelly and all. Glad your feeling better bud! For the catfish (channel) I always don't eat anything from 6 # plus just not good! Cats of course are bottom feeders so waters they are caught is important, Not so much of an issue for areas up north, but huge here and especially south US. Muddy rivers , large rivers are generally poor tasting larger cats. Milk, cornmeal, spicy seasoning and mango pith are good soaks to help with strong fish taste. I generally fry my cats in cornmeal or a wet beer batter. As skelly says cutting out the blood line( darker area) is a must for all fish IMO unless your Japanese and love that iron fishy taste. Tuna sword trout bass all have bloodlines in different areas depending on body type. Most are on the same line as the pin bones in the middle of filet. If anyone has or needs further info on this or anything culinary related feel free to ask! Cheers Dave

Good morning Skelly and all. Glad your feeling better bud! For the catfish (channel) I always don't eat anything from 6 # plus just not good! Cats of course are bottom feeders so waters they are caught is important, Not so much of an issue for areas up north, but huge here and especially south US. Muddy rivers , large rivers are generally poor tasting larger cats. Milk, cornmeal, spicy seasoning and mango pith are good soaks to help with strong fish taste. I generally fry my cats in cornmeal or a wet beer batter. As skelly says cutting out the blood line( darker area) is a must for all fish IMO unless your Japanese and love that iron fishy taste. Tuna sword trout bass all have bloodlines in different areas depending on body type. Most are on the same line as the pin bones in the middle of filet. If anyone has or needs further info on this or anything culinary related feel free to ask! Cheers Dave

Just my 0.02, and not always appliccable, but if you have the opportunity to let them bask in running fresh water for a day or two, most of that stanky, muddy, gravelly, nasty bad fishy taste tend to go away as well. Mind you, I only tried it with pike and smaller brackish cats. No clue with bigger or river cats.

Just my 0.02, and not always appliccable, but if you have the opportunity to let them bask in running fresh water for a day or two, most of that stanky, muddy, gravelly, nasty bad fishy taste tend to go away as well. Mind you, I only tried it with pike and smaller brackish cats. No clue with bigger or river cats.
Sound good for cats and pike but with most fish you want to avoid additional contact with water on flesh whenever possible. Even with soaks or marinades should only be applied for 1 hour or less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back