New Grower Citric Acid with Distilled Vinegar for PH Down

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go.

I have had trouble with sediment when using Vinegar in a reservoir with GH Flora Nova, could the vinegar be the actual culprit and not the Flora Nova as I suspected, I wonder?

Only one way to find out I guess...........

I would suspect it is the Flora series and vinegar reacting. Vinegar can be altered by organic activity easily, where citric acid does not change its molecular structure for anything. That was part of why I combined the two. It makes me think of how yeast can go too wild in beer without enough hops added.

Last edited:
Bingo...........now the question is, why not just leave out the vinegar?

@Corgy, I have been using the Maxi series by GH and the this cool tomato fertilizer by Tyler called MHP blend, and both have come out cleaner than I had experienced before. No fish tank scent or anything either.

Vinegar is the best for breaking the hard water bonds of calcium. Think of how clean dishes come out of a dish washer when you add a touch of vinegar. So I essentially soften up the water for the citric acid to do its thing. Also multiple sources will always keep more stable. I also want the ease of using a liquid, and tap water is not good for making concentrate mixes. Companies use deionized water or distilled at least for there products to have ultra stable shelf lives.

Think of Excedrin headache medicine. The Tylenol, aspirin, and caffeine all make each other more effective.

@Corgy thank you for the rep. Let me and the others know how this mix works for you. PH down is such a overpriced product. I was spending more on ph down than nutrients lol. Not anymore.

Vinegar is the best for breaking the hard water bonds of calcium. Think of how clean dishes come out of a dish washer when you add a touch of vinegar. So I essentially soften up the water for the citric acid to do its thing. Also multiple sources will always keep more stable. I also want the ease of using a liquid, and tap water is not good for making concentrate mixes. Companies use deionized water or distilled at least for there products to have ultra stable shelf lives.

All Right, citric acid powder has been ordered. I got plenty 25 % vinegar and will just reduce amount according to your recipe.......salutations @Hal 8999 :thumbsup:

@Corgy thank you for the rep. Let me and the others know how this mix works for you. PH down is such a overpriced product. I was spending more on ph down than nutrients lol. Not anymore.

Roger wilco
flying.gif

Yeah, I got the vinegar concentrate for the very same reason, cheap as chips in Aldi and available any day of the week!

I almost told you that there is concentrated vinegar with much higher % as well. Then I thought, wait this is not one of the nubes I have been mentoring on here lol. I like the idea they are food grade chemicals also. I now have a gallon of phosphoric acid to experiment with too. 85% was the strongest I could find. I will probable use the phosphoric during bloom to add extra P.

Back