New Grower Citric Acid with Distilled Vinegar for PH Down

Reaction score
I have noticed that I can not find General Hydroponics ph down powder. The liquid is not as strong and will get expensive over time. I think I will try using a gallon of distilled vinegar and four ounces of citric acid powder dissolved into it. The mix could end up doing better for me due to the natural chelates of vinegar and citric acid. Constant descaling would be nice. Does anyone have any experience with this mixture?

I have noticed that I can not find General Hydroponics ph down powder. The liquid is not as strong and will get expensive over time. I think I will try using a gallon of distilled vinegar and four ounces of citric acid powder dissolved into it. The mix could end up doing better for me due to the natural chelates of vinegar and citric acid. Constant descaling would be nice. Does anyone have any experience with this mixture?
I have always used GH up and down, and never had any problems. I know vinegar makes a slime if you dont watch out.. I hope it works out.

I have some phosphoric acid on the way as well. We will see. Probable going to use the phosphoric for chemical hydro and the vinegar and citric acid for organics.

The vinegar and citric acid mix is holding better than the GH ph down powder ever did. It only takes about a Tablespoon per 5 gallons to bring it down to that high 5-6 range. I use 6 ounces of citric acid powder dissolved into a gallon of distilled white vinegar at %5 acidity. My reservoir has been cleaner than before. I am not surprised. Those two are what I use to clean hard water spots in my shower. Save yourself some trouble and money, give it a try sometime.

I've found vinegar alone to be a very unstable means of pH adjustment, but citric acid in powder form has always done right by me. As has the GHE pH down powder those few times that I've used it.

What's the ideology behind mixing the two?

I've found vinegar alone to be a very unstable means of pH adjustment, but citric acid in powder form has always done right by me. As has the GHE pH down powder those few times that I've used it.

What's the ideology behind mixing the two?
When you use multiple sources of ph down you get the specific benefits of each one. General Hydroponics uses three different chemicals for their powder ph down. The vinegar is an amazing water softener. I need that for my super hard water. Then the citric acid has all the chelate and holding power one could want. It has done excellent for me.

When you use multiple sources of ph down you get the specific benefits of each one. General Hydroponics uses three different chemicals for their powder ph down. The vinegar is an amazing water softener. I need that for my super hard water. Then the citric acid has all the chelate and holding power one could want. It has done excellent for me.

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks!

This mix will work well for my future hydro organic DWC grows, and still keep it fully organic.

Interesting information, thanks for posting.

The 1 gallon 5 % white vinegar and 6 ounces of citric acid powder, is that a stable solution you can keep for years?

Interesting information, thanks for posting.

The 1 gallon 5 % white vinegar and 6 ounces of citric acid powder, is that a stable solution you can keep for years?
It should hold indefinitely. White vinegar and citric acid do not really have a shelf life. They have not changed color, scent, or viscosity in the month they have been mixed together. Seems to be stable as can be. I will use it for wiping my grow tent down too. It will disinfect and dissolve my calcium build up spots.

Back