Lighting Cfl vs led

Dr. Babnik

Virtus ex Alto
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Six Shooter, Black Stone, Stone Dragon, Moroccan and home made hash
Hi, all! Good morning from 55 degrees North.

Brother @2Stoned2Care recommends led.
I listen to people who knows more than me. I am a student still.

Led is expensive and I have large 250W cfl bulbs.

I would be very thankful if you guys would disuss the two light sources.

I consider another tent with a 300w led. The page is in danish, but I recon you recognize the technical parameters. https://ledsale.dk/300w-sun-led-vae...campaign=pla&gclid=CMWphYr-uswCFYHOcgodLk4MJg

Please share your knowledge and considerations with me.

Hi bro i am still new to growing but have done a ton of research and found that leds are alot better than cfls because leds light output is more intense than cfls so they do not need to be as close so you get more coverage of intense light.i have seen cfl grows compared to leds and the leds beat the pants off cfls.someone with more knowledge than me will pop in and advise you.good luck bro

Hi bro i am still new to growing but have done a ton of research and found that leds are alot better than cfls because leds light output is more intense than cfls so they do not need to be as close so you get more coverage of intense light.i have seen cfl grows compared to leds and the leds beat the pants off cfls.someone with more knowledge than me will pop in and advise you.good luck bro
I trust you, but investments require a lot of research and discussion.

LED has to be a future project. I need more growh space, so ordered a tent instead.

Case closed.

Last edited:
He is correct. Your lighting decision should be decided more on your personal needs more than the light choice. Leds are better but this does not mean you should dump 3k on 3 lights like I just did.

How many plants? What would you like to yield per plant? How big is your space? How will you manage heat? If you reply to these questions I'm sure I can help you out. Oh the most important what's your budget?

If you want 1/2 lb plants and your budget is 200$ it's not going to happen. I personally try to yield as much as possible. Lights even the best can be paid for 5 times over in one harvest.

For most money is an issue, if it is I recommend lec or cmh. Sunsystem 315 lec is a great light and can help produce monsters while keeping heat low and energy to a minimum. Cost is around 400-500 depending on where you live.

Mars hydro is another. It's an ok light. Cheap drivers, lacking research and also not to powerful. Its inexpensive but it's also not super efficient. More heat than light basically.

Cfl can also produce but they lack intensity. 2$ bulbs and a lot of them can produce some large plants.

Even something like 6 or 8 tube t5's with different spectrum bulbs can produce. The options are endless. I would personally stay away from any company that claims things that seem to good to be true. Since marijuana growing is the only business where you can lie about everything and get away with it. A light that draws 200 watts but claims to out perform a 600 watt light is bs. Good luck to you

T5's even T8's are near double the efficiency of cfls ...cheaper led's suck.....I got a mars 300 I would gladly trade it for another doublelux T5 or any 2ft t5

@BigSm0 Thanks! I still look around.
I have this in mind: https://rudebutik.com/products/20w-1500w-full-spectrum-led-grow-light-vaekstlys?variant=19703380551
I have requested technical data in English so you can see it.

I have tents (tent 2 is ordered) with dimentions (60x60x160)cm, brand SilverBox DR3. There are room for 4 plants.
I don't work anymore. Her Ladyship denies to pay my hash, so I havd to be self surplied. Thus one tent for veg and one for flower. With 2 tents and both cfl and full spectrum led, I would always have buds and seedlings in progress. Yeilds shoud be max... I like wake'n'bake.

My cfls are 250W. What can I expect from the below shown LED panel compared to my cfl lamps?
View media item 7570

Last edited:
Back