New Grower Candy Cane Auto - Mega Crop - Promix HP

Reaction score
Hi everyone, welcome to my first ever grow journal!
I've been a forum lurker, creeper, peeping tom, WAIT, NOT A PEEPING TOM!, while getting ready for my next auto run, this will be my second ever, my first was with coco coir and CANNA COCO A+B. I'm located in BC, Canada, I can legally grow up to 4 plants but due to space restrictions, I have a 2x4x5 tent in my garage, so I keep it to 2 plants at a time. Although this time I will have 3 until they are big enough for me to remove 1 and move it upstairs to the living room as a budding houseplant...My wife thinks they're neat to keep as a houseplant, but just 1 she says!

-This time and for the first time, I will be using Mega Crop for my nutes and Promix HP as my medium
-As mentioned above, my tent is 2 feet wide X 4 feet long X 5 feet high in my garage
-I will be using 3 gallon pots
-I am running an Electric Sky 180 (version 1.0) from the Green Sunshine Company
-I have a 190cfm exhaust fan running connected to a carbon filter located in the tent
-I have a sweet little humidifier in the tent
-I run a good dehumidifier in the garage, plumed into an outlet pipe (I mainly leave it on even when not needing to bring tent RH down, so that my garage door, which has pains of glass in it, doesn't get all wet and mouldy)
-I have one of those small clip on hurricane fans in the tent for circulation
-I have a little bad ass space heater in the tent that has a built in digital thermometer (love this thing)
-My city tap water varies between 20-30ppm and pH varies form 7.5 - 8.5

What's happened/happening so far :
OK, so far I have already germinated in paper towels and planted the popped seeds once the tap roots were about 1/4 inch long.
2 were planted in 3 gallon pots and 1 was planted in a solo cup because I plan on transplanting that one into a bigger "fancier" pot for placing in my living room because I'm crazy like that.

Anyways, they all poked their heads above the promix on October 8. Today is the 13th.

I've fed them only plain dechlorinated pHd to 6.5 water until the 11th. On the 11th I added some Mega Crop which brought the solution ppm to 170, then added some pH down to 6.1, which brought the total ppm to, if I remember correctly, about 190.

I am using a turkey baster (hahah) to water around the base of the stem and then in a small circle moving outwards. Is this right?

I've been feeding the girls this solution from that point on. The current environmental conditions are a temperature of about 75-77F and RH of about 70-74.

Next post with pictures to follow!

Right then, here are some pictures of the setup and some close ups of the girls. So far they don't look like they're doing so hot.

I can't remember what the first "true" set of leaves are considered, but the first leaves (the larger leaves in the following pictures) all look weird to me. Not really sure what's going on, they're sort of bending backwards, down towards the soil. I don't believe I'm over watering them, nor do I believe I'm under watering them. I work from home, so I get to keep a close eye on them. I simply water once I see the soil around where I previously watered is dry but not bone dry, still darker coloured like there's moisture, but not wet to the touch.

Either way, they're still less than a week old. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, don't want to F-up to early and stunt them for life.

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 112
Any opinions on why my babies are so ugly?

The light is 30 inches above the leaves, so I don't think it's light stress.

However, reading over some other grow journals using Mega Crop, I might be under feeding them. Green Leaf Nutrients feeding calculator recommends a ppm of 277 with seedlings. And just checking now, my solution is currently at 194ppm.

Wondering if they're hungry for a little more. What do you guys think?

Looking at other peoples grows using MC, their second leaves are much bigger, I feel like growth is slow across all 3 plants.

What’s the temp and humidity. Are you putting domes over them. And is your ppm total or just nutrients?

subbed .... wanna see the ES 180 preform ..... nice light I’m thinking about one myself .....

Nice setup as well but as plants grow might consider a monkey and use existing fan blowing down or up against light, depending on Temps at plant level desired .....

Temps could go up, I like 78-82 for youngsters .... RH is good but a smidge higher would not hurt .....

Watering is okay, I use a baster myself when this young but I’m concerned about dryness of soil - personally I would water outside couple inches in addition to baster seedling water so as to at least dampen outside with that mix you have it drains well ......

Best of Grows,
MOB

subbed .... wanna see the ES 180 preform ..... nice light I’m thinking about one myself .....

Nice setup as well but as plants grow might consider a monkey and use existing fan blowing down or up against light, depending on Temps at plant level desired .....

Temps could go up, I like 78-82 for youngsters .... RH is good but a smidge higher would not hurt .....

Watering is okay, I use a baster myself when this young but I’m concerned about dryness of soil - personally I would water outside couple inches in addition to baster seedling water so as to at least dampen outside with that mix you have it drains well ......

Best of Grows,
MOB
Hey @MrOldBoy thanks for following along.

On my last grow, I was very happy with how the ES 180 preformed. The largest of colas were literally touching the bottom of the panel for a few days until I tied them down and away, but only by about 3 inches. They never burned or had any problems. I was blown away. It was a 1 plant autoflower grow and I got about 160 grams dried flower. I was a happy camper.

I've been thinking of getting another little fan to blow at the top of the light and direct it towards the exhaust filter.

When you say "water outside a couple inches", do you mean make my watering circle bigger than it is or do you mean around the edge of the pot?

:welcome:Hi @BCBUDY welcome to AFN! :welcome: I just looked up your light and they talk about 12" to 15" height and you are running 30" so I think you should verify the hang height?

:vibe:

Hey @MrOldBoy thanks for following along.

On my last grow, I was very happy with how the ES 180 preformed. The largest of colas were literally touching the bottom of the panel for a few days until I tied them down and away, but only by about 3 inches. They never burned or had any problems. I was blown away. It was a 1 plant autoflower grow and I got about 160 grams dried flower. I was a happy camper.

I've been thinking of getting another little fan to blow at the top of the light and direct it towards the exhaust filter.

When you say "water outside a couple inches", do you mean make my watering circle bigger than it is or do you mean around the edge of the pot?

I would dampen outside inch or two and continue watering inside with baster until the two eventually meet. Thanks for light review, sounds awesome!

Peace,
MOB

Back