Bottom Feeding

Been bottom feeding for like two days with the DE at the top of coco. Haven’t noticed any negative effects so far. My big bud finally came but I’m on week six of flower. Just gave a good dose of it and will continue big bud for this week, then overdrive next week and hopefully it will help these buds dense up a bit. The plants seem to absorb the bottom feed rapidly. Only thing I’ve noticed so far is some salts/hairs (maybe roots) in the bottom of the saucer. Means I need to clean the saucers afterwards. It’s a nightmare because water spillage is easy and I have to lift the plants up each time to put water in lol. My flood tray isn’t long enough to fit my girls in there anymore and they are at different stages so I can’t just add a feed to the flood tray. Just hoping these gnats get the drift and fuck off rapidly. Still some flying around

Hopefully it all come together mate.

Have you thought about getting little submersible pump to suck up the water?

Qb

Hopefully it all come together mate.

Have you thought about getting little submersible pump to suck up the water?

Qb

The saucers I have JUST fit my 16L pots. So I have to lift. I realised this time around my plants are better in a 12L pot. I have the watering techniques dialed down better with them. I have done quite a bit of experimenting this grow because I like to learn as much as I can, that way I can discard what doesn’t work as well for me, and keep what does. Then perfect technique from there. I quite like the bottom feeding because it makes it easier for me to feed multiple times per day. for example feeding one litre every 3hr or so. Whereas when I feed to run off with my sprayer, it takes quite a while haha time consuming and back breaking. I really do believe bottom feeding seedlings in solo cups gets those roots going like crazy though. I tend to transplant but I ran into a transplant issue this time around because I rushed into this grow. Sometimes if I don’t make an instant decision, I try to talk myself out of it because the country i am in cannabis is still illegal :(. I got a fresh batch of coco though and will probably pop another bean in a few days. I grew a massive Mephisto 3wok last year and fed her too much b-vitamins too early in flower and she Hermied. i eventually found out that was the cause. So I have a shit ton of beans from an amazing 3Wok plant. I had other female plants in beside her so she may have cross pollinated? Who knows but I have like 50 seeds stored in a zip bag. Will the hermie? Who knows haha but I may pop one to see what it comes out like. I’m interested in growing Tropicana cookies too. May run two more plants when these finish... :smoking: also the water pump thing.. do u have any examples? I had to make a DIY water sucker and I still use it. I made it from a box with lid, ran a hose through a hole in the lid,fire the opposite end of the hose into the saucers and then use a hover to Vacuum through the box and it causes the hose to suck up the water in the saucerdirectly into the box

If you search for mini submersible water pump or aquarium water pump you'll find what you're after.
Or even one of those wet/dry shop vacs are handy.

Qb

This is very interesting and educational for me because I was under the impression that bottom feeding with coco was a no-no. I dont have a gnat problem but I love your plan as I’m currently doing the back bending sprayer thing too haha.

This is very interesting and educational for me because I was under the impression that bottom feeding with coco was a no-no. I dont have a gnat problem but I love your plan as I’m currently doing the back bending sprayer thing too haha.
The nosel on my hose is thin so it takes a while haha. As for bottom feeding, I’ve only been doing it three days now I believe. It is very interesting. I sat watching exactly what the plant was doing and you can literally see the roots poke out and back in which is odd to see. You can watch them soak the water up quickly. If you go in an hour later and feed more and it doesn’t draw it up quickly, you know it doesn’t want as much. I’ve fed around 2L today around 2hrs apart. I noticed my Bruce banner stopped sucking up as quick after another 750ml. So she’s had 1.75L today in two hours. It’s kinda fun tbh because you don’t overwater this way. When they stop sucking up the water you know they’ve had enough. I’ll try Bruce banner again in a few hours with another 500ml to see if she uptakes it. It is a good method so far for sure. It is helping me eliminate fungus gnats and I can see how hungry they are within hours so I know how much they will wanna drink. If you top feed 3L for example with a sprayer and you wanna do this several times a day, it becomes a bitch because it takes so much time. Bottom feedin definitely eliminates that

I did autopots with coco/perlite, and the wicking worked fine. The main thing with sub-irrigation of any kind is that management of nute concentration can be trickier. In order to avoid salt buildup, EC levels need to be lower than with top irrigation to runoff. I don't do subirrigation with salt nutes any more, I find top irrigation to be more easily managed, although at the cost of throwing out a lot of nutes. :pighug:

I did autopots with coco/perlite, and the wicking worked fine. The main thing with sub-irrigation of any kind is that management of nute concentration can be trickier. In order to avoid salt buildup, EC levels need to be lower than with top irrigation to runoff. I don't do subirrigation with salt nutes any more, I find top irrigation to be more easily managed, although at the cost of throwing out a lot of nutes. :pighug:
Yeah this was the only concern I had.. salt build up. My feed is a bit heavier since I’ve been packing in the P K in six week of flower. My plan for this is to keep bottom feeding over the next few days to kill the gnats off and then occasionally do a bigger volume top feed to bring the ppms down if they start building up. Something along the lines of... bottom feed for five days in a row, heavy top feed to rid salts on the 6th. I dunno if it will work just yet, but I will soon find out

Yeah this was the only concern I had.. salt build up. My feed is a bit heavier since I’ve been packing in the P K in six week of flower. My plan for this is to keep bottom feeding over the next few days to kill the gnats off and then occasionally do a bigger volume top feed to bring the ppms down if they start building up. Something along the lines of... bottom feed for five days in a row, heavy top feed to rid salts on the 6th. I dunno if it will work just yet, but I will soon find out
Intermittent top feeding to significant runoff definitely helps avoid problems, at least it will with soil-less media and salt nutes. Soil is more complicated. There are a few autopot peeps here who do exactly that in their autopot grows with salt nutes. If I ever moved back to autopots to avoid the waste of water and nutes, that is exactly how I would manage the grow. I would top water to at least 20-30% runoff ~once a week, and the runoff would be disposed of immediately.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

Update.. been doing this for at least four days and it’s genuinely easier than top feeding. The girls are sucking up around a litre every few hours or less(usually around 2hr). Makes multi feeding easy and I may actually keep this up until they finish. I am gonna test bottom feeding during a veg soon. I really like this method so far.

Anyways, the reason for the update is just to let you guys know the method is working for killing annoying fungus gnats. I seen one and it was dead/stuck to the bottom of my fabric pot. I usually see a couple flying around but nothing so far which is great news. DE+bottom.feeding+sticky traps = deadly weapon haha quite literally. No “ill” effects so far. However, I will be doing a top feed tomorrow no doubt just to check on the ppms and flush salts out if required. Can’t wait to try this method from start to finish with my next beans. Excuse the mess. I’ve been busy the past couple days so I need to clean up in there tomorrow and clean up canopies and so on. :smoking:

C66A5A22-FD5D-4944-90DA-4A5F50446416.jpeg

Interesting. I've bottom fed lots of other plants outside = peppers and such and it's just easier. I've always been meaning to do a butt-chug grow in the tent. Never have. Always figured it would work like the "working man's" autopot.

Back