Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

❤️ ... It's good for the soul.

That's a super fat carp...seeing that and knowing you're on the other side of the pond makes me think of Wels catfish, but I don't know that those monsters are as close to you 🦈

Hope you're getting some rest :cheers:
No, for catfish I would need to go too France. Belgium is known for it's big carp.
I'm now fishing on a small lake or big pond, lol.

Yeah, everybody is welcome in this thread. The more the merrier I would say. :cheers:
@Doctor's Choice, I feel we all have a big thank you to say to you, because it all started with you guys. These old timers went against the mainstream creating something that no one wanted and look now, several decades later and auto's are more popular then ever!!

To all...Sorry for being absent for a while. I'm dealing with some personal issues. I'll be back though!!
Currently spending loads of time fishing...
View attachment 1663823

...and searching for that light at the end of the tunnel 🕯️
giphy.gif

Speaking of lights. I've got two interested parties for a lighting demo, which is great as I don't want to disappoint you guys and more specifically my buddy with a failure because of a bad light. Shame though, as I would have prefered to show off @Marshydro products. I feel you get the most bang for your buck when using their equipment. Hope I will get the same results with the new supplier(s)🤞

Regards,

Bob's
I never knew you liked Carp fishing, my wife says I'm obsessed with it.... I always tell her the word obsession, is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated. :crying:

I never knew you liked Carp fishing, my wife says I'm obsessed with it.... I always tell her the word obsession, is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated. :crying:
Carp are awesome fish to catch. I can't always tell what is on my line, but with a carp I know.

I did do a lot of carpfishing in my younger years. Now, my back can't handle it. So I park my van next to the lake and sleep in the back on a matras. Speaking of being spoiled. Actually sold loads of gear a couple of years ago as I wasn't fishing anymore, but kept my rods and reels. Bought a bag of boilies added my secret sauce (cod liver oil) and within an hour I got my first bite.

Carp are awesome fish to catch. I can't always tell what is on my line, but with a carp I know.
Well, it depends...If your fishing where there's loads of carp being fished, they start to know what's about to happen. And they are always overfed by overeager younglings who think prefeeding with 20kg of boilies will keep the carp on the spot...I used to walk or ride my bike along the canal and seing activity of bubbles would trigger my internal alarm.
The stories I could tell....

Yesterday was a dark day for me, I was deep down in a dark hole. And not the hobbit hole my mate @NORBY resides in :cheers:
The fact that all my fishes I trew out to the light companies didn't get even one bite took me even further down the rabit hole.
But later that evening things started to change. My DIY brain gave me a kick in the ass and I got to work...Unloaded my tinkering closet and found some nice gear to get me started...My brain was thinking clearly now after almost two weeks of being sober...

Some nice driverless 50W COB Leds and in all different kalvin values. The orange one's are the blurple kind (380-840nm or 3500K - 7900K), right to that are warm white versions (3000K) and below the cold white (6500K).
The COB led strip has Kelvin value of 4500, but is only 30W in total. So for the clone/mother tent I'm gonna use the cold white COBs and maybe a couple warm white to hang above the mother(s).
1707316692604 _small.jpg

Dug into my parts box and found six CPU fans with heatsink. In the topleft there's also a small PSU to power the fans.
1707316692600 _small.jpg

For those of you interested in which heatsink/fan these are, here's a close-up. 🔍
1707316692623 _small.jpg

I still have loads of extruded aluminum available, don't ask where I got it 🤞
I removed one corner from the extrusion with a small dremel tool. This created a platform for the fan to be mounted on.
1707316692619 _small.jpg

I removed the aluminum extrusion with the led strip COB from the clone tent and started working on them.
Then cut the pieces to length. I had enough extruded aluminum so divided it so that I had some extra distance between the COB and the centre beam, where the led strip COB is mounted.
1707316692614 _small.jpg

Here's where I called it quits for today. Don't know how I'm going to place the extrusions to spread the light as best as possible. But moving them is just one srewdriver away.
1707316692609 _small.jpg

Next todo with this project:
  • drill and tap holes for the fans to be mounted.
  • Make a wire harness and solder them to the lights
  • Mount the lights with some thermal paste to the heatsinks.
  • Add the 270° glass lenses
  • Clean up the ends of the extrusions with some tape, don't want to damage the inside of the tent. Oh boy, do I miss my 3D printer now...
From now on I'm playing the waiting game again as I've got one ace in my sleeve. I've ordered a 360W triac dimmer, which will allow me to dim the lights to nearly 0%. I'll try and see if I can dim the fans above the lights as well by connecting the PSU behind the triac dimmer. But don't know if that's gonna work...We'll see :thumbsup:
Then to put all them parts in, I've also ordered a project box. Buying two got me free shipping and within 10 days...

So yeah!!! Today the sun is shining!! :coffee:

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Nice DIY going on there Bob, nothing like a man getting his tools out and improvising to clear the mind. and boost the fun receptors.

I did do a lot of carpfishing in my younger years. Now, my back can't handle it. So I park my van next to the lake and sleep in the back on a matras. Speaking of being spoiled. Actually sold loads of gear a couple of years ago as I wasn't fishing anymore, but kept my rods and reels. Bought a bag of boilies added my secret sauce (cod liver oil) and within an hour I got my first bite.

Well, it depends...If your fishing where there's loads of carp being fished, they start to know what's about to happen. And they are always overfed by overeager younglings who think prefeeding with 20kg of boilies will keep the carp on the spot...I used to walk or ride my bike along the canal and seing activity of bubbles would trigger my internal alarm.
The stories I could tell....

Yesterday was a dark day for me, I was deep down in a dark hole. And not the hobbit hole my mate @NORBY resides in :cheers:
The fact that all my fishes I trew out to the light companies didn't get even one bite took me even further down the rabit hole.
But later that evening things started to change. My DIY brain gave me a kick in the ass and I got to work...Unloaded my tinkering closet and found some nice gear to get me started...My brain was thinking clearly now after almost two weeks of being sober...

Some nice driverless 50W COB Leds and in all different kalvin values. The orange one's are the blurple kind (380-840nm or 3500K - 7900K), right to that are warm white versions (3000K) and below the cold white (6500K).
The COB led strip has Kelvin value of 4500, but is only 30W in total. So for the clone/mother tent I'm gonna use the cold white COBs and maybe a couple warm white to hang above the mother(s).
View attachment 1664150

Dug into my parts box and found six CPU fans with heatsink. In the topleft there's also a small PSU to power the fans.
View attachment 1664151

For those of you interested in which heatsink/fan these are, here's a close-up. 🔍
View attachment 1664159

I still have loads of extruded aluminum available, don't ask where I got it 🤞
I removed one corner from the extrusion with a small dremel tool. This created a platform for the fan to be mounted on.
View attachment 1664153

I removed the aluminum extrusion with the led strip COB from the clone tent and started working on them.
Then cut the pieces to length. I had enough extruded aluminum so divided it so that I had some extra distance between the COB and the centre beam, where the led strip COB is mounted.
View attachment 1664156

Here's where I called it quits for today. Don't know how I'm going to place the extrusions to spread the light as best as possible. But moving them is just one srewdriver away.
View attachment 1664157

Next todo with this project:
  • drill and tap holes for the fans to be mounted.
  • Make a wire harness and solder them to the lights
  • Mount the lights with some thermal paste to the heatsinks.
  • Add the 270° glass lenses
  • Clean up the ends of the extrusions with some tape, don't want to damage the inside of the tent. Oh boy, do I miss my 3D printer now...
From now on I'm playing the waiting game again as I've got one ace in my sleeve. I've ordered a 360W triac dimmer, which will allow me to dim the lights to nearly 0%. I'll try and see if I can dim the fans above the lights as well by connecting the PSU behind the triac dimmer. But don't know if that's gonna work...We'll see :thumbsup:
Then to put all them parts in, I've also ordered a project box. Buying two got me free shipping and within 10 days...

So yeah!!! Today the sun is shining!! :coffee:

Regards,

It sounds like you know how to winkle them out ;) I've been chasing one fish now for over a decade, there's only two outcomes, either the fish dies before I catch it or I die before I manage to catch it. :crying:

There's some work gone into that light, when will you have it up and running?

Last edited:
It sounds like you know how to winkle them out ;) I've been chasing one fish now for over a decade, there's only two outcomes, either the fish dies before I catch it or I die before I manage to catch it. :crying:
Yeah, I know of other people wanting to catch that fish. I presume you mean the one that resides in the canal Dessel-Schoten? Between lock 11 & 12?
Last time I saw him coming out of the water he weighed 57kg! Yup, that's 125 pounds for those not using the metric system. But that was a long time ago...Don't know if that fish is still alive. But there are other bigguns in that canal. There's warm cooling water being dumped into that part of the canal, which makes the water temperature even in wintertime being as high as 16°C and at the source of the inflow even 27°C. Like with weed, I like to do my homework. Sat at that canal a couple of times, but also had loads of fights/words with other fishermen claiming my spot. It became to aggressive and never went back to that place.

There's some work gone into that light, when will you have it up and running?
Yup, spent the entire day yesterday carving, cutting and mounting the L-profiles to the main bar. I'm now waiting on the triac dimmer, which will arrive in a couple of weeks. I could have ordered it local at triple the price, but I'm a cheap ass and ordered it on Ali, so the waiting game is a foot.

Since I stopped using, my backpains are getting worse again, but my mental health is getting better. I'm now on benzo's (muscle relaxants) which are in fact just as addictive, but without the mental slope...They don't make me feel as good as when I toke on a joint so I can take these only when I need to. This will dictate when I will continue with the above mentioned schedule. Today is a very bad backpain day so I'm not going to anything else then leigh myself on the couch and surf you people's threads. Googling my eyes out on all them hard buds and gorgeous trichomes.

I want to start the right way, not messing things up because of too little light, so the wait will do me good as I can work on myself meanwhile. I've put myself on a mandatory (at least) 100-day sobriety. Don't know which day I'm at right now and actually don't wanna know as I would start focusing on the days remaining (ASS perhaps?). But I do know that when I will harvest them first White Widow buds them 100 days will surely be over.
Then I only need to find a balance between using and addiction, which is moot of course...being an addict :shrug:

Yeah, I know of other people wanting to catch that fish. I presume you mean the one that resides in the canal Dessel-Schoten? Between lock 11 & 12?
Last time I saw him coming out of the water he weighed 57kg! Yup, that's 125 pounds for those not using the metric system. But that was a long time ago...Don't know if that fish is still alive. But there are other bigguns in that canal. There's warm cooling water being dumped into that part of the canal, which makes the water temperature even in wintertime being as high as 16°C and at the source of the inflow even 27°C. Like with weed, I like to do my homework. Sat at that canal a couple of times, but also had loads of fights/words with other fishermen claiming my spot. It became to aggressive and never went back to that place.

Yup, spent the entire day yesterday carving, cutting and mounting the L-profiles to the main bar. I'm now waiting on the triac dimmer, which will arrive in a couple of weeks. I could have ordered it local at triple the price, but I'm a cheap ass and ordered it on Ali, so the waiting game is a foot.

Since I stopped using, my backpains are getting worse again, but my mental health is getting better. I'm now on benzo's (muscle relaxants) which are in fact just as addictive, but without the mental slope...They don't make me feel as good as when I toke on a joint so I can take these only when I need to. This will dictate when I will continue with the above mentioned schedule. Today is a very bad backpain day so I'm not going to anything else then leigh myself on the couch and surf you people's threads. Googling my eyes out on all them hard buds and gorgeous trichomes.

I want to start the right way, not messing things up because of too little light, so the wait will do me good as I can work on myself meanwhile. I've put myself on a mandatory (at least) 100-day sobriety. Don't know which day I'm at right now and actually don't wanna know as I would start focusing on the days remaining (ASS perhaps?). But I do know that when I will harvest them first White Widow buds them 100 days will surely be over.
Then I only need to find a balance between using and addiction, which is moot of course...being an addict :shrug:
Oh my there's some Big girls in that stretch, it possibly makes Lake Bled a nod pond :crying: . I haven't ventured over to Schoten but have heard it's name in low whispers mentioned on those jungle drums. I'm looking at some of the Park lakes in West Poland for a trip next year or maybe some forgotten parts of Slovenia that have the potential to through up a monster ;)

It sounds like you have your situation sorted out and brother I'm sending you purple positive energy for that 100 day stint ;)

It sounds like you have your situation sorted out and brother I'm sending you purple positive energy for that 100 day stint ;)
Thanks brother. This afternoon when my medication kicked in and I didn't feel the pain in my back I did get to work again...Yeah I know...the brake thingy in my head is broken and so is the signal light :rofl:
Anywho, keeping busy keeps the sad thoughts away so I got to work. Did take my time and took plenty of smoking (tabaco) breaks.

Since I've got several different types of CPU coolers each one was custom fitted, marked with a sharpie and then drilled. After I threaded the holes so I could screw directly into the aluminum. Overkill as I could glue them with some superglue to the aluminum, but wanted to do it the right way and it was therapeutic for me :thumbsup:
One down, five to go...
1707404475077 _small.jpg

Number two done. Need to clean those fins before use.
1707404475070 _small.jpg

number three and four done.... :woohoo:
1707404475054 _small.jpg

Nice huh :hump:
I've already got an idea for making the end pieces to the extrusions. Gonna buy a tube of black or grey silicone, some cling foil and a couple of pieces of plywood. Wrap the cling foil around a square piece of plywood, spread out a thick layer of silicone and press against the ends of the extrusions. Let it hard out, unwrap the plywood from the cling foil and peel the cling foil from the silicone. Then trim the sides and voilla...At least, that's how I imagine it to happen 🤞
1707404475046 _small.jpg

Done mounting all the coolers. Now it's time to clean up and call it quits for today.
1707404475034 _small.jpg

Next todo is make a wire harness and solder the lights to it. I've decided to use all cold white 6500K COB's as I'm not going to flower in this tent. And let's not forget the 30W led strip COB which gives of 4500K and temper out the coolness of the 300W in total cool white lights :haha:
Then mount the leds to the CPU coolers. But before I can do that I need my project box which will arrive in a week. I'm not 100% sure where to place the box, but it most likely it'll be placed on top of the main bar, right side of the middle two COB's.
When I made the first iteration of this light I used epoxy to glue the wifi powerstrip to the main bar. This will not come off without damaging the powerstrip, that's why the right side is out of equilibrium with the other side.
Inside the box will come a 12V 2A power supply for the fans and the wifi enabled triac dimmer. I've got a couple of small 12V fans in my tinker boxes and gonna use one to actively cool the project box. One side will get a hole for the fan and the other side some slits to vent the hot air.

Oh and before I forget, my pepper and tomato seeds have arrived and will be sown together with the White Widow seeds. Room enough for now and by the time the peppers and tomatoes can go to the greenhouse we can start the next step in our grow project. 👌

Regards,

Hey guys,

Some time ago I was messing around with a Bokashi kit. You know the fermenting thing with everything out of the kitchen, bone's and all!
Well after fermenting I worked this into the soil pile in my greenhouse and today I remembered it was more then a month ago that I dug that trench and dumped the bokashi in it.
This is what I saw when I unwrapped the tarp. note, the tarp is 4x6m / 13x20'. Just to give you an idea of the amount that's lying there
1707489197961 _small.jpg

The Mycotrex and Bactrex I added to the Biochar after loading it with ammonia and carbohydrates has done it's job!!!
1707489197957 _small.jpg

Have a look at all that fluffyness and even the worms are enjoying there selves...
1707489197951 _small.jpg

I turned the pile over several times, but except for a tomato peel I couldn't identify anything what was once food scraps. And I mean, everything went inside those buckets. My mate is a chef in a restaurant and he told the crew, everything goes in the bucket except for the napkins, which are usually left on the plate when it returns to the kitchen. He was laughing when he gave me the full buckets back after two days. Told me it would stink up the place in no time. Who's laughing now bro 😎
1707489197944 _small.jpg

Am already pondering to make a large batch of biochar. Something like 100L or so...This batch of soil only got about 10-20L of the stuff.
Got myself a large 200L drum lying around and trimmed my fruit trees last winter. I might be able to fill that barrel to the brim, light it up and close it off again. We'll see, might as well buy a couple of cheap bags charcoal, light that up until whitehot and douse the fire with lots of water. It's the steam that's generated what creates the larger surface area inside the pieces of charcoal. It also removes the last bits of bitumen and tar inside the coal.

Anywho, that's my update for today...The sun is shining you guys!! ☀️😎

Back