Best strains for sub-tropical, humid, mountain grow

Ahhh you are one of the ones I would have tagged if my memory was sharper!! :D
OOH really...the magnums are resistant huh? "Better to cut and fly, than wait and cry" ;) nice man!

Maria - between seedfinder and leafly there is a ton of information. You and I are similar that we like classic strains. Next year I am doing the outdoor Grow "Season 3: Year of the Widows Blues" which will be several breeders from spain and Holland(dutch passion, bomb seeds, dinafem, sweet seeds, delicious seeds), and almost all of the strains either have white widow or blueberry in them.

This year I am running some classics too like Durban POison, Passion [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG], Blueberry, Chronic X White widow

LOL 912, I been off air for a while. I thought it was you who told me the "cut & dry" saying, it was someone on afn
:baked: I think we have lost the landrace strains these days. Most of the growers of where the landraces' originate from will admit that the pure originals have been lost with hybrid. The "Strain Hunters" series on YouTube is pretty cool if you havent seen it. If someone claimed to have pure landrace strian seeds, I'd be very dubious, but I'd like to be shown to be wrong.

LOL 912, I been off air for a while. I thought it was you who told me the "cut & dry" saying, it was someone on afn
:baked: I think we have lost the landrace strains these days. Most of the growers of where the landraces' originate from will admit that the pure originals have been lost with hybrid. The "Strain Hunters" series on YouTube is pretty cool if you havent seen it. If someone claimed to have pure landrace strian seeds, I'd be very dubious, but I'd like to be shown to be wrong.

Haha yeah it was me that though up the "Better to cut and fly, than wait and cry" :) Hey, hope you are doing well Vas

Yeah, it's interesting when they get to Jamaica (I think) and Arjan and Franco are both saying, oh, this is the lemon haze, and stuff. And the same in the Swaziland trip, when it takes them a few gardens before they get to actual Swazi, the other growers saying how they get their seeds from some guy (in Jo'burg) that are probably of Dutch origins. I think that the India / Nepal mission and Morocco seemed to be mainly native.

Hola Maria ! I live in Australia, further south than Hecno it is sub tropical. Basically every morning, all year around is 75-100% humidity, and then drops down in the afternoon, so I have had my share of mould problems LOL. Mould..it is what it is, it is part of nature and part of growing MJ in humid areas. The key is prevention. I have had very good results in using a 10-1 Water-Milk spray on the early forming buds. There is a thread about mould prevention etc, search for it here in AFN. Also if I cut some mould out of a plant , if it happens second time, I harvest. whats the sayng.."Better to cut and dry rather than wait and cry" LOL. Some plants even of the same strain may be more resistant than others just due to the fact they are healthier and so are more resistant to any pest and disease attack. I would give Buddha Magnums a try, good solid, stable auto's and quite robust in my exoerience. I also found some of the Shortstuff Seeds strains to be good.
:baked:

Hi @Vas Deferens (how did you think of this for a nick? haha!!!)

Are you up north in the jungle (NT or Queensland) or cooler areas like NSW or Vic or SA? I'm guessing up north from your description.
I'm just trying to get a handle, because when you say Australia, it's a big place, with lots of difference in climate.
Only if you feel free to divulge, of course!

I'll keep the milk mix idea in mind, sounds interesting.

Hi @Vas Deferens (how did you think of this for a nick? haha!!!)

Are you up north in the jungle (NT or Queensland) or cooler areas like NSW or Vic or SA? I'm guessing up north from your description.
I'm just trying to get a handle, because when you say Australia, it's a big place, with lots of difference in climate.
Only if you feel free to divulge, of course!

I'll keep the milk mix idea in mind, sounds interesting.

LOL, yes you are right, Australia is a large continent with various climates, No I am not in the jungle like Hecno, I am about 2000km south from him who lives and grows in a tough tropical (wet/dry)l climate. I still get seasons here but being "sub" tropical" with high humidity happening year round , I can pull off 3 x photo crops per year in this lat.

Hi Maria, ive been through this thread and all this i formation is good, great even but it takes an even playing field to beat the mold. Try your best to control it through growing methods, ph and fast finishing strains as mj usually gets moldy during flower periods. Research the type of mold and check to see if your conditions match it. Otherwise lollypopping and airflow and the latter will help.

Last edited:
@Maria Sanchez
Hello, from my experience(well, mostly theory because I'm far more north than you) there are two main approaches to growing in your latitude/climate. First forget about most AF varieties, they are for indoor conditions with stable environment and lots of light hours.
Varieties to consider are tropical sativas and semi/super autos with mostly sativa genes.
From the super/semi autos I can suggest LaBuenaHierba(semi autos) and FlashSeeds(superautos), these plants have autoflower properties with extended veg time, so they get big and grow tall enough to avoid most soil borne fungus and molds(normal autos are too small and catch a lot of those in guerrilla location). For example Flash has Muay Thai which is super resistent to molds, probably alos Panama Lime is resistent, so those might be a good choice. LaBuenaHierba makes very sturdy semi autos great for guerrilla but has no catalog of seds to buy, you must contact him personally to get some seeds.
The traditional approach would be to grow tropical or subtropical sativas, many varieties come to mind. I seen some great results with Ace seeds(Zamaldelica, PurpleHazeMalawi, VietnamBlackThai, Guatemala...), Cannabiogen(Colombia PuntoRojo, Destroyer...), RealSeedsCompany(Nepalese sativas) and also others like OriginalHaze and Kerala x Haze, other Haze crosses... My bet would be for SE Asian genetics.

So maybe you could try both styles, maybe also some normal AF seeds just for experimenting a bit.
Truth is it's most important to get experience with the climate and spot, so just grab some seeds and put them where you can take a bit of care for the plants.

Good luck!

LOL, yes you are right, Australia is a large continent with various climates, No I am not in the jungle like Hecno, I am about 2000km south from him who lives and grows in a tough tropical (wet/dry)l climate. I still get seasons here but being "sub" tropical" with high humidity happening year round , I can pull off 3 x photo crops per year in this lat.

Thanks @Vas Deferens
I can probably kind of guess where you are.

Hi Maria, ive been through this thread and all this i formation is good, great even but it takes an even playing field to beat the mold. Try your best to control it through growing methods, ph and fast finishing strains as mj usually gets moldy during flower periods. Research the type of mold and check to see if your conditions match it. Otherwise lollypopping and airflow and the latter will help.

Hi @strakey
Hopefully in another month or two I'll be able to see what actually with some common auto strains in this climate.
Assuming that security holds, and they don't just get eaten by the local wildlife.

@Maria Sanchez
Hello, from my experience(well, mostly theory because I'm far more north than you) there are two main approaches to growing in your latitude/climate. First forget about most AF varieties, they are for indoor conditions with stable environment and lots of light hours.
Varieties to consider are tropical sativas and semi/super autos with mostly sativa genes.
From the super/semi autos I can suggest LaBuenaHierba(semi autos) and FlashSeeds(superautos), these plants have autoflower properties with extended veg time, so they get big and grow tall enough to avoid most soil borne fungus and molds(normal autos are too small and catch a lot of those in guerrilla location). For example Flash has Muay Thai which is super resistent to molds, probably alos Panama Lime is resistent, so those might be a good choice. LaBuenaHierba makes very sturdy semi autos great for guerrilla but has no catalog of seds to buy, you must contact him personally to get some seeds.
The traditional approach would be to grow tropical or subtropical sativas, many varieties come to mind. I seen some great results with Ace seeds(Zamaldelica, PurpleHazeMalawi, VietnamBlackThai, Guatemala...), Cannabiogen(Colombia PuntoRojo, Destroyer...), RealSeedsCompany(Nepalese sativas) and also others like OriginalHaze and Kerala x Haze, other Haze crosses... My bet would be for SE Asian genetics.

So maybe you could try both styles, maybe also some normal AF seeds just for experimenting a bit.
Truth is it's most important to get experience with the climate and spot, so just grab some seeds and put them where you can take a bit of care for the plants.

Good luck!

Thanks @Balarama
This is my present thinking, too, with straight tropical / subtropical sativas or sativa dominant super or large auto strains.
@La Buena Hierba does have a site, mentioned in another thread somewhere...
Flash also look excellent.
If the present grow is even vaguely successful, the next step may be to get a fairly diverse range of such strains, and run with them.
I'm also wondering if since the daylight hours over the course of a year are from about 10.5 to 13.5 hrs, if just long season photo strains would work.
But on the other hand, a long season sativa (e.g. flowering over 12+ weeks) means more security issues, especially as the plant gets very large.

So many strains, so many choices!
What's a ganja girl to do? Haha!

Love and hugs to you all,
Maria

Well with that photoperiod you should avoid indica and 50/50 hybrids as they will probably behave like auto plants and start flowering very early.
I'd get a few Fem Mix packs from Ace, Cannabiogen and Tropical seeds and see what works best for the desired taste. Of course also Flash and LBH would be on my menu:)
LBH's site is made for south america, I think.

Cheers

Back