Indoor Bahia Blackhead Pheno Hunt

20230622_141042.jpg

Healthy and happy today. The specimen at the upper left has some funky lettuce leaves that I expect it to grow out of. The seedling on the bottom ran out of water the other day and basically just fell over. A few minutes after adding water it popped back up. After taking this picture I added dirt to hold it upright.

The four reserve seeds I'm adding to this grow haven't sprouted afaik, but should be poking out of their pods tomorrow.

In case you're interested, this is my lighting setup.
20230622_143253.jpg

Notice I cut the shroud on the CMH to provide light to the area between the lights for more coverage. If you use a CMH to cover a broad area, you might try this because it works really well.

Now I have 10 seedlings. One is really slow being started, and I'll cull it if it doesn't do better soon. The rest are doing really well but there's about a 10 day difference between the oldest and youngest seedlings.

I put them outside in the shade and once they're hardened off they'll probably be outside all summer.
20230628_134457.jpg

Hope for females! I'll be culling the males because I don't have a good way to isolate them with the other seed runs I'm doing. I'll be smashing the best females together to create seeds when this hunt is over.

They're looking terrible right now, but they looked worse a couple of days ago. They've been having a hard time of it because of high temperatures, low humidity and those 1 liter pots heating up. They also needed nutes because I planted them in really crappy soil.

I'll keep them in these tiny pots for now. As soon as I know sex, any females will be up-potted and males will be culled.

One seedling was killed yesterday by the heat, which leaves me 9 plants to play with.
20230708_093407.jpg

Some generic rodent chewed the trunk through below the first node, leaving just a ribbon of bark on one side. Then it left without eating anything else. Effing typical. 😠

I held the plant while my wife wrapped it with tape. Then I watered it and sprayed it down really well. I think it will survive, but will probably end up much shorter.
20230715_124330.jpg

Here are the other plants in the grow.
Note some are much smaller - they're also younger.

20230715_124441.jpg

OMFG 💥 I LOVE THIS PLANT!
20230715_181547.jpg

I thought it was done for, but some indoor TLC and it's fine as wine! It might lose two leaves....

Last edited:
I'm about a month in, and this heatwave has been really stressing the plants due to the 1 liter pot heating up so much. Especially the smaller two. I was going to wait for them to show sex before up-potting them, but decided to do that today. Now they're in in 5 gallon tall pots.

20230721_070925.jpg

Most of them look stressed, except this one, but I'm pretty confident that by the end of the weekend they'll be taking off.

20230721_070932.jpg

I chased a rabbit out of the garden yesterday. Hopefully he's not fond of cannabis but I'm guessing he would be glad to trash my grow.

I'm pretty sure I botched this grow. I had planted them in whatever media I could scrape together, some are doing well and some, not so well.
20230724_183858.jpg

I spent almost $200 today that I shouldn't have getting proper living soil and amendments. If the mix I up-potted them to last week doesn't fix things, I'll be removing them from these pots, carefully removing whatever soil I can, and planting in Buildasoil R3. I've done this in the past with success.

The heat wave has been brutal as well. On the upside, the weaker plants have been culled by mother nature and my own unwise decisions, so these should be the toughest plants in the set. I'm hoping like hell they're all female, but most likely I'll just have three to work with. Even with just three, one of them is better than the others, so this is technically still a pheno hunt.

Back