Automatic Jack Herer. 10 days old.

Ha... UPS decides to notify me this morning that it was late. Big duh. But according to their website it is currently on a truck for delivery and they usually deliver here within the next hour to 2 hours. I'll try not try scare the Driver with my enthusiasm! :biggrin:

Cool, then you can verify that info one way or the other

Not sure why none of the site pros have chimed in on her yet, maybe it's my breath.....

:yoinks:

Cool, then you can verify that info one way or the other

Not sure why none of the site pros have chimed in on her yet, maybe it's my breath.....

:yoinks:
Well without the PH I kind of figured it was untouchable. But it's good to have somebody else's eyes on it in the meantime!

Well without the PH I kind of figured it was untouchable. But it's good to have somebody else's eyes on it in the meantime!

Yeah, but it should be recognizable to somebody....

The color thing might just be as simple as a residual effect from starting life as a helmet head.

I have always gotten rid of stuck husks rather quickly myself so if it is I wouldn't recognize it as that.

Well, see what your new meter says and go from there....

Peace
Hash

:toke: Hi Eye's.... Okay, I'm with HashMaster, that looks a lot like lensing burn to me,... droplets that stay on top of the leaves under sufficiently strong light (HID, LED, not fluoro') can act like a lens, focusing the light into an intense point,.. any nute's in the water can amplify the effect too,... most important is the new growth looks fine! Auto's tend to build below strongly at first, so upstairs, things can seem slow going initially,...
...color on the very newest growth is normal, a protective measure when light is strong, maybe too strong-? Seedlings want less intense light for the first couple weeks,... it'll fade out soon!
.... Ah, you're in coco-- this is a rather specialized medium, and cannot be treated like soil! If you haven't researched coco, and it's unusual Cation Exchange properties, and other culture use specifics, check out the coco section here, and the web (Canna has a good info base at theirs too), and definitely look up and ask help from our skilled coco-nut's here (Bromeo, Truu, Waximus, etc.), ... coco is a Ca hog, and will bind it up and keep it from the plant until it's sated,... ditto for Mg, but to a much lesser extent, so unless you have specific nutes for coco, you'll need a Ca-Mg supplement; my understanding is that you never use just plain water, it must have some Ca-Mg in it and/or nutes (I've not grown in coco, but I'm learning the details because so many folks end up in trouble with it, having not looked into it's specific for culture)... you want low 6's pH in there (FF soils are showing to be crappy-acidic, coco is not a true soil, BTW); coco has several nice advantages to it, one is it's superior "breathing" capacity even when well watered,... it does not have any real nutrient in it, so feeding has to start within a week (seedlings live off the cotyldons at first)
...am I reading that right, a 20 gal smart pot? Much too big Eye's, she just won't get that big, and in coco, it's problematic to keep things like moisture and nute's balanced,... in coco, small volume pots are the ticket, one of it's other advantages,...most folks run 1-3gal pots, maybe 4 or so for photo's,... I recommend a transplant into a much smaller pot,... That A8 unit is great! keep it clean and dry between uses, and always buff the tip before use, let it sit for a few minutes before reading, but never leave it in there for long periods,...

:toke: Hi Eye's.... Okay, I'm with HashMaster, that looks a lot like lensing burn to me,... droplets that stay on top of the leaves under sufficiently strong light (HID, LED, not fluoro') can act like a lens, focusing the light into an intense point,.. any nute's in the water can amplify the effect too,... most important is the new growth looks fine! Auto's tend to build below strongly at first, so upstairs, things can seem slow going initially,...
...color on the very newest growth is normal, a protective measure when light is strong, maybe too strong-? Seedlings want less intense light for the first couple weeks,... it'll fade out soon!
.... Ah, you're in coco-- this is a rather specialized medium, and cannot be treated like soil! If you haven't researched coco, and it's unusual Cation Exchange properties, and other culture use specifics, check out the coco section here, and the web (Canna has a good info base at theirs too), and definitely look up and ask help from our skilled coco-nut's here (Bromeo, Truu, Waximus, etc.), ... coco is a Ca hog, and will bind it up and keep it from the plant until it's sated,... ditto for Mg, but to a much lesser extent, so unless you have specific nutes for coco, you'll need a Ca-Mg supplement; my understanding is that you never use just plain water, it must have some Ca-Mg in it and/or nutes (I've not grown in coco, but I'm learning the details because so many folks end up in trouble with it, having not looked into it's specific for culture)... you want low 6's pH in there (FF soils are showing to be crappy-acidic, coco is not a true soil, BTW); coco has several nice advantages to it, one is it's superior "breathing" capacity even when well watered,... it does not have any real nutrient in it, so feeding has to start within a week (seedlings live off the cotyldons at first)
...am I reading that right, a 20 gal smart pot? Much too big Eye's, she just won't get that big, and in coco, it's problematic to keep things like moisture and nute's balanced,... in coco, small volume pots are the ticket, one of it's other advantages,...most folks run 1-3gal pots, maybe 4 or so for photo's,... I recommend a transplant into a much smaller pot,... That A8 unit is great! keep it clean and dry between uses, and always buff the tip before use, let it sit for a few minutes before reading, but never leave it in there for long periods,...
Hi @Waira ! The ff coco loco is actually a potting mix. I think that's why there's been so much confusion with the required pH level. Here's a picture of the back of the bag that lists the ingredients. I thought it looked like it had some pretty good stuff in there!
ingredients' are composted forest humus, coco coir, perlite, earthworm castings, fossilized bat guano, Norwegian kelp meal, oyster shell and dolomite lime (for pH adjustment), as well as beneficial bacteria and mycorrhizae.

FoxFarms_Coco-Loco_2.jpg

As for the soil probe, I've read a lot of your posts this past week or so and you convinced me long ago of its worth. However, I apparently am not having much "luck" with it. The delivery was delayed and it just finally arrived about an hour ago, and even though all of the packaging looked good, this is what fell into my hands when I opened it!
IMG_20160602_162550484.jpg

Can you believe it??! So the wires are still attached, and I'm assuming that the metal rod needs to make contact with the metal plate inside the broken plastic top to get a reading. I think I actually got it to work. I took 5 readings and they all fell in the range of 6.4 to 6.8. I don't know how accurate that is considering, but I figured it was at least worth a shot.

Last edited:
Just found a thread from a couple years ago with somebody growing in FF's coco loco potting mix and they were told by FF to keep their ph between 6.3 and 6.8 since it's not just coco. Just thought I'd update in case someone is ever looking and stumbles across this thread. Thanks for all your help!

...ah, I see, it's a true soil then, so ignore the coco related stuff above,.... :doh: I see the fekkin' UPS gorilla delivery people dropped you a busted unit-- be sure to bitch about it and get it replaced! It's actually the tip that's the business end; there are two different metals at the tip there, and I believe the unit works by measuring conductivity differences between them, extrapolating this into pH,... looks like your pH is just fine too! :thumbsup: So, for nutes, let her be for a few days, and see how she reacts,... then go very easy, like 1/4 strength, and wait a few days more,.. skip the organic stuff for now, too much input just yet!

Back