Automatic Jack Herer. 10 days old.

Hi everybody! Today is day 10 for my automatic jack herer. This is my first grow and I'm hoping for some input on what has been an ongoing issue or issues from what I believe is the very beginning. I have searched the internet as well as the forums here quite extensively over the past week or so in regards to some of the things I've been seeing with her health. Because she is so young, it is hard to really pinpoint any one thing as most symptoms are usually described in later stages of vegetation or stages of flowering. The closest descriptions/ images I've come across resemble phosphorous deficiency, but again with her age I'm guessing it has more to do with ph levels of her medium. Even so I'm not quite sure that is the case either because she has very obviously been growing and still doesn't really match what I've seen. She was germinated in and has never been anywhere other than a 20 gallon smart pot. Pot contains 2.5 cubic feet of FF bush doctor coco loco. 50 ounces of additional coco coir and 8 ounces of additional organic perlite. Her smart pot sits on an open face 20 inch boomerang caddy to allow for drainage and airflow under her pot. Her tent is 32”x32”x63” and has 2 vents on each side that remain open. She has a 4” personal fan attached to a corner post. It only rotates manually so it is positioned to blow air slightly off to her side/ top. ViparSpectra Reflector-Series 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum. Running 24/0. Currently 30 inches above canopy. I raised light roughly 6 inches about 18 hours ago. The light keeps the temp at a pretty steady 77 degrees. I've seen lows of 72 degrees though. Humidity fluctuates between upper 60s and 70s. I’ve been using bottled RO water. I have 2 ph pens and never can get consistantly accurate readings (user is inexperienced) but I believe water is 6.8. I’ve seen quite a few opinions on what the pH of my water should be in this medium and still have yet to get a straight answer. I will never use it again. I've also heard recently FF has been acidic. I have ordered an accurate 8 ph probe which I paid extra shipping to have by today as I've been waiting to ask for help until I could give you an accurate reading. I know it's necessary but UPS has stood me up. I won't vent my extreme frustration in regards to that here though. I've decided to go ahead and post regardless and will update the ph when UPS decides to show up. She initially had helmet head and then continued to have her seed case stuck on her stem, so I was misting the first few days. Even after she got her leaves out and open, one leaf was stuck to what appeared to be a reddish gooey substance inside the seed case. I'm afraid of over watering, so I believe her pot has been more dry than not. I have had a moisture meter but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work. It could be the operator, but it's just a cheapo probe that no matter what I put it in barely moves from dry. So other than the initial daily misting, I gave her a liter of water on day 3. Her pot was very dry and I've heard this strain happens be very thirsty. I only watered right around the middle and came nowhere close to saturating her pot or achieving any run off. Her seed case fell off several hours later and she was finally able to stand up straight. On day 6 (Saturday) I gave her 2 cups of water with 0.14 ml of AN pH perfect micro, grow, and bloom. About 2 hours later I gave her an additional 2 cups of plain RO water. Again only in the center of her pot. She hasn't had any other water or nutrients until last night. I gave her 2 cups of RO water with 1 ml of organic root drench. When her seed case finally fell off and her first set of leaves were coming in, I thought she looked strange. That first set of leaves has always appeared to be missing its tips and started to darken around the edges early on. I also noted I had a dark spot on the cotyledon that had been stuck to the case. I hoped that after giving her some water and a very small amount of the nutrients on Saturday that she would straighten herself out. Although at that point I still wasn’t even sure that anything was wrong. Her next set of leaves started to come in more and I could see right away that they were red! And then yesterday her first set of leaves started getting the splotches. I had checked on her just a few hours before and there were none so it was somewhat shocking. It was several hours after the splotches that I gave her water. I have tons of pictures and am including some here so that you can see the progression of what has happened. I appreciate any and all advice. I have discovered that this is something that I truly enjoy and would like to continue. Just the act of growing seems to be good for my health. Thanks for any advice or input in advance!View attachment 577969
View attachment 577972
View attachment 577973
View attachment 577975
View attachment 577978
View attachment 577979
Her seed case fell off here.
View attachment 577981
View attachment 577982
View attachment 577983
View attachment 577984
View attachment 577985
View attachment 577986
View attachment 577987
View attachment 577988
View attachment 577990

Dumb question... still just sort of thinking out loud until someone else chimes in.... did you wash your coco real good ?

Also, RO can be a bit acidic at times, did you pH your nutes mix ?

I did wash the coco even though according to their site "Triumph Plant coir is conditioned for a neutral pH and low salt content. Lab testing yielded a pH of 6.3, salt (as sodium chloride) of 1,875 ppm, and electrical conductivity of 0.23 mS/cm." And I didn't ph on Saturday since it was the ph perfect :doh:. I saw a very similar pic at one point when I was searching that had the red in the middle of a seedling but it was a red devil and the color was attributed that..

I did wash the coco even though according to their site "Triumph Plant coir is conditioned for a neutral pH and low salt content. Lab testing yielded a pH of 6.3, salt (as sodium chloride) of 1,875 ppm, and electrical conductivity of 0.23 mS/cm." And I didn't ph on Saturday since it was the ph perfect :doh:. I saw a very similar pic at one point when I was searching that had the red in the middle of a seedling but it was a red devil and the color was attributed that..

Yeah, I'm stuck on that color thing.... I know I've seen it once in my life but I can't remember what or when and like you I can't find anything for such a young plant other than one mention of dark / reddish if under watered but no pic.

I don't grow in coco and am not sure who could help, maybe @namvet25 ?

Ok, that color thing has been bugging me as you could probably tell.... and I'm not saying this is your problem, I'm just giving you a free bump to the top until a mod or site pro can help you....

That plus I want to see how good a very old stoners memory is... :biggrin:

I finally remembered when I saw something similar.... about 40 years ago when I was just starting out playing around with making my own soil mixes I added a bunch of sand and had some seedlings get dark in the middle then die eventually before I figured out the problem

Mine was from being too acidic.

Ok, that color thing has been bugging me as you could probably tell.... and I'm not saying this is your problem, I'm just giving you a free bump to the top until a mod or site pro can help you....

That plus I want to see how good a very old stoners memory is... :biggrin:

I finally remembered when I saw something similar.... about 40 years ago when I was just starting out playing around with making my own soil mixes I added a bunch of sand and had some seedlings get dark in the middle then die eventually before I figured out the problem

Mine was from being too acidic.
I hope she doesn't die!! She seems to be growing noticeably still. I see a huge difference just between now and this morning. I've actually wondered about the acidity myself while impatiently waiting for my ph probe. I remember reading an article somewhere at some point this past week cautioning growers not to attempt it intentionally, but basically saying that they had discovered that a briefly acidic environment can cause Anthocyanins to show their color. Not sure if I'm phrasing that right, but it also stated that they appear red, purple or blue according to their pH (in acidic pH levels they appear more red, in neutral conditions purple, and in alkaline more blue). So that definitely would fit what you are describing!

Just a quick update this morning if it helps. She seems pretty determined to keep on going. Her first set of leaves looks awful, but she's showing noticeable growth still overall.
IMG_20160602_103104.jpg
IMG_20160602_103217.jpg

IMG_20160602_103355.jpg

IMG_20160602_103505.jpg

IMG_20160602_103705.jpg

IMG_20160602_103927.jpg

Just a quick update this morning if it helps. She seems pretty determined to keep on going. Her first set of leaves looks awful, but she's showing noticeable growth still overall. View attachment 578209View attachment 578210
View attachment 578211
View attachment 578212
View attachment 578213
View attachment 578214

She does seem to be growing through whatever happened and those are just garbage leaves anyway.....

When do you get your accurate 8 soil pH probe, today ?

Ha... UPS decides to notify me this morning that it was late. Big duh. But according to their website it is currently on a truck for delivery and they usually deliver here within the next hour to 2 hours. I'll try not try scare the Driver with my enthusiasm! :biggrin:

Back