New Grower Anyone use two carbon filters?

Cerebral Goo

Village Idiot
Reaction score
My house is starting to smell like a tire fire! My wife is not a fan of the aroma. Anyone ever double up on the carbon filters? I currently have a 6" AC Infinity fan and filter inside the tent with plenty of negative pressure. Thinking about putting another one at the end of the duct outside of the tent. The duct leads outside of the room I have the tent in and the air(smell) gets drawn upstairs by the central HVAC. Venting to the outdoors is not an option...

Thanks!!!

My house is starting to smell like a tire fire! My wife is not a fan of the aroma. Anyone ever double up on the carbon filters? I currently have a 6" AC Infinity fan and filter inside the tent with plenty of negative pressure. Thinking about putting another one at the end of the duct outside of the tent. The duct leads outside of the room I have the tent in and the air(smell) gets drawn upstairs by the central HVAC. Venting to the outdoors is not an option...

Thanks!!!
Maybe it is time for a new carbon filter. That said you can do that but you may need another fan motor to keep the volume up?

Maybe it is time for a new carbon filter. That said you can do that but you may need another fan motor to keep the volume up?

Hey Man O Green! Hope you are having a good day! The carbon filter is new and only at two months. I found a diagram of someone with two filters after I posted. The comments from that article make it seem like it works. Now my concern is what you bring up. Is the motor strong enough and/or will it put too much of a strain on it. I was a building contractor for years until I recently moved, so I called my HVAC guy and waiting to hear back from him. As a quick fix, we have a air purifier near the exhaust and that is helping considerably

Another reason could be your extractor fan is running too high, pulling air through the filter too quickly to allow the carbon to capture the smell.
If you have a speed controller/switch with the fan, try changing to a lower speed.

Another reason could be your extractor fan is running too high, pulling air through the filter too quickly to allow the carbon to capture the smell.
If you have a speed controller/switch with the fan, try changing to a lower speed.

Thanks for the input Dave! Great idea and you are probably correct. Unfortunately need the speed to control the temperature. The Infinity fan is on 6. Tried slower speeds but the temps were going to 85-86F. I'll take your advice and mess around with the settings to see if that works. I'm in the southeast and its blazing here and my HVAC is undersized for the house. Fall is around the corner and will change the dynamics.

Thanks again!!!

I've grown under some high temps with no problems as long as your RH balances out the temp (VPD) in a way. I was at temps of up to 88 and constantly around 86 to 87 no foxtailing no issues mayne just water more consistently. I would reduced the speed of your fan and see how the plants react to the temps n stuff.

Don't worry about the fan motors - you can add a second carbon filter on the outlet without it being an issue for the fan itself. But, a 2nd filter will probably reduce air flow by ~20% due to the extra flow resistance - which sounds like an issue for your setup.

You can also try taping a charcoal AC/furnace filter on any circulating fans inside the tent. Or, add an additional carbon filter / duct fan inside the tent that doesn't exhaust outside - i.e., just exhausts inside the tent to circulate air through the filter. Those would help adsorb some of the odor molecules before it goes through your main carbon filter without reducing your overall temp/humidity air flow.

Otherwise, you're probably stuck with having to add another fan and ducting for the 2nd carbon filter, or a separate whole-room filter outside the tent.

I have my new filter in my tent and my old filter at my fan, works great imo! I couldn't see throwing my old one out.

I've grown under some high temps with no problems as long as your RH balances out the temp (VPD) in a way. I was at temps of up to 88 and constantly around 86 to 87 no foxtailing no issues mayne just water more consistently. I would reduced the speed of your fan and see how the plants react to the temps n stuff.

Thanks Nizmo!

You can always run a filter outside the tent to scrub the air in the room. You just put the fan on top of the filter on the ground.

Back