All curing buds smell like mint?

JAB

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I have 5 different strains in grove bags and when I first dried them they each had distinctive smells. Gassy, lemon, earthy etc. After a few weeks in the grove bags they all smell the exact same. Like a minty earth smell. It's frustrating to say the least. Does anyone else have this problem? Or why this would be happening? I dry until they are 58-60% and my temps stay around 70°F. Stored in darkness.

I have 5 different strains in grove bags and when I first dried them they each had distinctive smells. Gassy, lemon, earthy etc. After a few weeks in the grove bags they all smell the exact same. Like a minty earth smell. It's frustrating to say the least. Does anyone else have this problem? Or why this would be happening? I dry until they are 58-60% and my temps stay around 70°F. Stored in darkness.

not saying it has anyhthing to do, but are you also using a wood moistire meter? I stopped using RH alone as a reference for the drying goal when aiming for long term strorage, and adding the wood moosture meter to my tools has greatly reduced any unexpected aromas in my harvests

not saying it has anyhthing to do, but are you also using a wood moistire meter? I stopped using RH alone as a reference for the drying goal when aiming for long term strorage, and adding the wood moosture meter to my tools has greatly reduced any unexpected aromas in my harvests
I don't have one I normally go by the feel and break of the nugs and a hygrometer. But I will grab one of Amazon just in case! Appreciate it.

Update to this question.

I removed 1 ounce of purple kush from the grove bag and put it in a mason jar and within 2 hours it's smell came right back no more minty scent. Weird.

Another update. Very weird but it's definitely the grove bags creating that smell. Mason jarred an ounce of each strain and all went back to natural scents after an hour or so. Nothing wrong with the smell in the grove bags it's kind of pleasant honestly. Very light minty scent. Just odd and IDK why.

The "few weeks" curing so far may not be enough time. Maybe it's simply that the Grove bags of buds are still curing, much of which involves off-gassing volatile plant cell breakdown products, such as from chlorophyll, with that the minty earthy smell they all have. Compare the scents when curing is completed.

The bags need to 'breath." Are your Grove bags exposed to the air, allowed to exchange gasses and water vapor, or are the bags sealed in a container, pressed together, etc. such that minimal bag surface area is in contact with open air?

Do you periodically, such as at least every few days if not daily, vent/air-out the Grove bags; or do you keep them sealed, totally undisturbed all this time during curing?

You seal up the Grove bags at 58-60% rH, but what's the rH in the bags now (not mentioned)? Humidity can ramp up as more water molecules slowly detach and diffuse out from dead plant cells, stems, cellulose fibers, etc.

Last edited:
The "few weeks" curing so far may not be enough time. Maybe it's simply that the Grove bags of buds are still curing, much of which involves off-gassing volatile plant cell breakdown products, such as from chlorophyll, with that the minty earthy smell they all have. Compare the scents when curing is completed.

The bags need to 'breath." Are your Grove bags exposed to the air, allowed to exchange gasses and water vapor, or are the bags sealed in a container, pressed together, etc. such that minimal bag surface area is in contact with open air?

Do you periodically, such as at least every few days if not daily, vent/air-out the Grove bags; or do you keep them sealed, totally undisturbed all this time during curing?

You seal up the Grove bags at 58-60% rH, but what's the rH in the bags now (not mentioned)? Humidity can ramp up as more water molecules slowly detach and diffuse out from dead plant cells, stems, cellulose fibers, etc.
Appreciate the detailed response! They all have hygrometers in the bags with them and all are between 58-60%. From what grove bag site says your not supposed to burp the bags but I do anyways every morning in order to mix the buds around so they don't stick together and can all breathe. I don't heat seal the bags just ziplock them.

Is there any general consensus among growers on whether Grove bags should be burped or not? What is the difference, if any, when don't burp/air out as recommended vs. regularly burping?
I can’t speak for burping, I put my buds in them when my test jar shows 65% rh and I only open them when I need bud. I have some year old bud with a hygrometer in the bag and it’s 60% still. So I can only speak to the efficiency of them when not burped. I keep them in a wine fridge set to 60 degrees so I can only speak to those conditions as well.

I have a moisture meter that I’ve used but now I just go by my test rh number. It doesn’t really matter to me what the moisture meter says or how accurate my hygrometer is, what matters is that when THIS hygrometer tests at 65% I have the same exact results every time. Hope that makes sense.

Back