DIY A room within the loft. Building my own 'tent'

Reaction score
I am usually a room grower, and most recently have been using a 12 pot IWS to waste, which 3 x 750 gavitas. I now plan to work my way to a SOG. I'll be increasing my numbers as I become self sufficient with clones.

I have moved to my loft now, as we've had some work done to turn it into a mini room. So I now have a more spacious, but vertically challenged room, and I cannot find a tent suitable for my space. So that has led me to attempt to build my own to maximise the available space...

What I have in mind, is building a solid timer frame for the skeleton.

The dimensions I have in mine are:

2.4m width

1.8m or 2m length

1.5m vertical either side, and then I need to then angle the frame towards the apex, which will be about 2.3/4m.

I will build a floor, similar in fashion to a wooden pallet.

I'm going to lose a lot of height I know, but I am using a Lumatek 600 Pro LED x 2, as I know my Gavitas just wont work in this space.

For the walls, I am lost!

The options I've seen are:

Plasterboard: Acoustic or Insulated

Foam Insulation boards: 50mm - 70mm - lightweight, and easy to cut through.

Any advice?

Can a mod please move this to the Grow Room section?

I am usually a room grower, and most recently have been using a 12 pot IWS to waste, which 3 x 750 gavitas. I now plan to work my way to a SOG. I'll be increasing my numbers as I become self sufficient with clones.

I have moved to my loft now, as we've had some work done to turn it into a mini room. So I now have a more spacious, but vertically challenged room, and I cannot find a tent suitable for my space. So that has led me to attempt to build my own to maximise the available space...

What I have in mind, is building a solid timer frame for the skeleton.

The dimensions I have in mine are:

2.4m width

1.8m or 2m length

1.5m vertical either side, and then I need to then angle the frame towards the apex, which will be about 2.3/4m.

I will build a floor, similar in fashion to a wooden pallet.

I'm going to lose a lot of height I know, but I am using a Lumatek 600 Pro LED x 2, as I know my Gavitas just wont work in this space.

For the walls, I am lost!

The options I've seen are:

Plasterboard: Acoustic or Insulated

Foam Insulation boards: 50mm - 70mm - lightweight, and easy to cut through.

Any advice?

Since you're going to be vertically challenged you might look into mid power strip lighting. You'll be able to run those and 6 inches or so from the canopy and they would pair well with a SOG.

I'm trying to get away from grow tents, so I have been planning 3x square meter cabinets with two bloom rooms and one mother room. You can read through the below Entry on how I'm planning mine if you want. Also, I am trying to get to the point that I can do perpetual SOG grows as well.

xa_ubs_view_blog_entry_item_x

Since you mentioned clones, I am using a small tent, 4
2*2*3.5 feet. I put it on its side and put these $15 3 ft long shop lights from home depot. Works great for the clones and vegging my plants while it goes straight up against the roof ( well the former side) of the tent.

Making a little custom room for the rest should be fun. I think many of the new lights are super low profile so you have lots of choices

not what you asked for sorry but i think this tent would fit - it's what i have in my loft!

i train tall plants down like this
AF377DF7-9E8B-49D2-A31C-F8EC3EFE592D.jpeg
26FD1374-CFD5-4C81-BEF0-C771B6AAA1BF.jpeg
(or top them) with decent results. i also enjoy the inventiveness of what you're doing too tho, been there done that and wish you luck whatever you go with!

Back