Grow Mediums A Must Read for All DWC Growers! Increase your Yields and Get more AIR!!!

@Grim Reefer View attachment 562241 this is the kind I am talking about, the bubbles they make are sooo tiny it is like bathing those smaller feeder roots in a nice gentle bath of a million tiny bubbles, so you don't have to worry about breaking any roots this time you might want to check them out. They are pricy but worth it if you are worried about the water being too turbulent
I use one of these as well. SOB damn thing is always floating though lol. I pull the hose up so it sits on the side of the bucket. Otherwise like I said it floats or flips over.

use a powerhead for aquariums they circulate the water super and they blow out copious amounts of tiny air bubbles. no need for water pump and air pump with stone
I have a 400 gallon reef and I Can say that the roots would eventually get into the power head. Plus who wants to stick a Tunze in a bucket lol. Maybe a Hydor pos

use a powerhead for aquariums they circulate the water super and they blow out copious amounts of tiny air bubbles. no need for water pump and air pump with stone

That would be good for like a big rez to keep the water moving around inside and getting some aeration in their, as far as putting that in your bucket I would advise against it because it creates too much turbulence and to me it doesn't look like they produce very much air, maube 5lpm or something of that nature. But I am thinking about using one of those for my rez for sure cause I am going to have a 55 gallon rez. NO more stirring nutrients yaay. Thanks for the idea

I use one of these as well. SOB damn thing is always floating though lol. I pull the hose up so it sits on the side of the bucket. Otherwise like I said it floats or flips over.

I have heard of them doing that and so hot gluing them to the bottom or adhearing them somehow that is water proof like a silicon of some kind should keep it from floating

yeah they do have a tendency to float around, and for 5 gal buckets prob not a good idea, more better to use them in a 20 gal or bigger res, as for keeping it stationary, mine has suction cups and to keep it in from sliding down I just close the lid on the power cord, and it stays put .but anywho its not for everyone we all have our preferences , this one is mine because it replaces two electric devices, why have 2 devices running when you can have one, helps with the electric bill hahaha

That would be good for like a big rez to keep the water moving around inside and getting some aeration in their, as far as putting that in your bucket I would advise against it because it creates too much turbulence and to me it doesn't look like they produce very much air, maube 5lpm or something of that nature. But I am thinking about using one of those for my rez for sure cause I am going to have a 55 gallon rez. NO more stirring nutrients yaay. Thanks for the idea
I have it in a 20 gal res

I have heard of them doing that and so hot gluing them to the bottom or adhearing them somehow that is water proof like a silicon of some kind should keep it from floating
if yer going that route then DO NOT USE GLUE !! use aquarium silicon

Yeah aquarium silicone would be best, but hot glue won't hurt anything either, do not use any kind of regular glue. Also @clemmy61 do you have a separate rez, like a header bucket or something or are your plants IN the 20 gallon rez? I would not put that thing anywhere near where my roots are going to be, As stated above the roots would grow into it and clog it, but most importantly I think it would stir the water up entirely too much, which creates a few different problems but the main one being your roots breaking off

in DWC 20 gal cooler res with chiller, PowerHead has cheese cloth over it, so roots don't get in but that hasn't become a problem thus far its just a precautionary thing , and the water circulation is a nice smooth slow swirl/whirlpool effect, it makes the roots and bubbles flow in the opposite direction of the PH output but somewhat near the center, cuz I have the PH in upper corner about 4 inches below surface ,I'am not having any probs thus far and this is my 3 grow year with this set up. bottom line is that it works TITS with me.been thinking about making a different set up for my big tent with much larger cooler as a separate res of sorts , and a sort of DWC hanging tray sorta thing as the lid for the res, and a pully system for the DWC tray/res lid.

Last edited:
in DWC 20 gal cooler res with chiller, PowerHead has cheese cloth over it, so roots don't get in but that hasn't become a problem thus far its just a precautionary thing , and the water circulation is a nice smooth slow swirl/whirlpool effect, it makes the roots and bubbles flow in the opposite direction of the PH output but somewhat near the center, cuz I have the PH in upper corner about 4 inches below surface ,I'am not having any probs thus far and this is my 3 grow year with this set up. bottom line is that it works TITS with me.been thinking about making a different set up for my big tent with much larger cooler as a separate res of sorts , and a sort of DWC hanging tray sorta thing as the lid for the res, and a pully system for the DWC tray/res lid.

Ah I got it, you left the part out about the cheese cloth, that would totally do the trick as far as slowing down the flow of the water and not letting the roots get into the power head. Great thinking

Back