A few questions about AFs, and ethos AFs in particular...

:: update::

Ah well, disaster hath struck the operation. Over the last few days, botrytis reared its ugly head and has laid waste to yield potential. It started in the Samsquantch OGs, and quickly developed with an alacrity I've never before witnessed in a plant. Those suckers started rotting like they were designed to do it. For whatever reason, the Mephisto cultivars have proven very susceptible to it, as it quickly spread amongst the mango and sour stompers (and bear in mind they are in both tunnels, mixed in with the Ethos), which will be pretty much total losses. The Ethos remain near untouched however, which is surprising, as I've had ethos in the field before in the form of much bigger photo plants, and remember losing a fair amount (relative) to bud rot, but that is common up here come September, with wide swings in temp (95 during the day, 48 nighttime kinda swings, then morning dew to help push it along). To have this happen in July is shocking to me... They are covered, there's been near zero precipitation, and the temps have been stable and consistently hot, albeit often humid. One of the big reasons of doing autos this year was to sidestep those September conditions, but they happened anyway. At least in the case of a big photo, the plant (which often will have 60+ main colas for me outdoors), most of the plant will be perfectly fine and I'd typically loose at most 10% to rot... But with these autos, from what I've seen, once it's there, that plant is done for.

I suppose it's just as well. The year before last, I had told myself I would not longer bother with outdoors, to eliminate the stress of fall weather in the mountains here which can do everything from flatten entire rows out from winds and microbursts to simply rotting your plants just as they are starting to finish. Not to mention, for the last 9 years, I've lost my fall to trimming (I do it all myself, and that's usually averaged about 35 lb harvest, after losses). Last year, i took a hiatus add it was glorious, lol. But now, I'm reaffirmed and re-avowed to never again grow outdoors. The market price isn't worth it to me for outs anyway these days. The other takeaway here is that autos don't seem to be for me still. They are not controllable enough to my tastes, yield to little comparatively to what I've managed to achieve with photos, possibly lack the robustness of photos(?), and do not seem to present anything in terms of quality that I can't source the same or better from photos. Now, this is of course partly based from this experience, admittedly microscopic in sample size as it is (as well as past forays, even smaller), coupled with the results from others I know who grow autos which I've never been particularly impressed with (again, also small sample size..they are simply not popular in these parts). I'm sure there are those out there who rock the auto world and have developed the specific skill sets in order to do so, but I'm not seeing the point for me to change over at this point in my career. Something tells me I'll be out of the game entirely anyway within a year or two anyway unless the market changes in some drastic manner.

I'm not sure if those ethos, which still represent 65% of the field, will pull through to end of cycle, but I will endeavor to record those which do for posterity and inquiring minds.

Ah well, disaster hath struck the operation. Over the last few days, botrytis reared its ugly head and has laid waste to yield potential. It started in the Samsquantch OGs, and quickly developed with an alacrity I've never before witnessed in a plant. Those suckers started rotting like they were designed to do it. For whatever reason, the Mephisto cultivars have proven very susceptible to it, as it quickly spread amongst the mango and sour stompers (and bear in mind they are in both tunnels, mixed in with the Ethos), which will be pretty much total losses. The Ethos remain near untouched however, which is surprising, as I've had ethos in the field before in the form of much bigger photo plants, and remember losing a fair amount (relative) to bud rot, but that is common up here come September, with wide swings in temp (95 during the day, 48 nighttime kinda swings, then morning dew to help push it along). To have this happen in July is shocking to me... They are covered, there's been near zero precipitation, and the temps have been stable and consistently hot, albeit often humid. One of the big reasons of doing autos this year was to sidestep those September conditions, but they happened anyway. At least in the case of a big photo, the plant (which often will have 60+ main colas for me outdoors), most of the plant will be perfectly fine and I'd typically loose at most 10% to rot... But with these autos, from what I've seen, once it's there, that plant is done for.

I suppose it's just as well. The year before last, I had told myself I would not longer bother with outdoors, to eliminate the stress of fall weather in the mountains here which can do everything from flatten entire rows out from winds and microbursts to simply rotting your plants just as they are starting to finish. Not to mention, for the last 9 years, I've lost my fall to trimming (I do it all myself, and that's usually averaged about 35 lb harvest, after losses). Last year, i took a hiatus add it was glorious, lol. But now, I'm reaffirmed and re-avowed to never again grow outdoors. The market price isn't worth it to me for outs anyway these days. The other takeaway here is that autos don't seem to be for me still. They are not controllable enough to my tastes, yield to little comparatively to what I've managed to achieve with photos, possibly lack the robustness of photos(?), and do not seem to present anything in terms of quality that I can't source the same or better from photos. Now, this is of course partly based from this experience, admittedly microscopic in sample size as it is (as well as past forays, even smaller), coupled with the results from others I know who grow autos which I've never been particularly impressed with (again, also small sample size..they are simply not popular in these parts). I'm sure there are those out there who rock the auto world and have developed the specific skill sets in order to do so, but I'm not seeing the point for me to change over at this point in my career. Something tells me I'll be out of the game entirely anyway within a year or two anyway unless the market changes in some drastic manner.

I'm not sure if those ethos, which still represent 65% of the field, will pull through to end of cycle, but I will endeavor to record those which do for posterity and inquiring minds.
That's so disappointing, I feel your pain.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, where I started growing autos outdoors to avoid wet/cool/rainy fall weather destroying my photos as they were finishing. Last year I lost half of my auto crop (on a micro scale compared with your grow) to mold, and the first signs showed up around August 1st, way earlier than I had ever seen it before. I noticed a few things... Sounds obvious, but the denser the buds the more the likelihood of mold, so I started looking for more open sativa leaning strains, and/or faster finishing strains, which seem to put on less mass, which of course means less final weight...

I've been experimenting with pot size, and I noticed that my smaller pots (5 gallon) that tended to dry out more between waterings, did not get mold last year. My thought is that I overwatered the bigger pots, and the plants were sort of saturated and attempting to transpire that excess moisture - even inside the buds - leading to mold. This year I'm all in 5 gallon pots that I consciously let get light between waterings, so I'm testing that hypothesis.

If this season does not go well, it will be my last outdoor grow. I just can't think of any more experiments I can do to improve my outcomes. Of all the crazy things, when reviewing last summer's outdoor plants in 5 gallon pots vs. last winter's indoor plants in 5 gallon pots, I got heavier yields from the indoor plants! That has never happened to me before, and may have to do with the conditions in my yard changing over time, but that's another story. In the end, things are what they are and we go with what works for us. I'm just growing for my family, we only need about 24oz per year, which I can pull from indoor runs pretty reliably.

Seems like you need a preemtive plan of action to inhibit Botrytis at the time it seems to begin to present itself in your grows.. Say.. A scheduled application of a multi targeted preventative such as General Hydroponics Exile, or something of a similar nature. The thing to remember about Botrytis, is that it is carried by adult Fungus Gnats. And that is how it can easily infect an entire crop so quickly.

There's some folks on here with great success and swear by @Phyter rotblock for outdoor budrot. Haven't tried it myself just because it's crazy expensive to ship the small amount I need for a year but might want to look into it

Seems like you need a preemtive plan of action to inhibit Botrytis at the time it seems to begin to present itself in your grows.. Say.. A scheduled application of a multi targeted preventative such as General Hydroponics Exile, or something of a similar nature. The thing to remember about Botrytis, is that it is carried by adult Fungus Gnats. And that is how it can easily infect an entire crop so quickly.
There were no fungus gnats present. I was relying on a combination of calcium and silica along with an early season devoid of the temp swings typically conducive to botrytis incubation to mitigate this time. I've tried a myriad of bud rot inhibitors over the years, and I mean a LOT of them, bacterial to immune strengthening, preventative and remedial, from DIY solutions to $400/gal products such as Regalia (with venerate and grandevo), cease, botrystop, ad infinitum... Multiple lengthy phone calls with said product reps, add I've come to the singular conclusion over the course of a good 8 years or so of dealing with it that if environmental conditions are correct and then spores are present, your going to get it, and that's that. Now, with photos, those plants are generally so big that I can mitigate losses to minimal with a lot of interventive effort, but with these autos I've seen this go systemic alarmingly fast. If you want to eliminate bud rot, you've really got to eliminate the source of the spores themselves, and up here, that means eliminating all brambles in the area, and that's a BIG ask, lol. My source in particular are blackberry brambles, and those suckers are everywhere... They will produce botryris spores from root to leaf tip, and even if you get all of them on your own property, they can still drift in from elsewhere. I live on 51 acres down a mile and a half private road, and they are everywhere in the surrounding forest. I've never heard of getting bud rot in midsummer, nonetheless, but now I can add one more thing to my list of problems I didn't think was really very possible... Much like the lygus bugs I've had to learn to deal with over the years that seemingly no one else has ever had a problem with (they are a typical scourge to canola crops).
FYI, for what it's worth, when i was doing no till indoors in tents for years before i built out a bigger room, fungus gnats were my Achilles heel. I've tried damn near everything from Ho2o drenches, dia earth, stickies to bacterial and nematodes, analysing and understanding their life cycles and how to break them... And you know what worked the best in the end for me, which put and immediate end to them everytime? A 6hp shop vac. I would first hold it near the plants to suck in all the adult flyers, and then suck up there first inch or so of soil from the pots, and then suck up any additional flyers which were disturbed from the soil. I had to laugh at myself for not thinking of such a simple and cheap solution long before I did, but boy does it ever work well. In a tent anyway. Don't think I'd enjoy doing that in a full out room though.

when i was doing no till indoors in tents for years before i built out a bigger room, fungus gnats were my Achilles heel. I've tried damn near everything from Ho2o drenches, dia earth, stickies to bacterial and nematodes, analysing and understanding their life cycles and how to break them...
Thinking about the brambles.. Where there is fruit, there are Gnats...

For me, I use prolonged exposure to Nematodes in the soil, and in my spray if needed. (Environmental Factor Nematodes) . If the larvae never make it to adulthood, then they'll never reproduce. If by chance it doesn't control them, I will treat the soil and spray the plants with Gnatrol. And as an end all be all last ditch effort, I use Exile. It's a last ditch because it kills fungus, and I believe that it even kills Mycorrhizal Fungi as well.

I have also used Bonide for Botrytis when Gnats aren't a big issue and it works well. I've used it more so on my outdoor plants than any. Sorry you had trouble with your crop friend. Hopefully your future endeavors will be more successful.
:d5:

For those wondering about 12/12 for autos.....not a problem...actually a real plus...photos can eat at the same trough!
I started running autos on 12/12 from the start over 15 yrs ago (perpetual) and am still happy with results. Oh yes, I've run other schedules but I am just not willing to accept the increase in overall cost for just a few grams more yeild. Hell, just plant another one for the difference.

Back