1st Try: Dbl Grape, Straw Nugs, Samsquanch & Mango Smile Day 1 - 65

Reaction score
Greetings, all.

In July of 2024, I took a stab at growing inside after the two prior summers were wasted trying to make it happen outdoors here in southern New England, USA. Bud rot and limited sunlight exposure had damned my previous attempts with both outdoor photoperiods and autos (all ILGM), so I endeavored to minimize variables by coming indoors and by using the best genetics I could get my hands on. In my case, that meant setting up a tent in the boiler room of my basement. The plan was to have four smaller plants of different cultivars (in order to sample different flavors/highs), to maintain a level canopy, and to learn.

Equipment utilized include a 2x4 AC Infinity tent and exhaust, a Migro Aray 4, four self-watering pots, and a compost tea bubbler setup.

Four seeds were soaked and successfully sprouted in 3-gallon fabric pots filled with 40-40-20 Ocean Farm-Coco Loco-worm castings and some perlite. Cultivars involved were Double Grape, Mango Smile, Samsquanch OG and Strawberry Nuggets.

Temps inside the tent hovered in the low 70's to upper 80's during the hottest days of July and August, whereas September is averaging low-mid 70's. Humidity throughout the grow ranges 65-80%. Light schedule has been 20/4 at 100% intensity. Fixture is typically hung 12" above the canopy, per Migro recommendation. Exhaust fan set at 4/10. There is an oscillating fan blowing down from above the light fixture, and another fan circulating at floor level.

Here they are at day 13, everything is fine so far:

DOUBLE GRAPE DAY 13.jpg

MANGO SMILE DAY 13.jpg

SAMSQUANCH DAY 13.jpg

STRAWBERRY NUGGETS DAY 13.jpg

Plants were given only water from a dehumidifier until day 25, at which point they were switched to compost tea (water, worm castings, molasses, and a bit of chicken manure & powdered eggshells) fed top-down. All plants but the Strawberry Nuggets were topped at the 4th node on days 17 -20. All four plants received LST to the extent possible with my schedule and ability. Broke a main stem off the Mango Smile on day 23.

Here they are at day 25:

DG DAY 25.jpg

MS DAY 25.jpg

SN DAY 25.jpg

SS DAY 25.jpg

All four plants began flowering by day 30. By day 40 the leaves on a couple plants began to show signs of stress, most notably Samsquanch and Double Grape. At day 48, Cal-Mag and Fox Farm Big Bloom were incorporated into the tea.

Here they are at day 48:

DBL GRAPE SIDE.jpg

MANGO SMILE SIDE.jpg

MANGO SMILE TOP.jpg

SAM SIDE.jpg

SAM TOP.jpg

STRAW NUGZ SIDE.jpg

STRAW NUGZ TOP.jpg

Plants have remained smaller than expected throughout the grow, with smallish leaves and tight spacing between nodes. I expected them to be small, but not THIS small. I suspect a combination of HST/LST stress, over watering, light fixture hung too low, high temps in the tent, or nutrient deficiency. Basically, I probably made ALL the mistakes that could have been made. I don't have the experience or expertise to make accurate diagnoses, so I just kept doing what seemed correct at the time.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Continued New
Continued...

Here they are at day 56:
20240917_105326.jpg

DG.jpg

MS.jpg

SN.jpg

SS.jpg

I began upping the nutrients a bit, and also raised the fixture 16” above the canopy for a couple weeks, thinking light stress. Since day 60 I have continued with the nutes and returned the fixture to about a foot off the tallest bud.

Day 63:

DG SIDE.jpg

DG TOP.jpg

MS SIDE.jpg

MS TOP.jpg

SN SIDE.jpg

SN TOP.jpg

SS SIDE.jpg

SS TOP.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Continued New
Continued...

That brings us up to date. This is day 65, and the harvest window (per Mephisto) has opened for the Double Grape and Strawberry Nuggets.
Day 65.jpg

The photos speak for themselves, I think. Any and all insight into what might be happening here would be greatly appreciated. I can live with this outcome, but would like to do better next time. Thank you for for taking the time to work through this long ramble.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back