1st timer issues

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. First timer here so any advice and jokes are appreciated. I've done a bunch of research but it's never enough. I'll tell you guys about my set up. It's pretty basic
4x4 tent
Inline fan/charcoal filter
spider farmer sf4000
fan on top point down to cool off drivers
oscillating fan down low. Might be too much.

First mistake I made is going with soil.
Roots organic.
1 3 gallon smart pot
2 5 gallons d
1 random 5 or so gallon

Next nutrients.
Guy at grow store sold me fox farm grow, micro and bloom which I was told later is for coco mostly

Next mistake 2 diff strains flowering at diff times

Strains Are autoflowers
2 blue sunset set sherbert
2 whiskey zulu

Now I've made it 43 days pretty good. Tent got hot to 91 while I was gone for a few hours at least. Now usually sat around 75-80 lights on 62-67 off.
The whiskey zul started flowering at 2 weeks after sprout. Sherbert is still in veg.
I'm having issues with both Now. One sherbert is perfect the other is stunted bad. Leaves pointed down which is nitrogen toxicity a dark green. And some yellowing.
The zulus were doing pretty damn good but now I have praying leaves and yellowing at the bottom.

I found about I shouldn't be using the notes after I saw a tad of nute burn and talked to a buddy. Went with ph water about 6.2-6.4 for about week now but today I saw the yellowing so I went back with the nutes but less potent the what I was doing. I thought I had nute lock and prob did for the two sherberts. What am I doing wrong and how can I prevent it later I guess. Ppm for the sherbert is 450-550 and the zulus are 700-800 I'll add pics in a sec i have to switch phones this camera is cracked. Thank you if you've bared with me this long to the end I really appreciate it

note. This was a few days ago. Iwent with ph water then went with a little bites again and I’ll post a video of what is going on today
0856CA24-1D7D-4C75-855D-C0F9836B2D91.jpeg
DBCEAB98-93F8-4CA4-9355-F396E3B7D805.jpeg
E8F1834B-A65B-4FC0-A723-96CBF76BA6F6.jpeg
B86A9EFB-3BBE-4C23-9EE0-3BCC49121405.jpeg
A6B5684F-81E9-4E00-AE5A-64DBBC824D35.jpeg
5FE41280-2C5E-4356-8A6F-ADFDAE1B282E.jpeg
F4FC8E8B-56DC-47AD-94ED-EC9E40217A07.jpeg
2C0B0A2B-BF21-44CB-9055-1B6ECF3B6BE8.jpeg
23FCD11F-627C-401C-930F-6226A0E89DBB.jpeg
FF88174A-300E-4BB0-A31D-DAF02037E582.jpeg

From the pics they look pretty happy? Maybe @Mañ'O'Green will see something I'm not seeing?

@Cuttybruh :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome: Your plants look fine! Much better than many new growers. I live in the desert of central California 91°F tent temp is cool for a summer day here :crying: I have plants get warmer for sure. So that is not a big concern. You don't want that in late flower as you will lose terpenes but the plant can handle it.

No matter which grow medium you choose to grow in there will be a learning curve so soil is not a mistake just a choice. There is so much to learn about nutrients. I have been learning new stuff every day for over 6 years. I have a primer on the basics here:

Your plants look a little small and I suspect you are watering/fertigating wrong stunting the root system and hence the whole plant. What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and the roots and microbes will die there. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. There is an art to watering.

Carry on as you are doing well :toke:

Video
@Cuttybruh :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome: Your plants look fine! Much better than many new growers. I live in the desert of central California 91°F tent temp is cool for a summer day here :crying: I have plants get warmer for sure. So that is not a big concern. You don't want that in late flower as you will lose terpenes but the plant can handle it.

No matter which grow medium you choose to grow in there will be a learning curve so soil is not a mistake just a choice. There is so much to learn about nutrients. I have been learning new stuff every day for over 6 years. I have a primer on the basics here:

Your plants look a little small and I suspect you are watering/fertigating wrong stunting the root system and hence the whole plant. What you need to learn about watering will come with practice. Here are the basic rules: Never let the soil dry out. Soil and or coco can become hydrophobic if allowed to dry. This means it repels water. This in turn will create dry pockets in the soil and the roots and microbes will die there. If your soil - coco have accidentally dried out use a surfactant to help re-wet it. I like yucca powder. Don't let soil remain soggy by watering too much too often. Root rot, damping off, molds, fungus gnats and other problems start in soggy soil. When you do water water the entire pot. How to learn when to water starts before you plant the seed. Fill your container with fresh soil/coco and weigh it (heft it) this is the lightest weight and consider it a dry pot. Now slowly water until the soil/coco will no longer absorb the water and run-off begins; weigh the pot (heft it) this is the maximum water, the wettest the pot can get. The difference between wettest and driest is the maximum water weight, for ease of explanation lets just say the water weighs 20 pounds. When the pot loses 10 pounds (half of the water weight) it is time to water again. There is an art to watering.

Carry on as you are doing well :toke:
thanks kind sir. Now that I understand I prob very well have underwater in the begging And it’s dried out. I’m broke as heck waiting to get hired at my new job so ordering anything is out of the question. Is that the only way to bring the soil back to life? Should I not use my fox farm nutes anymore and just use reg ph water? Should I slurry and test that and see what it comes out to? Or is it even worth it. I’m just bummed and freaking out because these two are almost done and they’re gonna turn out crap. The other two, ones stunted bad, the other is doing well. No yellowing only the tips from slight nute burn.

Video

thanks kind sir. Now that I understand I prob very well have underwater in the begging And it’s dried out. I’m broke as heck waiting to get hired at my new job so ordering anything is out of the question. Is that the only way to bring the soil back to life? Should I not use my fox farm nutes anymore and just use reg ph water? Should I slurry and test that and see what it comes out to? Or is it even worth it. I’m just bummed and freaking out because these two are almost done and they’re gonna turn out crap. The other two, ones stunted bad, the other is doing well. No yellowing only the tips from slight nute burn.
You've got plenty of time, they have quite a ways to go yet. Like, several weeks more. More than enough time to course correct. Just try not to overcorrect, as they really truly don't look bad. I think the peeps at the other place you posted were rather doom and gloom and probably really freaked you out over a very minor issue.

You've got plenty of time, they have quite a ways to go yet. Like, several weeks more. More than enough time to course correct. Just try not to overcorrect, as they really truly don't look bad. I think the peeps at the other place you posted were rather doom and gloom and probably really freaked you out over a very minor issue.

(sigh) I’ve did months of research before I started. Except deficiencies now I have less than a week to do it all again to figure out how to fix it god help me thank you guys for y’all’s input. I’ve def got a lot of reading to do. It’s just frustrating living in the country with slow data. Takes forever for pages to load

(sigh) I’ve did months of research before I started. Except deficiencies now I have less than a week to do it all again to figure out how to fix it god help me thank you guys for y’all’s input. I’ve def got a lot of reading to do. It’s just frustrating living in the country with slow data. Takes forever for pages to load
I definitely wouldn't give up on these! You're doing really well for your first try! I've had plants that I wrote off as goners come back from the brink so they should get over this just fine.

First things first do not overreact. :pass:. Don't do any of those things you are thinking about.

Get the soil wet - the entire pot with just PH 6.4 water and use a surfactant. A couple of drops of soap will work - SOAP not detergent! Try to do this with as little run-off as possible. Just water really slowly over a couple of hours.

If the soil got really dry you may have killed the microbes. So a couple of days after getting the soil wet we need to feed and replenish them. A good product for that is Recharge. I know you may not have money for that right now so instead you can just add a tablespoon of molasses to your nutrients when you fertigate.

Use this schedule at 60% strength for your nutrients (they are not just for coco only but the flushing part is only for coco). Never flush soil.

Do a Fertigate, water, water, water, repeat cycle.

Fox Farms Soil.jpg

As an example you are in about week 6 so to mix up 2 gallons of nutrient solution you need 6 tsp of Big Bloom x 60% = 3.6 tsp. 4 tsp of Grow Big x 60% = 2.4 tsp, and 4 tsp of Tiger Bloom x 60% = 2.4 tsp and a tablespoon of molasses.

First things first do not overreact. :pass:. Don't do any of those things you are thinking about.

Get the soil wet - the entire pot with just PH 6.4 water and use a surfactant. A couple of drops of soap will work - SOAP not detergent! Try to do this with as little run-off as possible. Just water really slowly over a couple of hours.

If the soil got really dry you may have killed the microbes. So a couple of days after getting the soil wet we need to feed and replenish them. A good product for that is Recharge. I know you may not have money for that right now so instead you can just add a tablespoon of molasses to your nutrients when you fertigate.

Use this schedule at 60% strength for your nutrients (they are not just for coco only but the flushing part is only for coco). Never flush soil.

Do a Fertigate, water, water, water, repeat cycle.

View attachment 1423272

As an example you are in about week 6 so to mix up 2 gallons of nutrient solution you need 6 tsp of Big Bloom x 60% = 3.6 tsp. 4 tsp of Grow Big x 60% = 2.4 tsp, and 4 tsp of Tiger Bloom x 60% = 2.4 tsp and a tablespoon of molasses.

man. Your a god send. So.. I have that chart on my wall already But my dumb self has been using the nutes every feed I have the fox farm 3 part. Grow ,micro , bloom… Molasses Gives the rootssugars to flourish and eat better correct. Also I should’ve been doing a compost tea correct? I have so many questions but I can’t type as fast as my brain is firing right now. Anyways, step 1 water with soap. Hope I have some. Idk the difference between soap and detergent. 2nd water with nutes and molasses and pray. I will snag a pic in the am and we’ll see where we’re at. I watered today with nutes so I’m a little upset lol the yellowing accelerated right after

Back