Live Stoners 1st time grower

Thanks for the watering tips ManOGreen. Wife’s cuz who works at a commercial grow says that’s how they check for watering. The weight check. I was wanting to go a little bigger on the LED, but budget isn’t there for that right now. I know the Kind XL600 has a smaller footprint wrt par values. While I don’t necessarily want to crowd the plants, I was hoping it might be big enough for 4 small autos? That’s the limit my state allows right now. Would it make more sense wrt quality and yield to only have 2 or 3 tops vs 4? Should I start with 4 and keep the best couple? While this is as just as much a hobby for me and Ali enjoy the science, (I’ve successfully brewed beer for years). I would still like to maximize my total yield every few months. Hoping to get around an oz.+ if quality nugs per plant. Not sure if that is realistic? But that would keep my wife and I good and hopefully get a good return on my investment after about a year.. I plan to add more lights not too far down the road.
I would just attempt 2 plants under that light but no mater how many plants the yield will be about the same based on the light. I think that light has about 288 actual watts times 2g/watt will give you about 560g as a maximum yield if you do everything else well. I actually hit 2.68g/watt in one of my grows last summer but that was exceptional. I have over 1000w available in my 4x6 space but I don't run my lights maxed out. It is just too much heat to deal with.

I was an all grain home brewer for 25 years. I was the president of our local homebrew club for a couple of years also. I won a 2nd place in the AHA national contest for my Oatmeal Stout back then. I had to give it up when I was diagnosed with diabetes. You just cannot have 65 gallons of ale on tap with this condition :rofl: One good ale = a baked potato in carbs and my blood sugar would go ballistic.

initial results are showing pH around 7.8 (higher than I was thinking) for my tap water

IIRC, tap water will absorb CO2 if it sits out for a while vs. coming straight out of the pipes. This creates carbonic acid in the water and decreases pH, so the initial pH may not be representative....which may or may not matter for your application.

IIRC, tap water will absorb CO2 if it sits out for a while vs. coming straight out of the pipes. This creates carbonic acid in the water and decreases pH, so the initial pH may not be representative....which may or may not matter for your application.

Good to know KDawg. Gonna get some distilled water today, calibrate, fill up a 5 gallon bucket, and takes some samples over the next 3-4 days as it sits and the chlorine burns off..

Overall, what's your plan for source water for the actual watering?

Will you be using tap water / distilled / RO / etc for the bulk watering? Letting it sit for a few days or straight out of the tap?

My knowledge of water chemistry comes from fish tanks - I was considering using spent aquarium water for my plants as a possible source of nitrates. If not that, then probably just tap water that sits overnight to equilibrate pH and temperature.

Overall, what's your plan for source water for the actual watering?

Will you be using tap water / distilled / RO / etc for the bulk watering? Letting it sit for a few days or straight out of the tap?

My knowledge of water chemistry comes from fish tanks - I was considering using spent aquarium water for my plants as a possible source of nitrates. If not that, then probably just tap water that sits overnight to equilibrate pH and temperature.

I have a lot of 6 gallon food grade beer buckets (drill w/ spigots and covers) from brewing. Gonna just go with tap water vented for a few days for the ease. Pretty sure we have what would be considered very good quality tap water here in SWVA, albeit a little hard. I could fill up 2-3 of those (for a total of 10-15 gallons) and enough room to put them in my closet (covered). That should keep me pretty good for a week or two at a time. Could easily set up a drip system I think down the road if I wanted.

Just trying to figure out what nutrients I should go with at this point..

Seems like 100 ppm shouldn't be that bad.

If you scroll up, Sheriffatman mentioned mixing his tap water down to 0.3 EC, which should be about 150 ppm on a US TDS meter (see here).

You're just using a TDS meter, right? Not specifically a carbonate or general hardness test kit?

Seems like 100 ppm shouldn't be that bad.

If you scroll up, Sheriffatman mentioned mixing his tap water down to 0.3 EC, which should be about 150 ppm on a US TDS meter (see here).

You're just using a TDS meter, right? Not specifically a carbonate or general hardness test kit?
Yes, Just a standard digital TDS and pH meter.

So, basically, I think your tap water should be fine as-is. A few more details I could go into regarding it, so let me know if you have any more specific questions.

As far as nutrients and feeding...my plan as a first-time grower is to aim for "don't kill my plants and get at least a modest yield" vs. "optimize everything and get biggest possible yield on first try." I think we're more likely to burn up our plants with too much rather than kill them from too little. I'm starting with Fox Farm's Ocean Forest and may add a top dressing. That may be enough on their own. I'll buy Fox Farm's recommended feed mixes, in case I need them. I'm still deciding on exact approach, but may just error on the side of safest / simplest first time around.

Based on where I'm at now, though - my general advice for you would be:

1) To paraphrase ManoGreen's guide - probably best to just stick with the recommended feed schedule from your soil vendor (Biobizz feed schedule is here). Even if you don't use their exact schedule, looking at what each is adding and when will at least give you an idea of how their base soil performs over time.

For example, I looked at Fox Farms feed schedule and multiplied the weekly amounts by the individual NPK ratings of each product, to get a sense of how much total additional NPK they were recommending and when. If I go with top dressings instead, or other brands, I'll use that as a general guide.

2) Always best to ease into any feed schedule (e.g., start with 1/2 the recommended strength for first one or two feedings). Ultimately, the basic approach always seems to be "observe plant response and adjust accordingly".

That goes against our "I want biggest yield ever" instinct, but if everything works out for the first grow and I do a second grow the same, then I may start with full strength, etc.

3) Read through symptoms of deficiencies, lock-outs, and burns. You won't remember them by heart, but it'll at least give you some idea of what to look for in case there are any issues with your final approach. If something does happen, the simpler approaches (e.g., soil only, no amendments / dressing, no feeds) should probably be more likely to cause deficiencies, the more aggressive approaches more likely to cause burn, the "mixing vendors and products" approaches to cause lock-out and/or burn.

It could be useful to use one plant as a control, or at least lag 4-7 days behind the others, to evaluate the impact of any additional feedings / nutrients. If you have one without any additional nutes that's not dying, then you know any issues with others are more likely lock-outs / burns instead of deficiencies, etc.

4) Keep the journalz.

If you make it through a grow with a certain feed schedule, then you know it at least works. You can then try tweaking it on the second grow and have a baseline for what works, and a reference point for diagnosing any issues with the revised feed schedule.

Similarly, you can just follow another grower's feed schedule as a baseline for what works...if you can make sense of it. Here's a thread on Biobizz light, but it seems to be "my past two grows didn't work, so here's what I'm gonna try next" without any final confirmation of whether it worked or not...

Back