New Grower 1st Aeroponics build-Cheese XXL Auto grow

AeroJay

Seeker of aeropnics wisdom
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
AK47
Hi all. Glad I found such an amazing forum with such helpfull peeps.

I have been doing some research on my first grow. (getting my sh*t together)

It has come a long way and I have drawn up my build as you will see in the picture. Besides the build I have been looking at each procedure in the plants growth cycle to ensure I get it right from the get go. I tend to over engineer most things. So im trying to be cautious.

I have noticed not many venture into Aeroponics so the information is a bit limited.

My reason for germinating with rockwool is, I do not want to break my baby when it has germinated trying to do the transplant into rockwool. I have before. Butter fingers!!

This is my plan for germinating in rockwool: (Please correct me if this seems wrong)

- Soak rockwool in my ph water over night
- Drain extra water
- Place seed 1/4 down in rockwool and cover with piece of rock wool
- Use plastic container to keep humidity up and check moisture daily.

Do I need any light throughout this process as I have seen that most choose a dark area until radical has sprouted and then transfer to the growing system.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 11.20.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 11.20.57 AM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 185
Hi all. Glad I found such an amazing forum with such helpfull peeps.

I have been doing some research on my first grow. (getting my sh*t together)

It has come a long way and I have drawn up my build as you will see in the picture. Besides the build I have been looking at each procedure in the plants growth cycle to ensure I get it right from the get go. I tend to over engineer most things. So im trying to be cautious.

I have noticed not many venture into Aeroponics so the information is a bit limited.

My reason for germinating with rockwool is, I do not want to break my baby when it has germinated trying to do the transplant into rockwool. I have before. Butter fingers!!

This is my plan for germinating in rockwool: (Please correct me if this seems wrong)

- Soak rockwool in my ph water over night
- Drain extra water
- Place seed 1/4 down in rockwool and cover with piece of rock wool
- Use plastic container to keep humidity up and check moisture daily.

Do I need any light throughout this process as I have seen that most choose a dark area until radical has sprouted and then transfer to the growing system.
Hey bro, Welcome to The Forum. I've never been much of a fan of rockwool myself. It's difficult to get ph balanced and getting the excess water out can be a little bit tricky at first. A lot of guys will squeeze those cubes to get it out which is exactly wrong. You really need to kind of shake them down word you don't want to crush all the air pockets in your rockwool.

However, I really like General Hydroponics rapid rooters they're the correct pH, they work really well. If you were planning to fill those net pots with rockwool as your substrate, you could just use Rapid rooters and some clay Pebbles thoroughly washed clay Pebbles. They tend to be a little alkaline.

But, don't let my unreasonable hatred of Rockwall guide your decision. It's always best to execute your plan and then make changes as you go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My preference is light as soon as I plant germed seed.

Hey bro, Welcome to The Forum. I've never been much of a fan of rockwool myself. It's difficult to get ph balanced and getting the excess water out can be a little bit tricky at first. A lot of guys will squeeze those cubes to get it out which is exactly wrong. You really need to kind of shake them down word you don't want to crush all the air pockets in your rockwool.

However, I really like General Hydroponics rapid rooters they're the correct pH, they work really well. If you were planning to fill those net pots with rockwool as your substrate, you could just use Rapid rooters and some clay Pebbles thoroughly washed clay Pebbles. They tend to be a little alkaline.

But, don't let my unreasonable hatred of Rockwall guide your decision. It's always best to execute your plan and then make changes as you go.

Hey Jingo!!!

Thank you very much. Enjoying this forum very much. Ive been binge reading various journals.
I get the feeling that most threads concerning rock wool has your feels.
I have seen the Hydro rapid rooters in some images. Just didnt know what they were called. THANK YOU!!!
I think I will try those. Do I need to also just soak them as I would with the rockwool?

My original plan is to place them Hydroton Clay pellets in may Netpot after washing them as you mentioned.
I would rather take the advice from a seasoned expert, then try and mess things up ending up killing my seeds. My gut tells me I am going to struggle with rockwool.

Do you have any reading material you could suggest. I need to do some more research on feeding nutrients. I was thinking of using the Flora Series. Any thoughts?

My preference is light as soon as I plant germed seed.

Hey AutoWonders. Thanks for the heads up. Have been getting very mixed threads with a 50/50 on the lights on versus lights off on germinating Auto.

I think I will stick with lights off and start the lights as soon as it sprouts as you mentioned.

Would I start my full system with nutrients and sprayers after I see a few leaves sprout? Also been seeing tons of mixed threads on that.

Hey Jingo!!!

Thank you very much. Enjoying this forum very much. Ive been binge reading various journals.
I get the feeling that most threads concerning rock wool has your feels.
I have seen the Hydro rapid rooters in some images. Just didnt know what they were called. THANK YOU!!!
I think I will try those. Do I need to also just soak them as I would with the rockwool?

My original plan is to place them Hydroton Clay pellets in may Netpot after washing them as you mentioned.
I would rather take the advice from a seasoned expert, then try and mess things up ending up killing my seeds. My gut tells me I am going to struggle with rockwool.

Do you have any reading material you could suggest. I need to do some more research on feeding nutrients. I was thinking of using the Flora Series. Any thoughts?
I've used the GH rapid rooters they are Coco plugs and they will be moist and pre-charged with nutrients. You'll just need to water a little bit to get them going.

I like the General Hydroponics line I use it preferably over just about anything else I've tried foxfarm Remo.

All the stickies in the new Growers area are great reads. There is a decent schedule for General Hydroponics on growweedeasy website. You can always tag me in once you're up and running and all be happy to give you some advice on how I use g h nutrients.

:welcome:Hi and welcome!:welcome:

Whatever medium you use, plant your seed pointy side down! :greenthumb:

I've used the GH rapid rooters they are Coco plugs and they will be moist and pre-charged with nutrients. You'll just need to water a little bit to get them going.

I like the General Hydroponics line I use it preferably over just about anything else I've tried foxfarm Remo.

All the stickies in the new Growers area are great reads. There is a decent schedule for General Hydroponics on growweedeasy website. You can always tag me in once you're up and running and all be happy to give you some advice on how I use g h nutrients.

Thanks Jingo. Much appreciated!!!

I will definately call on you when my system is up and running.
Here in South Africa we have some limited nutrients available. Will maybe try and ship in from somewhere.
Going to check out growweedeasy for sure.

Started my system build today. Not much yet. Happy with what I have done so far.:headbang: Next getting sprinkler system up in tope and a drainage velve flowing to res. I have been freaking out about res temps with pump heat. Been reading up on ways to keep it low. Has anyone have experience with using ice packs? My friend has a coiling system that runs through a fridge. Unfortunately I building on a budget.

Attachments

• 6D9A2B4D-0F1F-4A9E-94D6-A2894C960155.jpeg
    6D9A2B4D-0F1F-4A9E-94D6-A2894C960155.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 161
Back