Indoor $1.50 Seed Grow! Are cheap seeds worthwhile?

$1.50 Seed Grow! Are cheap seeds worthwhile?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've long been looking at www.linda-seeds.com as they have some excellent pricing, not only on their own, inexpensive bulk seeds, but also often great prices on popular seedbank strains.

I wanted to try some of their own brand cheap seeds, which go for $1.50 to $3.00 each. I got 10 auto Blueberry for $15.00!!! WOOOooo! Now to see if they were actually worth spending money on.

I put 2 in a soak for about 20 hours and transferred them to paper towel last night. They had already sprouted a radicle so seems like vigorous seeds.

I'll get pics when I plant them in their 4" starter pots of soil. They will will eventually be transplanted into auto pots. they will be the 8th grow in the same soil. I cut out the stump of the previous plant, and plant the new seedlings in the hole.
You usually get what you pay for with seeds. I hope they are fantastic but every cheap or inexpensive seed I have grown turned out to be decent at best. If you need beans mate I have lots of freebie packs you are welcome to...

I think it 100% depends on the genetics though. Of my 7 $3.25 seeds I've dropped, I've only had 3 break ground. I've got a 100% germ rate otherwise, which leads me to believe that it is the seeds, not my methods.

Dunno. I started with $5-ish seeds from New420guy. Never had a single issue. Photos and autos. Last auto I ran of his was a GSC that yielded 15 oz. Biggest auto to date. He's an actual breeder for many years though, so maybe that makes a difference, and I would probably rank him up there with say...FB/all those types? For a decent chunk less. I always recommend new people 1 - grow something other than MJ first if they haven't just to learn about gardening in general. And 2 - it's your $$$ but maybe don't drop $15 a seed until you get your feet a little wet first?

and I tell you that on average, I've been very pleased with their seeds. I've grown some of the best seed you can get, and some of the worst. I've grown hundreds of autos and photos. So when I recommend something I know what I'm talking about. I don't grow many strains more than once, the few I do are the best of what I've tried. I've grown their GG autos three times. I've grown their Mazar auto twice and will be again soon. The Mazar was so good, I went out and boght the landrace Mazar i Shaif from The Real Seed Company.

Ive also recently grown some seed from some popular IG breeders and was NOT impress. Yes, there are cheap seeds out there that are not worth buying. There are also $30 seeds out that that are not worth buying either. At least at Linda prices I can try some strains without spending a fortune. I can then buy just those strains that appealed to me from other breeders for comparison.

BTW the Wedding Cake photoperiod I got from Linda was the best bud I've grown this year.

And thank you for the offer! However, I have more seed than I could grow in the next 30 years lol! DP, Sweet Seeds, Fast Buds, World of Seeds, Sensi, Royal Queen, Super Sativa Seed Club, and more.

You usually get what you pay for with seeds. I hope they are fantastic but every cheap or inexpensive seed I have grown turned out to be decent at best. If you need beans mate I have lots of freebie packs you are welcome to...

Damn, are you me? Sounds like we've lived the same life....I have everything from Unicorn poop to 1980s bags seeds...Sounds like you found a treasure trove...

what’s a cheap seed though? To me it’s around $5-$6 a seed. But that’s just what I’ve looked at. Guess I’ll dig through the thread and do some research. I’d give it a go.

Funny thing is, I bought 2, 3 packs from Mephisto direct awhile back. I think with shipping it cost $84? I got 15 seeds in my package! Works out to $5.60 USD a seed.

Well, that's the thing, figuring out what's a bargain to you. Maybe one of these days, I'll grow the same strain from, say, 5 breeders and see just how much better any one of them are. Of course this doesn't take in to consideration that the majority of big seed runs are not don't by the breeder, they are farmed out to grow ops that specialize in just producing seed.

what’s a cheap seed though? To me it’s around $5-$6 a seed. But that’s just what I’ve looked at. Guess I’ll dig through the thread and do some research. I’d give it a go.

Funny thing is, I bought 2, 3 packs from Mephisto direct awhile back. I think with shipping it cost $84? I got 15 seeds in my package! Works out to $5.60 USD a seed.

Well, that's the thing, figuring out what's a bargain to you. Maybe one of these days, I'll grow the same strain from, say, 5 breeders and see just how much better any one of them are. Of course this doesn't take in to consideration that the majority of big seed runs are not don't by the breeder, they are farmed out to grow ops that specialize in just producing seed.
Hey Pop,

That's something I´ve been wanting to do myself. You see so much breeders/seedhouses wich sell "same name" strains I wonder what the source is and IF they are not same source which is actually the best.
I personally wouldn't mind doing a AFN grow contest of a "same name" strain from different breeders, just to find out which is best ánd to see if there are similarities between them at all.

Food for thought :thumbsup:

Fwiw I bought the cheapest seed in the RQS catalogue for a test run, and it produced wonderful bud. They even advertise it as a simple basic kind of strain but this was complex, fruity, and the buds were huge! Maybe I just got lucky with the pheno.
They have a sale on for a couple of days, that strain special kush 1 is going for under 3 euros, I'd get 25 but I'm banned from buying seeds right now :haha:

Thought I'd pop in and say, just harvested 3 Linda Seeds auto Gorilla Glue. Small, compact plants that grew in 3 gallon pots. Harvested the three at about 75 days and they gave me 261 grams dry! I could easily fit 9 in the 4x4... How's that for cheap seed! And it's good bud!

They had a PH issue and looked a bit rough, yet they still produced well.

GG pic1 -11-23-2021.jpg
GG pic2 -11-23-2021.jpg
GG pic3 -11-23-2021.jpg

Back