Whether to Ph or not(for my specific situation) and a few other questions.

Reaction score
Hey friends. I have been growing for a little over 9 months and have 3 harvests under my belt. 1 harvest ago I switched to an organic soil and dry amendment schedule, and now I am trying to go more in on the organic side. I recently made a large batch of soil, and I have been keeping it dampish to allow some bacterial colonies an easier time thriving. It smells great right now, and has a rich blackish color. In about two weeks I will be potting up all 80 gallons of soil, in 5 10 gallon pots, and 5 5 gallon pots. I will then be starting a photoperiod grow in my 4x4, while growing autos in my 3x3. My soil mixture is a mixture of FFOF(foxfarm ocean forest), FFSF(foxfarm strawberry fields), FFHF(foxfarm happy frog), and CoM (Coast of Maine) soil.

Should I ph my water when feeding plants? I have two water sources available to me, RO water that goes through a home system, and the water that comes through my tap. The tap water I don't have the details on, but it comes out of the tap around 8-8.3 ph. I think it is likely hard water, and it is buffered extremely well. It takes a tbsp of ph down to get it down to the correct level.

Now, a related question. I am going to install blumat systems in both of my tents soon. There are sometimes I am away from home for 3-5 days and I think a blumat would really help with watering. I plan to put a 25 gallon tote connected to each tents blumat. Will this work? How would I be able to maintain the PH of the water in the tote, if I even need to? Would I need an airstone in the tote to make sure the water doesn't start growing colonies of anaerobic bacteria by not moving around?

On an unrelated note, does anyone have a good reference to how to setup the lung room? There are a LOT of resources on how to set up a grow tent for max airflow, but how should you set up a lung room? For instance, where should the humidifier be placed? What about the heater if needed? Or the Ac unit? A link to a proper resource would be greatly appreciated. I'm having trouble with getting enough airflow in my lung room to push around the humidity and heat. There are hot pockets and cold pockets in there currently.

Finally, does anyone have a good resource on crafting your own soil? I have been reading quite a bit and its all seemed to become more confusing. There are a lot of varying opinions. For instance, I listening to an organic growing show my friend showed me, and they had a paleontologist on. He claimed that using bone meal and any sort of rock substance is absolutely useless because that stuff takes so long to break down that you wouldnt be seeing decomposition sustainable for plant growth until 5 years after adding them. Furthermore, how do you know how much of each amendment to add? There's so many meals, composts, minerals, etc. How do you know how much of anything you should add? For example, dolomite lime used to adjust ph. How much should you use to adjust the ph by a certain amount? Also whats the best organic slow relase form of potassium? I asked a buddy and he said kelp meal but I went to the store and the kelp meal they had was 1-0-1 and I imagine I would need to add quite a bit to even make a difference.

Any and all help is appreciated!! :smoking::smoking:

https://buildasoil.com is a great place to start
A good organic soil doesnt need ph'd water as long as the water is 150ppm or less and has had chlorine/chloramine removed ( or is reverse osmosis water). The soil will regulate the ph
GL

https://buildasoil.com is a great place to start
A good organic soil doesnt need ph'd water as long as the water is 150ppm or less and has had chlorine/chloramine removed ( or is reverse osmosis water). The soil will regulate the ph
GL

Thank you, sounds like I should be good just using my RO water then. which should simplify things. It took me AGES to get PH to balance when using synthetics :crying:

Back