What am I doing wrong?

Subaroot

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Hi all, first grow, started 2 autos, 1 week 5 days ago. Fat Banana Auto, and West Coast O.G. Auto.

Fat Banana seems pretty happy, West Coast is very stunted. At first I assumed her comparatively slower growth to Fat Banana was just genetics. But I've given her a bit of time to spring into life and she's not having it.

Medium/grow method: Soil - Biobizz light mix + 40% Perlite

Feed: and supplements used: Rhizo blast - 2.5ml/10L

water source: Tap, pH 6.25-6.75

Strain/age: West Coast O.G. Auto

light used: HLG 300L rspec - 60% power

Climate: 21degC - 57% RH

Additional info: Germed seed was planted directly into final pot, 22L Fabric on risers, pot was watered (til runoff) at time of germination and left in tent to warm up under light until planting 3 days later. Have I suffocated the roots?

Thanks all :toke:

Attachments

• 20230226_123157.jpg
    20230226_123157.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
I would not be feeding any nutrients until normal leaves are showing.

Do you have a DLI reading on your light?

Did you check your PH after adding the nutes?

My photone app is taking a DLI reading of 38mol/m2/d

Yes, pH before adding rhizo blast 6.25, after, 6.75. I use dip strips, but I'm colourblind :dizzy: so m'lady has to help me out :kissass:

Sometimes autos are just runty little weeds. I've recently had the runt of the litter shoot out and veg past all my initial rigorous growers and become my biggest yielder. Currently running a grow of 4 plants and the 2 smallest that I considered throwing out and starting over have just started stretching and look to be on track to be just as big or bigger than the others and they looked just like yours for for weeks+. Sometimes all the plants energy is being used to grow its root system and once that's done the vegging will start.

Sometimes autos are just runty little weeds. I've recently had the runt of the litter shoot out and veg past all my initial rigorous growers and become my biggest yielder. Currently running a grow of 4 plants and the 2 smallest that I considered throwing out and starting over have just started stretching and look to be on track to be just as big or bigger than the others and they looked just like yours for for weeks+. Sometimes all the plants energy is being used to grow its root system and once that's done the vegging will start.

You may be right, this plant is way smaller than the other one, but the soil seems to be drying up quicker.

I've still got the girls on 24/0, I'd say the other plant is nearly ready for dark periods, maybe this one would appreciate a rest too.

Regarding: "light used: HLG 300L rspec - 60% power," what setting is this? Where does HLG or anyone report how to correlate power settings vs. wattage?

I have the same HLG 300 watt light but haven't seen how to calculate or charts that report actual power/wattage at the 1-10 clicks/settings provided (other than the switch starts at 90 watts and goes up to 300).

60% power? Do you really mean on the 6th out of 10 light intensity settings (which is likely not 60% power or 180 watts)? Or are you measuring DLI (but that's not a power/wattage measurement)? Isn't the starting lowest setting (as I recall) at 90 watts (30% of 300 watt rating)? If so, then theoretically with 210 watts needed to get to 300, wouldn't each of the 10 settings/increments add 21 watts of power; and the closest setting to 60%/180 watts would be on the 4th click/setting (90 plus 4 x 21 = 174 watts)?

Hi all, first grow, started 2 autos, 1 week 5 days ago. Fat Banana Auto, and West Coast O.G. Auto.

Fat Banana seems pretty happy, West Coast is very stunted. At first I assumed her comparatively slower growth to Fat Banana was just genetics. But I've given her a bit of time to spring into life and she's not having it.

Medium/grow method: Soil - Biobizz light mix + 40% Perlite

Feed: and supplements used: Rhizo blast - 2.5ml/10L

water source: Tap, pH 6.25-6.75

Strain/age: West Coast O.G. Auto

light used: HLG 300L rspec - 60% power

Climate: 21degC - 57% RH

Additional info: Germed seed was planted directly into final pot, 22L Fabric on risers, pot was watered (til runoff) at time of germination and left in tent to warm up under light until planting 3 days later. Have I suffocated the roots?

Thanks all :toke:
First of all, :welcome: to AFN brother :toke:
A great place to hang out or get information, like you already have found out :cheers:
To answer your quandary...You are treating that seedling like it is two weeks old. To much of everything...
So, slow down...Dim your lights to 30%. A DLI of 20 is more then enough for a seedling. Then nutrients...Leave those in the bottle. Even though it's called lightmix, there's still enough food for the seedling to grow in. You could add some bennies and myco to help the rootsystem out, but that's completely your call.
Then finally, humidity...You need to keep that high. 57% is just to low...You need to aim at around 75% for the first two to three weeks. Then it can slowly be lowered.

Hope this information helps brother. If you have anymore questions, juts ask and we'll come a hollin' :woohoo:

Regarding: "light used: HLG 300L rspec - 60% power," what setting is this? Where does HLG or anyone report how to correlate power settings vs. wattage?

I have the same HLG 300 watt light but haven't seen how to calculate or charts that report actual power/wattage at the 1-10 clicks/settings provided (other than the switch starts at 90 watts and goes up to 300).

60% power? Do you really mean on the 6th out of 10 light intensity settings (which is likely not 60% power or 180 watts)? Or are you measuring DLI (but that's not a power/wattage measurement)? Isn't the starting lowest setting (as I recall) at 90 watts (30% of 300 watt rating)? If so, then theoretically with 210 watts needed to get to 300, wouldn't each of the 10 settings/increments add 21 watts of power; and the closest setting to 60%/180 watts would be on the 4th click/setting (90 plus 4 x 21 = 174 watts)?

Sorry I was being a little under-technical, I just meant the 6th out of 11 notches (11 as notch 0 is still an "on" state).
The photone app is reading a little over 400ppfd at this setting.

First of all, :welcome: to AFN brother :toke:
A great place to hang out or get information, like you already have found out :cheers:
To answer your quandary...You are treating that seedling like it is two weeks old. To much of everything...
So, slow down...Dim your lights to 30%. A DLI of 20 is more then enough for a seedling. Then nutrients...Leave those in the bottle. Even though it's called lightmix, there's still enough food for the seedling to grow in. You could add some bennies and myco to help the rootsystem out, but that's completely your call.
Then finally, humidity...You need to keep that high. 57% is just to low...You need to aim at around 75% for the first two to three weeks. Then it can slowly be lowered.

Hope this information helps brother. If you have anymore questions, juts ask and we'll come a hollin' :woohoo:

Hey Bob thanks for the reply, I've turned the humidity up and the light down.

Regarding the nutes, are you referring to the rhizo blast? That's the only nute I've added, started using it at 1 week and at half strength.

I think @Bob's Auto's got you covered with everything he's said also a lot of the growing is going on underneath with the roots so as long as you don't overwater her she should start taking off anytime

Hey Bob thanks for the reply, I've turned the humidity up and the light down.

Regarding the nutes, are you referring to the rhizo blast? That's the only nute I've added, started using it at 1 week and at half strength.
The rhizo blast used at normal dosages shouldn't harm the plant, it should actually promote root growth. But it's nutrient based. I would rather use something like hydroguard or if you are in Europe, BioTabs' Bactrex

Back