Extraction The^Dudes Cobbing Experiments

I've been reading sweetsue and tangwena's threads for several hours now, and the more I read, the more I feel that cobbing is the perfect solution to medicate myself (I can't smoke or vape anymore).

On the other hand I don't understand why this technique hasn't become more popular, because apparently according to all those who have tried it, it seems to be incomparable, in terms of effects and flavor/sweetness (for those who smoke it or the vape).

What is your opinion ?

I've been reading sweetsue and tangwena's threads for several hours now, and the more I read, the more I feel that cobbing is the perfect solution to medicate myself (I can't smoke or vape anymore).

On the other hand I don't understand why this technique hasn't become more popular, because apparently according to all those who have tried it, it seems to be incomparable, in terms of effects and flavor/sweetness (for those who smoke it or the vape).

What is your opinion ?
Mainly for a couple of reasons.
The process is fairly involved. It would be very difficult, commercially, to upscale and produce a consistent product at a price that's viable.
Your average canna consumer is not going to buy that much weed and allocate it to a process taking months...............IF they could get weed that is fresh and not dried.

It's kinda like all the cool stuff I can do with canna. It's really only viable if you grow it yourself.

Now, thinking about it, this could be the best way to get the full entire benefits of cannabis, if you're eating the cobbed canna.

Like all the things I can do to utilize the canna I grow, utilizing this method gives me another option. It kinda adds the way I classify strains and individual plants. I have flower girls and I have hash girls. The flower girls will remain the same, this will give an option for hash girls.

What is your opinion ?
Another reason besides @WildBill ‘s excellent observations is that we are afraid of bacteria these days. I gotta spend 40 minutes in the soap aisle at the store just to find one that’s not anti microbial. We’re waging a war against over 90% of the cells in our body (we are completely outnumbered, but they aren’t living in or on us, they are us). So when you tell people to seal it up and let the warm, wet conditions grow some microbes, that can freak people out. I had a couple friends who wouldn’t even try it.
Then you tell people they gotta buy a vacuum sealer, and you lose the other half of your potential audience.
I wish I had cobbed some of my last outdoor harvest, I was saving some fresh frozen in the freezer and just lost it thanks to our weeklong power outage :doh:

Another reason besides @WildBill ‘s excellent observations is that we are afraid of bacteria these days. I gotta spend 40 minutes in the soap aisle at the store just to find one that’s not anti microbial. We’re waging a war against over 90% of the cells in our body (we are completely outnumbered, but they aren’t living in or on us, they are us). So when you tell people to seal it up and let the warm, wet conditions grow some microbes, that can freak people out. I had a couple friends who wouldn’t even try it.
Then you tell people they gotta buy a vacuum sealer, and you lose the other half of your potential audience.
I wish I had cobbed some of my last outdoor harvest, I was saving some fresh frozen in the freezer and just lost it thanks to our weeklong power outage :doh:
Hmmmmmmmm.........ya got me to thinking with damn power loss!:eyebrows::eyebrows: Damn shame!:face:

I have three 1gal bags of Mangos N Chem in the freezer for dry ice hash. Just thinking about early drying of canna, I'm thinking fresh chopped will give a better tasting end product for those that don't like the taste of chlorophyll. Whole plant or broken down to large stems would give it more time or the chlorophyll to be broken down and still have a ferment level moisture. You'd have less time for that to occur with fresh froze bud.
That is if the sweating process doesn't do that.
I dunno if a good Sous Vide and vacuum sealer are in the budget this month with getting a new light. I'm not gonna cheap out just to get it done sooner.

@WildBill @snerval You guys will love it. It's a fun project.
I plan on at least halving my ferment and sweat times on the next batch, in
an attempt to preserve terps.

I sent some Cosmic Apprentice home with my step daughter and a few hours
later my son in law sent me a text saying "damn that's some stoney shit Rick" lol.
Everyone I've let try smoke or chew the cob likes it.

I weighed out 1 gram of Glueberry OG this morning about 11am, chewed and swallowed.
Very strong. I feel very floaty. :biggrin:
Sticking with .7 or so in the future. :baked:
Smoking a hash laced joint with it might have been going overboard.

Mainly for a couple of reasons.
The process is fairly involved. It would be very difficult, commercially, to upscale and produce a consistent product at a price that's viable.
Your average canna consumer is not going to buy that much weed and allocate it to a process taking months...............IF they could get weed that is fresh and not dried.

It's kinda like all the cool stuff I can do with canna. It's really only viable if you grow it yourself.

Now, thinking about it, this could be the best way to get the full entire benefits of cannabis, if you're eating the cobbed canna.

Like all the things I can do to utilize the canna I grow, utilizing this method gives me another option. It kinda adds the way I classify strains and individual plants. I have flower girls and I have hash girls. The flower girls will remain the same, this will give an option for hash girls.
I understand and I agree.
However, the manufacturing process for cobs is quite similar to that of chewing tobacco, for example.
If there's enough demand, the market could adapt and offer different cobs, of different varieties... like it did for edible etc...
But for there to be a demand, consumers must be aware of the existence of this possibility... which doesn't seem to be the case at all - it seems to me that only a small portion of cannabis users have heard about this curing technique.

One thing is for sure : if I manage to bring my plants to a happy ending, a big part of it will go into my first attempts at cobbing - and I'll be curing some flowers for my son too :)

I couldn't agree more !
It's crazy to be so frightened by creatures that are largely responsible for life itself!
All the madness in the world...
I myself am passionate about food fermentation - which is why I was all the more pleased to learn of the existence of cobbing !
I constantly make tibicos (kéfir de fruit in french), for those who don't know it's a prodigious, delicious probiotic drink, very simple to make and absolutely safe!
And I'm not even talking about the possibilities of flavoring it with fruits/herbs/spices !!
Here in my area there's a nice tibicos grain exchange community ^^

As for the equipment needed to make the cobs, I don't think that's a real obstacle. After all many people already have a vacuum sealer, and at worst if it had to be bought, for around twenty euros (dollars?) it is possible to choose from a multitude of models - same reasoning for the food dehydrator - the buying a heating mat to make a "Cobatron" (term invented by a member of another forum) would not be a big obstacle !

Too bad the loss of your weed due to a power cut... however I learned that frozen weed is not suitable for making cobs - for one reason or another the plant must be alive (fermentation requires) - it's a story of cell membrane rupture due to the intense cold apparently.

@WildBill @snerval You guys will love it. It's a fun project.
I plan on at least halving my ferment and sweat times on the next batch, in

I sent some Cosmic Apprentice home with my step daughter and a few hours
later my son in law sent me a text saying "damn that's some stoney shit Rick" lol.
Everyone I've let try smoke or chew the cob likes it.

I weighed out 1 gram of Glueberry OG this morning about 11am, chewed and swallowed.
Very strong. I feel very floaty. :biggrin:
Sticking with .7 or so in the future. :baked:
Smoking a hash laced joint with it might have been going overboard.
I can't wait to start experimenting !

I couldn't agree more !
It's crazy to be so frightened by creatures that are largely responsible for life itself!
All the madness in the world...
I myself am passionate about food fermentation - which is why I was all the more pleased to learn of the existence of cobbing !
I constantly make tibicos (kéfir de fruit in french), for those who don't know it's a prodigious, delicious probiotic drink, very simple to make and absolutely safe!
And I'm not even talking about the possibilities of flavoring it with fruits/herbs/spices !!
Here in my area there's a nice tibicos grain exchange community ^^

As for the equipment needed to make the cobs, I don't think that's a real obstacle. After all many people already have a vacuum sealer, and at worst if it had to be bought, for around twenty euros (dollars?) it is possible to choose from a multitude of models - same reasoning for the food dehydrator - the buying a heating mat to make a "Cobatron" (term invented by a member of another forum) would not be a big obstacle !

Too bad the loss of your weed due to a power cut... however I learned that frozen weed is not suitable for making cobs - for one reason or another the plant must be alive (fermentation requires) - it's a story of cell membrane rupture due to the intense cold apparently.
The ice crystals puncture the cells. The same 'problem' the cryo nuts try to 'overcome'. :face: :rofl::haha::haha::haha:

That's why I usually work my fresh froze as soon as possible. I feel that I get green at a later time, more productive, if I process it asap. The longer frozen seems to break down sooner. Not that big of a deal. I'll still recover that goodness with ArdentFX with infused coconut oil. It gets pretty potent with multiple infusing.
I might later try a alcohol extraction, but I think it would full of chlorophyll.
I want to make some tincture to make something more flexible than oil.
Nothing like RSO. I hope I don't have to make that stuff again. I still have a test batch in the freezer. Powerful AF but nasty! It did get my back right the other day. It was a tiny dab that I put in my hot black coffee. Started working very quickly. Itty-bitty dose compared to what they ended up giving my friend the RSO I made for her. They still had her on opiates, but drastically reduced.

@WildBill @snerval I plan on at least halving my ferment and sweat times on the next batch, in
An excerpt read today :
"When vegetation dries, the individual cells which maintained life processes die. But marijuana can still be conditioned by means of fermentation. Fermentation is the process in which microbes and plant enzymes break down complex chemicals into simpler ones, mainly starch and sugars into alcohol and simple acids. In the process chlorophyll is destroyed, giving the material a more ripened appearance. If the fermentation is stopped early, the marijuana has a sweeter taste because of the sugars which the ferment produced."
Ed Rosenthal

You had a good intuition it seems !
In any case, a reproducible temp/duration marker to control the taste/aroma/smoke... :toke:
Also playing with some moisture would surely modify the conditions of fermentation in the cob.

Last edited:
Back