Extraction The^Dudes Cobbing Experiments

Thank you @The^Dude, always good to learn.
Atm I'm running on biotabs line, which is great. My goal is to be able to create my own amendments and stuff, but it's not so easy to settle down all what is needed.
You can easily malt(sprout) your own barley for one of the listed amendments. You can make SST with it also.
If you want to make your own amendments, you need to explore KNF. Lots of really easy and very effective amendments you can make.

Thank you @The^Dude, always good to learn.
Atm I'm running on biotabs line, which is great. My goal is to be able to create my own amendments and stuff, but it's not so easy to settle down all what is needed.

Here's the pitfall when learning how to make your own amendments: knowing which ones to use, when, and why. It's very easy to go way overboard with homemade liquid calcium and forget to supply the basics. So my first suggestion would be to keep it super simple. Malted Barley is an amazing starting place. You can get it on Amazon in 5# bags, I grab 50# from my local brew shop. It takes me a while to go through it.
I grind it and add it to the soil, feed it to my worms, add it to tea or make tea out of it, all sorts of stuff. WildBill gets barley seeds and sprouts them himself, that's the best, freshest way. Also very easy, and you can puree the sprouts and add them to tea for a super enzyme boost.

OR Start a worm farm, super duper easy. Feed them the malted barley and some other goodies, the castings they make will be better than 90% of the amendments you could source or create. Today you can grab a 20 gallon fabric pot or plastic bin, add some perlite or lava rock [or whatever] to the bottom, fill the rest with soil, compost, some newspaper or cardboard, perlite, some oyster shell, get it wet but not too wet, and order some worms. I used to run two bins, and they were brimming with life. Any time I wanted to feed or saw some pests I'd just add a handful. Makes great compost tea as well.
I once read that if you want to grow the best organically the very first thing you should do is start a worm bin. I didn't listen, I made amendments and extracts and ferments and teas, all of it. Finally I started a worm bin. If I could go back I would have started with building my own soil (which I did) and then with a worm bin. Then Malted Barley. Then sprouted seed teas. From there you get a better handle on what pieces you can add to boost your quality and quantity.

Here is all that remains of the old site I believe, I have the spreadsheet which is great for calculating this out based on how much soil you need, but here I'll post a screenshot. Nothing has to be exact. Mine never is.
Screenshot - 2023-03-02T140015.623.png

Some how I missed this , When I first tried it I took 2 1/2 grams . after a hour I lost my grounding to earth , fucked if I know where I was for the next 2 hours or so :shrug:, but when I landed I was still in the same chair with 1/2 a hot beer and still very high .:biggrin:

Here's the pitfall when learning how to make your own amendments: knowing which ones to use, when, and why. It's very easy to go way overboard with homemade liquid calcium and forget to supply the basics. So my first suggestion would be to keep it super simple. Malted Barley is an amazing starting place. You can get it on Amazon in 5# bags, I grab 50# from my local brew shop. It takes me a while to go through it.
I grind it and add it to the soil, feed it to my worms, add it to tea or make tea out of it, all sorts of stuff. WildBill gets barley seeds and sprouts them himself, that's the best, freshest way. Also very easy, and you can puree the sprouts and add them to tea for a super enzyme boost.

OR Start a worm farm, super duper easy. Feed them the malted barley and some other goodies, the castings they make will be better than 90% of the amendments you could source or create. Today you can grab a 20 gallon fabric pot or plastic bin, add some perlite or lava rock [or whatever] to the bottom, fill the rest with soil, compost, some newspaper or cardboard, perlite, some oyster shell, get it wet but not too wet, and order some worms. I used to run two bins, and they were brimming with life. Any time I wanted to feed or saw some pests I'd just add a handful. Makes great compost tea as well.
I once read that if you want to grow the best organically the very first thing you should do is start a worm bin. I didn't listen, I made amendments and extracts and ferments and teas, all of it. Finally I started a worm bin. If I could go back I would have started with building my own soil (which I did) and then with a worm bin. Then Malted Barley. Then sprouted seed teas. From there you get a better handle on what pieces you can add to boost your quality and quantity.

Here is all that remains of the old site I believe, I have the spreadsheet which is great for calculating this out based on how much soil you need, but here I'll post a screenshot. Nothing has to be exact. Mine never is.
View attachment 1570083
Thanks so much, this is awesome.

Some how I missed this , When I first tried it I took 2 1/2 grams . after a hour I lost my grounding to earth , fucked if I know where I was for the next 2 hours or so :shrug:, but when I landed I was still in the same chair with 1/2 a hot beer and still very high .:biggrin:
Thanks for blazing the trail for us, off it weren’t for your experimenting we never would have found cobbing, nor would we have realized how potent it is. I think I’d have a heart attack with 2 1/2 grams :dizzy:

View attachment 1570083
You nailed with the worms! I was feeding quality things to them in the bin. One of the things I fed them was the bulk matter from making FFJ. That was some great castings!
I'd water the castings in with a weak amino water to help a little with the uptake. When you can see change overnight in how the girl holds herself, you know it's effective.

My worms got overheated this past summer and my supplier went outta business because of their landlord not fixing the ac after copper thieves tore them apart. Really need to start another one.
I love the ease of EarthBoxes. If I build a growroom in my shop, I'll have a 4x4 no-til living soil bed with cover crop. Living means microscopic flora and fauna, larger bennies, worms and multi-strain cover crop. I strive for diversity. Diversity is a key element in organic growing. Diversity in every aspect of growing!:headbang::headbang:

Alright! I'm ending it there! I'm high AF on my organic canna and I can rant about organics forever.:biggrin:
The^Dude
You would have liked my GrandMa!

You nailed with the worms! I was feeding quality things to them in the bin. One of the things I fed them was the bulk matter from making FFJ. That was some great castings!
I'd water the castings in with a weak amino water to help a little with the uptake. When you can see change overnight in how the girl holds herself, you know it's effective.

My worms got overheated this past summer and my supplier went outta business because of their landlord not fixing the ac after copper thieves tore them apart. Really need to start another one.
I love the ease of EarthBoxes. If I build a growroom in my shop, I'll have a 4x4 no-til living soil bed with cover crop. Living means microscopic flora and fauna, larger bennies, worms and multi-strain cover crop. I strive for diversity. Diversity is a key element in organic growing. Diversity in every aspect of growing!:headbang::headbang:

Alright! I'm ending it there! I'm high AF on my organic canna and I can rant about organics forever.:biggrin:
The^Dude
You would have liked my GrandMa!
Diversity is key for sure. You should be able to turn over a dime sized piece of soil and see tons of little animals. I used to call my big soil bin the “seed of life”, because it was 6 years of thriving ecosystem. Always wanted to pop a frog in there and let him live amongst the cover crops.
If I could make room for 4x4 or more that’s the way I’d go too. Mine is about 3x3 but it’s 20” deep, all the plants seem to like it enough. Right now all the cover is hiding under a bunch of pot plants, but once I start pulling leaves they’ll peek through. I let it go static for a while, so it’s not as lively as it once was, but it’ll get back.

Nice thing about this size bed, even with a couple big plants late in flower with no auto water setup (i usually use my blumats but not always) I can just water heavy and go out of town for a week or two, no problems. Nature is the best

Back