SIP GrowBucket Growers - Borrowing the AirDome from AutoPot

Update on using aeration in a GroBucket. I just harvested a Blueberry Mazar plant. It produced my best yield to date. I have a second plant starting to flower using aeration. It’s the biggest plant to date in my tent. Fingers crossed for a big yield!
I just used the round bubbler ball that came with the aquarium pump. On One one bucket I ran the hose through the overflow hole. On the other bucket I simply ran the hose through the feed tube. I removed the plastic screen. Both ways work well. However, I will stick with the second approach, it’s easy to remove when moving the plants around (see photo).
Well, I’m a big fan of GroBuckets. They fit my needs and work great. Adding aeration really hits it out of the park! Worth a try (the aquarium pump was about $15 us on eBay).
IMG_3603.jpeg

Paul,

I'm glad you posted this. I am finishing up my 4 x 4 grow with GroBuckets and air stones. Today is Day 61 of Flower, still waiting on more cloudy.

In my case, I haven't checked out the root balls, but if you compare it to my 2 x 4 tent with the same pheno growing in there. I would say the buds are almost twice as big (maybe 1.5x).

They were fed the same, and both started out under Mars Hydro SP-3000s. However, when I flipped to flower I upgraded the 4 x 4 tent with a new, more powerful light - Medic Grow Smart 8 (760w). I'm only running at 60% because of my SCROG net and the set up I went with this time. Even with the light changes, I am running both tents around 900 PPFD at the hottest spot on the canopy.

I've been growing non-stop for 19/20 months now and this is by far my best looking grow (also first SCROG).

I'll report back when I see the root balls compared. They are all in 5-gallon Tractor Supply buckets. Hopefully, it is close to an apples-to-apples comparison.

View attachment Group - D114 - F60 - 2540.jpeg

These plants are all "Tester" seeds, from 3 different breeders.

Left: Alani Skunk x Gluey from Brother's Grimm Seeds. They have since given it a name, "11:11."

1686504258684.png

View attachment ASG - D114 - F60 - 2550.jpeg

Center (both pots): F3 Velvet Punch by Jack Greenstalk of the Podcast named, Cheap Home Grow. He was inspired by DNADoja's F1 Velvet Purple. He has gone through F2 and now F3. These testers are now for sale. Amazing colors.

1686504446521.png

VP - D114 - F60 - 2547.jpeg

Right: Heavy Duty Fruity x Afterglow by Rasta Jeff at Irie Genetics. I'm not sure if this tester has been given a name yet. Beautiful Bud formations.

irie-logo.png

View attachment HDFA - D110 - D56F - 2504.jpeg

Update on using aeration in a GroBucket. I just harvested a Blueberry Mazar plant. It produced my best yield to date. I have a second plant starting to flower using aeration. It’s the biggest plant to date in my tent. Fingers crossed for a big yield!
I just used the round bubbler ball that came with the aquarium pump. On One one bucket I ran the hose through the overflow hole. On the other bucket I simply ran the hose through the feed tube. I removed the plastic screen. Both ways work well. However, I will stick with the second approach, it’s easy to remove when moving the plants around (see photo).
Well, I’m a big fan of GroBuckets. They fit my needs and work great. Adding aeration really hits it out of the park! Worth a try (the aquarium pump was about $15 us on eBay).

Attachments

• Group - D114 - F60 - 2540.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • ASG - D114 - F60 - 2550.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • HDFA - D110 - D56F - 2504.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
That’s a seriously flat canopy! The buds looks fat and dense. Just beautiful. I need a few more grows using aeration with the GB’s to be certain, but initial results look promising. Thanks for the inspiration.

Did you keep your air on when lights were out?

I already had a light timer with two outlets, so this grow my air pump went off with the lights.

I read on these forums that is how you are supposed to do it. I just don't remember "why?"

That’s a seriously flat canopy! The buds looks fat and dense. Just beautiful. I need a few more grows using aeration with the GB’s to be certain, but initial results look promising. Thanks for the inspiration.

I got 18 grow buckets I'm going to try a coco run with mc in one with air stones in bottom....I didn't know you need to turn out at lights out....

@InkAddict$

I don't know the science behind turning off the air with the lights.

I just did it since my light timer had the second outlet.

It could be something to do with the plants not taking up much when in darkness? I don't know.

As for this way of growing, I have a ton of the GBs too. My tomatoes outside love them.

Something I did by accident and kept doing was watering (feeding) through the top, allowing it to fill the bottom chamber. Instead of just filling up through the tube. That way the whole root system got a "taste" as the nutrients passed by on the way to the bottom. Then it converts back into a wicking system.

If you do this, I suggest having a wet-vac on the ready. Rarely do I put the perfect amount in. My buckets are sitting in large plastic plant saucers, which buy me a little time once the overflow starts.

Plus, this technique is awesome for flushing out the media if you are having a pH or high EC issue.

I bought one of the those drill activated pumps ($12) with 3/4 braided hose on both ends. So, as I flood the container from the top, I am also ready to quickly pump out the bottom chamber when I see it start coming out of the overflow hole.

1686531457576.png

I use a very coarse type of coco so it runs right through in no time. I joke that it's coarse like caveman pubic hair (I'm guessing of course :biggrin:).

1686531591659.png

I got a good deal on 3.5 gallon buckets, but when I put the GB basket in there is not a lot of room for coco or soil. I may use the smaller ones for the two Autos I have lined up for this grow, since I don't usually grow large auto plants anyway. I feed/water almost everyday so the roots won't be searching too far anyway.

I still grow other ways.

In fact, in another tent. I have 2 GB's in a 2 x 4 tent now that I supplement with BluMat feeders (carrots).

And I will always love my AutoPots.

But for now, SIP is my go-to. I think this next run I will go ahead and run my BluMats in the 4 x 4, just as a little sump'n sump'n extra for the plants. I have all the gear already.

I got 18 grow buckets I'm going to try a coco run with mc in one with air stones in bottom....I didn't know you need to turn out at lights out....

@InkAddict$

It could be something to do with the plants not taking up much when in darkness? I don't know.

As for this way of growing, I have a ton of the GBs too. My tomatoes outside love them.

Something I did by accident and kept doing was watering (feeding) through the top, allowing it to fill the bottom chamber. Instead of just filling up through the tube. That way the whole root system got a "taste" as the nutrients passed by on the way to the bottom. Then it converts back into a wicking system.

If you do this, I suggest having a wet-vac on the ready. Rarely do I put the perfect amount in. My buckets are sitting in large plastic plant saucers, which buy me a little time once the overflow starts.

Plus, this technique is awesome for flushing out the media if you are having a pH or high EC issue.

I bought one of the those drill activated pumps ($12) with 3/4 braided hose on both ends. So, as I flood the container from the top, I am also ready to quickly pump out the bottom chamber when I see it start coming out of the overflow hole.

View attachment 1602758

I use a very coarse type of coco so it runs right through in no time. I joke that it's coarse like caveman pubic hair (I'm guessing of course :biggrin:).

View attachment 1602762

I got a good deal on 3.5 gallon buckets, but when I put the GB basket in there is not a lot of room for coco or soil. I may use the smaller ones for the two Autos I have lined up for this grow, since I don't usually grow large auto plants anyway. I feed/water almost everyday so the roots won't be searching too far anyway.

I still grow other ways.

In fact, in another tent. I have 2 GB's in a 2 x 4 tent now that I supplement with BluMat feeders (carrots).

But for now, SIP is my go-to. I think this next run I will go ahead and run my BluMats in the 4 x 4, just as a little sump'n sump'n extra for the plants. I have all the gear already.
I got both 3.5 a 5 gal buckets both had same size plants....that was my issue I was top feeding and filling and letting water sit...it would mess them up....now I know..ty..I'll have to give them another shot...with megacrop I use a 70/30 perlite growers choice coco....this isbin a rainscience grow bag on a ac infinity self watering grow base....using Megacrop....i want to try sip now since i figured out the mc finally.....
20230609_142001.jpg

@InkAddict$

View attachment 1602758

View attachment 1602762

I still grow other ways.

Thanks bud my fellow neighbor....Cardinals baby...

@InkAddict$

I got both 3.5 a 5 gal buckets both had same size plants

That is excellent to know. :joy:

I bought the 3.5 gallon buckets to help shorten the distance from the top of the canopy (SCROG) to the lights.

My 4 buckets are on a mini-folding picnic table. If I go lower with the legs I won't be able to crawl under and tuck on the back side of the tent.

Note to Future Scroggers: Make sure to buy a tent with more than one entry point. Lesson learned here. :smokeit:

As of now I am about 14 to 16" inches below the light. I would be a lot happier if I could have just a few more inches to spare. The light is already at the top of the tent. I still able to dial in proper PPFD, but I have to plan for a canopy that isn't quite as uniform as this one.

For the grow ... black 3.5 gallon bucket it shall be.

This pic should give a visual for the type of table I am talking about. The legs fold up to flatten it, but you can also shorten or raise the legs. Of course the next notch down makes it hard for me to get under. I know me and that would lead to me not "tucking" under the net like I should.

Group 1 - D34 -1202.jpg

Last edited:
Can’t believe I missed this thread. I’m a GroBucket freak lol. I’ve been wanting to come up with a way to add an air stone to the reservoir and will probably give this or something similar a try soon.

Back