New Grower New grower: third set of seeds...

LearningMore

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I am still trying to get my first successful grow. My first seeds (ILGM) sprouted but were irreparably burned by too-strong of light (even dimmed at 25%). My second set of seeds (ILGM) grew well for the first ten days or so but then stunted. Thanks to the wisdom of several growers here (@Tom Bombadil , @Mañ'O'Green , @Fitzy @Bill.de.Cat , @Jaydot ), it appears that was a result of poor, alkaline soil (Kellogg organic soil :cuss:) and I suspect underwatering. Those seedlings are still alive but we’ll see if they were too stunted to recover. So, I am starting a new, and what I hope will finally be my first successful, grow!

Specs:
4x4 tent (for now - I have another to move some of them to for more space...I sure hope to need it!)
HLG 600Rspec light
FF Happy Frog soil +25% more perlite
5gal fabric pots, elevated in trays to not sit in runoff
Infinity T6 inline fan on 2 for air exchange
Passive intake
Oscillating fan (not on seedlings yet)
Cool mist humidifier in tent with rain bird setting of 75% for now)
FF trio nutes (eventually)
Seeds (doing two different breeders as I wonder if breeder played part in failures):
2 ILGM Gorilla Glue
2 ILGM Girl Scout Cookies Extreme
2 Mephisto Skywalker OG
2 Mephisto 3 Bears OG
Water: Filtered tap with TDS ~180 plain; pH’d to 6.3-6.5 range

Seeds have all sprouted in jiffy pellets (germed 3/7-8 in water soak). Currently under humidity dome and I’m lightly spritzing them 2x a day so they don’t dry out. Temps 77ish and humidity in tent ~75%. I ‘air out” the domes a couple times a day. Light is dimmed to 10% and raised ~30” to achieve Lux of ~4000 at seedling level. They’re starting to stretch, but I don’t see much taproot yet out of the pellet. I pre-soaked my pots (water pH 6.5) today and plan to transplant tomorrow if root growth is visible. I’ll transplant deeply so as to counter some of the stretch.

I plan to update regularly as I’ve seen how quickly things can turn. I appreciate any guidance, as I’m pretty disappointed after the first two runs. I am really looking forward to getting everything “Dialed in” such that this is an enjoyable hobby (rather than the rather stressful experience so far).

One question: how fast to increase light intensity?

Thanks for reading.

:d5: :toke: :thumbsup: :pop:

for the lighting theres two ways to do it dim the light to 20% and raise up the power as the plants get bigger or start from 50%-100% power but hang the light double the recommenced hanging height my first few grows i just left the light at the top of the tent till i seen the plants stretching

Pic of seedlings today.

Attachments

• 5EBAB9ED-040F-4017-964F-E872E92AE206.jpeg
    5EBAB9ED-040F-4017-964F-E872E92AE206.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
I suggest you up your lighting intensity, at least a little, they look like they're stretching for light. Also prolly need to get them in their bags pretty soon, you don't want those seedling roots to air prune!
I personally believe this is where the "autos don't transplant well" myth originated. They're just more sensitive to finding the edges of their containers.

You'll get it! This didn't come naturally for many of us, and improving from last round is a never ending process! There's a point the lightbulb kinda clicks on, and your off... so hang on, and listen to those you mentioned! Having knowledgable people peeking over your shoulder and lending a hand is invaluable.

My seedlings all survived 100% light intensity just fine, HLG 550V2 Rspec. You need to keep a huge distance from the seedlings, the more intense the light source is. I kept 40 inches away, and I know better then to run a "hot" soil for younguns. FF Happy Frog is fine, FF Ocean Forest is a hotter soil. This can lead to problems w/ certain strains.

I suggest you up your lighting intensity, at least a little, they look like they're stretching for light. Also prolly need to get them in their bags pretty soon, you don't want those seedling roots to air prune!
I personally believe this is where the "autos don't transplant well" myth originated. They're just more sensitive to finding the edges of their containers.

You'll get it! This didn't come naturally for many of us, and improving from last round is a never ending process! There's a point the lightbulb kinda clicks on, and your off... so hang on, and listen to those you mentioned! Having knowledgable people peeking over your shoulder and lending a hand is invaluable.
Thank you so much - I appreciate the reassurance. I’ll transplant them this afternoon. I‘ll turn the lights up some, too. I definitely don’t like the stretch.

My seedlings all survived 100% light intensity just fine, HLG 550V2 Rspec. You need to keep a huge distance from the seedlings, the more intense the light source is. I kept 40 inches away, and I know better then to run a "hot" soil for younguns. FF Happy Frog is fine, FF Ocean Forest is a hotter soil. This can lead to problems w/ certain strains.
Excellent, thanks. So having the light high but intense will still combat stretching? So many people talk about lights having to be “closer” to avoid stretch, not “more intense”.

None of my grows has a plant got stretchy, like I see other people grow. Mine are usually about 12 inches tall with 11 or 12 sets of leaves, within 2 weeks or so.

You have a great light, use it properly.

These guys at 16 days old: LOWER LEFT is a Roc Bud, went in tent 4 days later (12 days old)

None of my grows has a plant got stretchy, like I see other people grow. Mine are usually about 12 inches tall with 11 or 12 sets of leaves, within 2 weeks or so.

You have a great light, use it properly.
It’s like a Ferrari in the hands of a 16 yr old... I’ll get there! Thanks.

FFHF with 1/3 perlite - vermiculite, rain water and spring water (read the label might be purified by RO) and they do pretty good.
20210311_092646.jpg

Top right corner plant taught me to read label.

Back