Lighting LED Information Overload

When I'm on my iPad I'll have a better suss. I just want the best for my future babies, something that will get me the best harvest for the style of light I'm using. I did look at bugsm0's website but could not find an email to contact him on. I have changed my mind and I think I will be running the whole 4x8 tent with 8 plants total, to start off with. How many of those lights would I need to give ample amount of lighting? Also in regards to the OPTIC6 LED, that uses a COB light? Someone told me it used old technology. I emailed them to ask them about the quality of their lights and they claim a 2 pound yield from the optic 6 in a 4x4 area.. seems too good to be true.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

noooooooo... not the optic 6.

now I'm not knocking the light (it grows well, Ive seen the results) its COB led tech, not sure what make of cobs and not sure what the make the driver is but as Chinese lights go's it one of the best.... BUT and it huge

it was commissioned by a YOU Tube grower for his company and is made in china. Its probaly made of half decent parts but its about 4 x the cost of building it your self. He even sells it way over price compared to the the American made lights that are the best in the matket. You can buy an HLG 550 for a few $ less and that is one of the best pre build built lights on the market if not the best.

He not ripping you off as the unit will perform reasonably well but he's not being honest with his pricing and way over charging you buy a long way.

noooooooo... not the optic 6.

now I'm not knocking the light (it grows well, Ive seen the results) its COB led tech, not sure what make of cobs and not sure what the make the driver is but as Chinese lights go's it one of the best.... BUT and it huge

it was commissioned by a YOU Tube grower for his company and is made in china. Its probaly made of half decent parts but its about 4 x the cost of building it your self. He even sells it way over price compared to the the American made lights that are the best in the matket. You can buy an HLG 550 for a few $ less and that is one of the best pre build built lights on the market if not the best.

He not ripping you off as the unit will perform reasonably well but he's not being honest with his pricing and way over charging you buy a long way.

I was actually thinking about it, it makes so much sense to go DIY. The OPTIC has both COB LEDs and those cheap Chinese LEDs, but I thought to myself... I could just add in one of my viparspectra lights if I want to add more red spectrum to help bloom.

Can someone please refer me to some links and some stores that sell the DIY parts so I can subs, I will be looking back on all the terms and that one thread above to get more depth into the world. I'm just so sceptical, but I am a DIY person most of the time, so I am 100% willing to give it a go now that I have so much more insight.

Also in terms of PAR, is this the light that the plant actually absorbs? I want to get a good understanding so I'm setting up the best for my plants. I will be starting off with a 8x4 tent with 8 autoflower plants in 5 gallon pots, I've seen a lot about smaller pots for auto flowers, although mine got root bound in 15Litre pots.... and could have kept growing much, much bigger!

I think I'm going to mix up some COBs and my cheap ass VIPAR lights. /I'm getting bloooooddddyyyyy excited/

Maybe I don't mean COBs, whatever this latest technology is [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was actually thinking about it, it makes so much sense to go DIY. The OPTIC has both COB LEDs and those cheap Chinese LEDs, but I thought to myself... I could just add in one of my viparspectra lights if I want to add more red spectrum to help bloom.

Can someone please refer me to some links and some stores that sell the DIY parts so I can subs, I will be looking back on all the terms and that one thread above to get more depth into the world. I'm just so sceptical, but I am a DIY person most of the time, so I am 100% willing to give it a go now that I have so much more insight.

Also in terms of PAR, is this the light that the plant actually absorbs? I want to get a good understanding so I'm setting up the best for my plants. I will be starting off with a 8x4 tent with 8 autoflower plants in 5 gallon pots, I've seen a lot about smaller pots for auto flowers, although mine got root bound in 15Litre pots.... and could have kept growing much, much bigger!

I think I'm going to mix up some COBs and my cheap ass VIPAR lights. /I'm getting bloooooddddyyyyy excited/

Maybe I don't mean COBs, whatever this latest technology is [emoji23]

what part of the world ya from matey ? I can give ya a few links to parts.

please do come over to our Quantum Board thread, it's the bee's knee's in new LED tech and we are all DIY'ers... don't worry if the nerdy stuff fly's over your head, it does for me most of the time. I just smile, nod and take another toke like I know whats going on. - https://www.autoflower.org/threads/quantum-board-thread.65461/page-20#post-1859334

and your first lot of home work before you spend ya cash... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSwmwj8ZLXObtBJmz-76rw/videos roll ya self a lot of joints and start from the beginning, go through all of Growmua5 vids at least twice. You may not understand quite a lot of it but after your first basic build things start to make sense. And you don't have to spend the cash he does on builds. He paints the picture for you and breaks it down showing you how easy it is just to wire 4 cobs in series is and to make a simple frame (my first build is the Growmau5 5 cob "X" shape design). And he opens up the rabbit hole with the pimp my ride style of grow lights.

I don't know what's more addictive now, growing canna or building the lights.

giphy53.gif

what part of the world ya from matey ? I can give ya a few links to parts.

please do come over to our Quantum Board thread, it's the bee's knee's in new LED tech and we are all DIY'ers... don't worry if the nerdy stuff fly's over your head, it does for me most of the time. I just smile, nod and take another toke like I know whats going on. - https://www.autoflower.org/threads/quantum-board-thread.65461/page-20#post-1859334

and your first lot of home work before you spend ya cash... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSwmwj8ZLXObtBJmz-76rw/videos roll ya self a lot of joints and start from the beginning, go through all of Growmua5 vids at least twice. You may not understand quite a lot of it but after your first basic build things start to make sense. And you don't have to spend the cash he does on builds. He paints the picture for you and breaks it down showing you how easy it is just to wire 4 cobs in series is and to make a simple frame (my first build is the Growmau5 5 cob "X" shape design). And he opens up the rabbit hole with the pimp my ride style of grow lights.

I don't know what's more addictive now, growing canna or building the lights.

View attachment 936518

I've wrapped my head around a lot, so from my understanding COB lights get much better light per watt compared to the epistar LEDs, correct? Also I'm still stuck on the Kelvin scale, what temp light do I need? 3000K, 3500K, 5000K? I just want to make sure that my plants are absorbing all the light they can, I don't want to waste light in areas that have nothing growing, I want to give it all to the plants. So I don't want to over-do it either, pumping XXX Watts when I'm wasting XX Watts because most of it isn't hitting the plants, if that makes sense.... ha ha

I'm from AUSTRALIA, but.... this might sound awkward, but I don't smoke! I do it for the missus & for close family friends.

hey :pass:
3500k for complete cycle will be good

btw , cob vs epistar led , thats a no match , cob win for sure

a craziness of growing light

hey :pass:
3500k for complete cycle will be good

btw , cob vs epistar led , thats a no match , cob win for sure

a craziness of growing light

I just read about 3K - 3200K is the best range for veg-bloom, has this all been tested or is everyone just throwing around random numbers that THEY think is the best temp light?

talk with the Big Boys of the forum :bighug:

for a complete cycle da 3500k will be good , some use 6500k for veg or late flower

Back