Lighting LED Information Overload

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals.

First time poster, third time grower. My first 2 grows were using VIPARSPECTRA LED grow lights.

This time round, I want to try something new, something that gives the most value for money. I am truly overwhelmed of all the options, there are plenty of cheap lights, and plenty of overpriced lights... So here is the plan:

8x4 Grow tent, I'm planning to setup only 4x4 of the tent for growing to get me started then the other 4x4 for for rotation to keep the flow going. I am planning to use 5 Gallon, 12 inch (diameter) fabric pots, I am planning to put 6 plants in half the tent, in the 4x4 area. My initial plan was to buy x6 MAXSISUN 300W dimmable LED lights, one for each plant which will cost me approx $600 worth of LEDs - this will ensure each plant gets ample lighting while being able to adjust the lighting accordingly - the true pull from each light is approx 142Watts which totals to 852Watts for 6 plants (auto flowers)

That was my original plan, but I am now second thinking this, since I want to get the most value for money, I want to get the highest & best quality yields for what I've got setup. I have been looking at the OPTIC range, OPTIC4 & OPTIC6 which apparently has the best yield per wattage of light. I was thinking of getting the 3000K & 5000K in-one model, I feel as if the more spectrum the better.. BUT, the price of this LED is significantly MORE expensive per power draw from the wall compared to the cheaper LED light, I understand there is a lot of variables that will be taken into consideration, but I want each plant to get the most lighting but I also don't want to waste electricity by giving them more light than needed.

See, how I was thinking of giving each plant their own 300W LED, this to me was a good option since in my mind, it would be giving each plant optimal lighting, opposed to going for let's say a OPTIC6 to cover 6 plants in a 4x4 area, it's going to focus most of the light energy to the plants that are directly below the light and the plants that are not directly under the light will loose out on lighting causing more popcorn buds. At least this is what my theory has been, and I am not too sure if this information is correct, but I am just basing this off research.

Just to ensure I make sense, each pot is 12 inches. So having 6 pots will use 36x24 inches of space (obviously I will space out the pots more, but this is just to make sure I make sense, haha). Having 1 led light for each plant, this will cover a total of 47x17 inches since each light is 15.7x8.4 inches. Opposed to 1 OPTIC6 LED Light which is 15x22 inches, which leaves a lot of dark spots where the plants aren't gaining optimal lighting.

So once again, for comparison:

OPTIC6 = $900 - 620Watts (true draw) - 6 COB's (x3 3000K & x3 5000K) with 96 brudgelux/epistar LEDs

MAXSISUN = $660 - 852Watts (true draw) - 62 (372 total) EpiLED/Brudgelux LEDs on each panel - adjustable, so I don't have to constantly be pulling 852Watts especially during the germination stage, and I can back off the blue spectrum a wee bit while flowering. So this will give me a slight advantage in terms of electricity & light coverage.

As you can see my current dilemma. Again, I understand the MAXSISUN LEDs are much cheaper, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best from my plants and the highest and densest yields, I am happy to pay premium if it will pay for itself in the long run!

I used VIPARSPECTRA for my first 2 grows, and I honestly had no issues, although I want more flexibility per plant so I can adjust light intensity and power consumption.

PLEASE NOTE, I AM FROM AUSTRALIA. If anyone has lighting suggestions that I can purchase in Australia please do make suggestions!

From a quick rough calculation, if I ran x6 300W MAXSISUN LEDs, it would cost me roughly $437 over 84 days (3 months) running full power the whole time.

Running x2 OPTIC4 lights on just the COBs for 2 months and full power on the third month (28 days) that would cost me approx $280.

The PAR rating from the OPTIC4 seems to be amazing, so far I'm a fence sitter but more to the side of the OPTIC4. Guys! Halpppp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would be looking for quantum boards or strips.if you have a budget between 600-900$ I believe you can assemble a kick-ass light for your space!

You can buy all the parts and diy. But I'm pretty sure some sites put it all together so its plug and play. A guy on here called @Slater is an expert in theese lights..

To be quite honest, I don't think I'll end up going DIY, unless someone can show my or inform me why it would be hella worth it.

To be quite honest, I don't think I'll end up going DIY, unless someone can show my or inform me why it would be hella worth it.

I'm by no means an expert on lighting, but I also have a viparspectra and another blurple mars. They can produce some bud, but my next light I would never buy china light again. Theese strips or qb use the newest technology, which draw less wattage with better par readings/lumens etc.

I'm by no means an expert on lighting, but I also have a viparspectra and another blurple mars. They can produce some bud, but my next light I would never buy china light again. Theese strips or qb use the newest technology, which draw less wattage with better par readings/lumens etc.

That's why I was looking at a OPTIC LED light, but I don't know too much info. Honestly though I had no issues with VIPARSPECTRA, although I feel like I could be getting a bit better PAR for what it's pulling from the wall.

That's why I was looking at a OPTIC LED light, but I don't know too much info. Honestly though I had no issues with VIPARSPECTRA, although I feel like I could be getting a bit better PAR for what it's pulling from the wall.

Seen good results with optic aswell. But the tech is old and not sufficient enough compared to newer technology. I believe qb/strips gives you at least double the amount of light for half the wattage. That alone converts me next time I'm shopping. Then heat, noise etc is also improved

Seen good results with optic aswell. But the tech is old and not sufficient enough compared to newer technology. I believe qb/strips gives you at least double the amount of light for half the wattage. That alone converts me next time I'm shopping. Then heat, noise etc is also improved

No doubt that is the truth, although is there any public information I can read about it? Maybe it'll convert me, just need to be convinced ;)

Check out www.cobshop.net and the Autocob built by user/sponsor BigSm0. I per plant is outstanding. I have 6 of those lights. Low electrical draw (.49 amps), no noise (no fan), low heat throw, small and easy to move around and nearly as bright as the sun. They are kick-ass lights.

Back