Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Day 28 - Junk Dealer's Wedding
Atleast something happened, they definitely reacted albeit seemingly in the wrong manner. Thanks for being the Guinea pig Bob
At least they are recovering fine now bro. Thanks for visiting btw :cheers:
1697041459511 _small.jpg

One advantage is that they didn't stretch very much and I can't say for sure as I treated the whole tent, which wasn't very scientific of me, but flower production is at an all high...
1697041459508 _small.jpg

Everywhere you look there's pistils popping
1697041459505 _small.jpg

The plants are also starting to drink again and this since I treated the plants. So today I gave them a light watering, just to keep the soil at a moist level. Trying hard not to overwater the soil.
1697041459501 _small.jpg

Another 'benefit' of this treatment is/was that the side nodes got more light because the fan leaves were slouching so much. This resulted in them bulking up quite a lot. The glass is half full my friends ;)
1697041459498 _small.jpg

The large pheno lady looks 'mighty' fine. ok, she looks ok. Give 'm another week and the leaves will probably be ok.
1697041459495 _small.jpg

Today's timelapse...we're going to wrestle through some rough times, but the end is looking hopeful...
Speed = 30fps, duration = 56 hours.

Inside the greenhouse the males are looking so much better then the ladies inside the tent.
1697041459492 _small.jpg

And these gents are even experiencing a day/night cycle, but also a warm and cold period. Luckily we're having a sort of warm streak in this region of the world. Day temperatures of 25°C / 77°F are no exception. This weekend though temperatures will plummet by 10°C /18°F, so I went out today and bought some plastic foil. I'll use this to create a tepee around the table so the heatbed won't have to heat the entire greenhouse.
1697041459488 _small.jpg

A nice flower cluster.
1697041459484 _small.jpg

The large pheno male.
1697041459481 _small.jpg

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Day 32 - Junk Dealer's Wedding
First of all, thanks for the rep @DOA & @Antonio_DutchPassion. Always nice to be appreciated :cheers:
Inside the tent everything is back to normal, actually we're kinda ahead on the schedule. If I compare this offspring with how the parents grew.
The CMD x MW parent was also a very quick flowering cultivar, at least 5 days faster then the Mephisto's Wedding alone. It seems that this Bx has the quick genes from that CMD lineage. 👌
1697356519344 _small.jpg

Another surprising effect from the treatment is that the plants start to defoliate themselves. Each visit I find shriveled leaves hanging by a thread on the sides of the plants. Normally I need to pull these leaves myself to create an open structure beneath the plants. The advantage of this method is that the plants first remove the nutrients from these leaves and then use 'm to dump their trash inside, creating what we call senescence. Lovely to see the plants choose the lower to do that with, instead with all the leaves at once.
1697356519340 _small.jpg

I could defoliate more, but the ladies look so healthy and full with flowers, I dare not to go that route. I did raise the light output today with another 5% resulting in a hefty DLI of 26 at the sensor height. Every day I'm raising the output by 5% and keeping an eye on the time lapse I make. If the plants respond well to the extra light, we raise it by another 5% the next day. I feel the plants still can benefit from the extra light hitting them.
1697356519334 _small.jpg

I'm starting to see the benefit of the Ethephon you guys. Look at the amount of pistils forming, combined with the very short internodal spacing between the nodes, these will expand and create one big bud...
1697356519330 _small.jpg

Yum!!
1697356519325 _small.jpg

The large pheno girl. Lookin' nice, right?
1697356519320 _small.jpg

The time lapse shows life "as is" in the tent...Speed = 30fps, duration = 84 hours. Enjoy :thanks:

I was curious at the pistil formation, but for that I need to speed things up. This is just a zoomed in version of the above time lapse.

Regards,

First of all, thanks for the rep @DOA & @Antonio_DutchPassion. Always nice to be appreciated :cheers:
Inside the tent everything is back to normal, actually we're kinda ahead on the schedule. If I compare this offspring with how the parents grew.
The CMD x MW parent was also a very quick flowering cultivar, at least 5 days faster then the Mephisto's Wedding alone. It seems that this Bx has the quick genes from that CMD lineage. 👌
View attachment 1638877

Regards,

Quite a recovery from the shock of just a few days ago....

Quite a recovery from the shock of just a few days ago....
Yes it is my friend!!
Put my buddy on the grill yesterday and I might have been stoned when he first explained it to me...

We used to use it on peppers. Applying Ethephon would give you an explosion of flower production, you only had to spray it on the first row, then the second didn't get any (I'll explain in a minute) and then the third got a treatment again and so on. Why? Well, because Ethephon prevents the formation of male flowers, so while female flower production goes to a maximum, male flower production stops completely.
So that's what my mate wanted me to test out on out beloved ladies as he couldn't get permission to do it at work, but instead of dividing the tent up in a test group and a control group I applied it to all the plants. So the test is invalid, but the results are still there. And it is normal that senescence is showing up so soon and the lower leaves start falling off. The plants remove all the useful nutrients and fill in the empty space with garbage. The fact that the plants just stopped is somewhat normal, but this should have passed in two days. During that period you need to keep the VPD low enough so the plants don't evaporate to much water as nothing will get replaced. I probably gave to high a dose, which stopped the plants for a week. The fact that I kept the VPD stable and "low" enough is why everyone is still alive an kicking.

On another story...I'm just back from the greenhouse and my males had spilled their "beans". So I carefully cut all the branches from the main branch and dusted these off inside the aluminum foil that was surrounding the plants. Then I slowly and carefully wrapped up the foil and marked each package. L for the large pheno male and S for the standard one. Although there was nothing standard about that male. Nice formation, healthy leaves and short internodal spacing. Oh an a nice sweet smell to him, just like some of the girls in the tent...noticed this when I was searching for the males a while ago, some plants emitted a sweet scent when rubbed against the stem, while others smelled green...

Anyway, tonight when everyone is sleeping I'm gonna harvest that pollen from the foil and collect it into small paper pouches. These let moisture through and able me to dry out the pollen before it's transferred to glass vials.
There's more then enough pollen to pollinate the tent ten times over, so when the time's right I'll be pollinating two females on the other side of the house or even outside if the temperature allows for it, because the ladies will have to remain covered with pollen for 24 hours and afterwards get a shower to clean off all remaining pollen before they go back inside the tent to finish off.

Your welcome mate! You definitely deserve some credit for the extensive details you always share with the AFN community!:clapper:
Yum!

The large pheno girl. Lookin' nice, right?
She looks good indeed :thumbsup:nice pistils development, but nothing out of the ordinary (extreme development), right? Shame you don't have a control group indeed! But even then, if you really want to know, you need identical clones from the same mother from photoperiod plants..

Keep it up mate, plants recovering very well still

Day 33 - Junk Dealer's Wedding
Your welcome mate! You definitely deserve some credit for the extensive details you always share with the AFN community!:clapper:

She looks good indeed :thumbsup:nice pistils development, but nothing out of the ordinary (extreme development), right? Shame you don't have a control group indeed! But even then, if you really want to know, you need identical clones from the same mother from photoperiod plants..

Keep it up mate, plants recovering very well still
You are completely correct, that's why testing in a controlled environment is so expensive.
The ladies are doing great indeed. I've been slowly adding more light...currently I'm at 45%. With the colder weather were having this results in a comfortable temperature for the ladies to bask in the sun, but still it could be higher. :shrug:
The VPD is kept between 0.98 and 1.01kPa which is perfectly doable with the extraction between 4 and 5%. And with the extraction at such a low speed, the CO² isn't expelled as much and we have higher values on that ticker... Just the temperature needs to be a bit higher for the plants to benefit from that extra CO².
1697470145407 _small.jpg

Today I gave the plants 2L / 0.5gallon water with 5ml Orgatrex, 5ml Bio PK 5-8 and one teaspoon Bactrex added to it. While doing this I noticed the plants had, again, expelled some leaves which I removed while watering the pots.
1697470145432 _small.jpg

Picture time...These beauties are doing great once more!! And this at 33 days old, they still have some time before they are finished. Curious to find out how long these girls will take, as Sooty Bride took after Coal Miner's Daughter in it's lineage, qua time to finish. But Mephisto's Wedding definitely needs two or three weeks longer for the fast pheno.
So...This being a Bx from Sooty Bride to Mephisto's Wedding, it could go from anything between 65 and 85 days...
1697470145428 _small.jpg

Look at the short internodal distance on this girl. I can only dream how these will close up ranks and fill out on a later stadium. Also, can't complain about all those hairs...
1697470145424 _small.jpg

Mhmmm, focus Bob, focus...
1697470145420 _small.jpg

@St. Tom, if you wanna use this one...Go right ahead my friend :cheers:
1697470145415 _small.jpg

The "large" girl...If she behaves like I'm thinking, she will take her time to finish and will probably be one of the last to get the axe...
1697470145411 _small.jpg

Well...that was it for today peeps. I hope you enjoyed the pictures and my accompanied blabbering. :haha:

Regards,

Day 36 - Junk Dealer's Wedding
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Hey lovelies...Have I got a selection of buds for you to enjoy today....
1697604515218 _small.jpg

My primo lady, ready to be pollinated...What do you think @Sawney_bean? Wait a little longer or go for it?
1697604515213 _small.jpg

Nice set of pompoms aren't they?
1697604515208 _small.jpg

1697604515204 _small.jpg

1697604515199 _small.jpg

1697604515192 _small.jpg

This is the gurl I've picked to pollinate. It's the one in the front left corner of the tent.

Ok, that's actually yesterday's post, but my stoned ass forgot to press save... :coffee2::haha:
Luckily AFN saves your progress in a post... ♥

So this morning I went to the tent to water the ladies. As I've started to pick the first ones out of the tent to make it easier for me to water the hind ones first, I saw this girl. She must be doing the worst of all my plants. Flower production isn't what it should be. Still going to let her run as I have the space and can use the harvest. But this show's there's still a lot of work to weed out these genetics out of the genepool.
1697711446370 _small.jpg

Same girl, but under her skirt...
1697711446365 _small.jpg

The lady beside her is looking very crisp. Flower production is at an proper level and the internodal space is just...mhmmmm. Can you imagine these flower clusters closing up?
1697711446345 _small.jpg

Another fine looking specimen...
1697711446327 _small.jpg

My selected breeder again...grrrrr.....:baked:
1697711446322 _small.jpg

Another example of a not so fine lady...
1697711446316 _small.jpg

And finally the large pheno lady from the left back of the tent.
1697711446302 _small.jpg

To end today's and yesterday's post. The time lapse...Duration = 100 hours, speed = 30fps. Enjoy :thanks:

Regards,

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Hey lovelies...Have I got a selection of buds for you to enjoy today....
View attachment 1639692

My primo lady, ready to be pollinated...What do you think @Sawney_bean? Wait a little longer or go for it?
View attachment 1639693

Nice set of pompoms aren't they?
View attachment 1639694

View attachment 1639695

View attachment 1639696

View attachment 1639697

This is the gurl I've picked to pollinate. It's the one in the front left corner of the tent.
View attachment 1639815

Ok, that's actually yesterday's post, but my stoned ass forgot to press save... :coffee2::haha:
Luckily AFN saves your progress in a post... ♥

So this morning I went to the tent to water the ladies. As I've started to pick the first ones out of the tent to make it easier for me to water the hind ones first, I saw this girl. She must be doing the worst of all my plants. Flower production isn't what it should be. Still going to let her run as I have the space and can use the harvest. But this show's there's still a lot of work to weed out these genetics out of the genepool.
View attachment 1639816

Same girl, but under her skirt...
View attachment 1639817

The lady beside her is looking very crisp. Flower production is at an proper level and the internodal space is just...mhmmmm. Can you imagine these flower clusters closing up?
View attachment 1639818

Another fine looking specimen...
View attachment 1639819

My selected breeder again...grrrrr.....:baked:
View attachment 1639820

Another example of a not so fine lady...
View attachment 1639821

And finally the large pheno lady from the left back of the tent.
View attachment 1639822

To end today's and yesterday's post. The time lapse...Duration = 100 hours, speed = 30fps. Enjoy :thanks:
View attachment 1639826

Regards,

I always pollinate on the first sign of orange pistols. I think you can wait a few days buddy 😉

Back