Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Hey Wannabreeders :welcome:

When I went to check the seedmothers who were drying in the tent I noticed the buds from the Mephisto's Wedding where dry...Dry to a crisp as they say. To dry to smoke, but perfect for harvesting seeds...
I rubbed all the buds between my hands until they where dust. Then started to remove the seeds with a pair of tweezers...but that took too long!! :coffee2:
View attachment 1621343

As you can see...the seeds are packed in the crumbly mess...
View attachment 1621344

I then folded the paper to transfer it outside. There, with the help of the tweezers and a light puff of breath. I blew the lighter pulp away and what I was left with where these... A lot better, no?
View attachment 1621345

After moving the seeds side to side, I was able to transfer them to another piece of printer paper. :lildab:
I wanted to count the seeds, but remembered the sorting issue above and went a bit high tech...
View attachment 1621346

There's an app for Android, which can count things in a picture... What people come up with no?
So, I have...Almost 500 seeds from this Wedding Bx Sooty Bride (regular auto). Enough to play with in the coming weeks... :pop:
View attachment 1621347

And play with them I will. Next run inside the tent will be another SOG grow...Sixteen 3.5L pots filled with BioTabs amended soil and one BioTab per pot.
Each pot will receive three seedlings. Which will give me a good chance to find a nice male and a couple of nice females. :woody::dancer::dancer:
Irma Gurd! That's a great idea! I was thinking about weighing 10 seeds then weighing them all and extrapolating but I'd much rather use an app

Irma Gurd! That's a great idea! I was thinking about weighing 10 seeds then weighing them all and extrapolating but I'd much rather use an app
I used this app. ⬇️
Inside the app you can select a template on which the program bases it's selection. I used the 'Mung Bean Seeds' template and it recognized all the seeds separately. You do have to spread them out evenly and definitely not have seeds lying on top of one another :cheers:
1691229151645 _small.jpg

Seed harvest - (Double Grape x Toof Decay) x Sooty Bride (Mephisto's Wedding x Coal Miner's Daughter)
Hey guys!! :toke:

Harvested another seed mother today. This time the Double Grape x Toof Decay from Mephisto was grinded down to dust between my hands. :coffee:
The counting app said 217 seeds, but I saw it checked a shadow two times, so 215 seeds. Not bad...not bad at all!!! :hump:
1691251441836 _small.jpg

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Mate , it is great what you are doing , I don't have time to breed myself , but I am sure what you have been posting will help someone that want's to give it a go . It is the laymen's terms that make to easier to understand . :clapper::clapper::clapper::vibe:

Mate , it is great what you are doing , I don't have time to breed myself , but I am sure what you have been posting will help someone that want's to give it a go . It is the laymen's terms that make to easier to understand . :clapper::clapper::clapper::vibe:
I had some accidental crosses. I am no breeder, but the shit worked and I have viable seeds to run = top of the bean universe. Since they were not picked from a lot i consider it a ‘pollen chucking’ or ‘Seed/Breed Run’.. but i do get to run the progeny(s) and taste that avenue the breeders run down when chasing that “Thing” they are after…

Bob has been holding down the greenhouse grow loke a champ, despite her heavy taxation! Senior Bob presses on. Cheers.

Hey Wannabreeders :welcome:

When I went to check the seedmothers who were drying in the tent I noticed the buds from the Mephisto's Wedding where dry...Dry to a crisp as they say. To dry to smoke, but perfect for harvesting seeds...
I rubbed all the buds between my hands until they where dust. Then started to remove the seeds with a pair of tweezers...but that took too long!! :coffee2:
View attachment 1621343

As you can see...the seeds are packed in the crumbly mess...
View attachment 1621344

I then folded the paper to transfer it outside. There, with the help of the tweezers and a light puff of breath. I blew the lighter pulp away and what I was left with where these... A lot better, no?
View attachment 1621345

After moving the seeds side to side, I was able to transfer them to another piece of printer paper. :lildab:
I wanted to count the seeds, but remembered the sorting issue above and went a bit high tech...
View attachment 1621346

There's an app for Android, which can count things in a picture... What people come up with no?
So, I have...Almost 500 seeds from this Wedding Bx Sooty Bride (regular auto). Enough to play with in the coming weeks... :pop:
View attachment 1621347

And play with them I will. Next run inside the tent will be another SOG grow...Sixteen 3.5L pots filled with BioTabs amended soil and one BioTab per pot.
Each pot will receive three seedlings. Which will give me a good chance to find a nice male and a couple of nice females. :woody::dancer::dancer:
Indeed mate, in todays world its not about asking yourself if someone already came up with it, but where to find it...
Funny app, does this go to an unlimited amount of counting stuff in a picture?
Hey guys!! :toke:

Harvested another seed mother today. This time the Double Grape x Toof Decay from Mephisto was grinded down to dust between my hands. :coffee:
The counting app said 217 seeds, but I saw it checked a shadow two times, so 215 seeds. Not bad...not bad at all!!! :hump:
View attachment 1621503

Regards,

Bob :toke:
Well done my friend, really healthy looking seeds:thumbsup: (from both runs).
Not a bad haul either.. hope you'll find gold in these beans!

Funny app, does this go to an unlimited amount of counting stuff in a picture?
Don't know. I do know that it depends on which template you use which influences the results.

Last edited:
Seed harvest - Sooty Bride (Mephisto's Wedding x Coal Miner's Daughter) x (Mephisto's Wedding x Forum Stomper)
Hey friends :cheers:

Today it was time to shut down the tent. Everything was dry, so I went to work, just after I came home from work. :yay:
Not goin to bother you with the process of seperating the seeds from the pulp and just going to show the results.

This seed mother didn't make a lot of viable seeds. There were a lot of seeds, but most where not viable. --> I always do the finger press test on each seed that seems off. Most of the defected seeds have been removed because of the sepperation process. The white or small seeds are empty and defoid of water. So they are a fair bit lighter then the viable seeds. The rest will pass through my eye, with the help of a light enhanced loupe.
Anyway, I digress...
1691524769086 _small.jpg

The Count Things app did it again. 79 seeds. Not as good as the 500 from the Bx, but still better then my best from last season :thumbsup:
Anyway, some cultivars don't like to produce seeds unlike others, so still 79, will give me a nice base to start with.
1691524769077 _small.jpg

Back