Grow Mediums Attempting 2nd Grow for the 4th time :)

It all looks very good my friend. I have had my airline come off a few times also with no harm. The leaves got rather droopy one time but the plant recovered just fine.
At this stage of the plants life, I think they enjoy a good spray down with a foliar feed, when doing a water change I also spray down the roots.
Thank you I appreciate someone following.

Day 13
Temp average 79
Humidity 30
Ph unknown
Res 74f
PPM's still the same at 400 kind of weird since I've lost about a quarter gallon
[starting ppm from seed. 220 nutes 180 calmag]

So I'm just a little worried I would assume the roots would be bigger and they are getting more brown stuff. Hopefully ItS just nute buildup. I'm still thinking Sunday morning about dumping res doing straight ro with clear res and then a few hours later dumping that and adding a new batch of nutes and hydroguard st 300ppm nutes 200ppm calmag. I see a little bit of yellow on the first set of LeAves not sure why I would be getting that. Like I said ppms haven't dropped since day 1
20160408_104331.jpg
20160408_104817.jpg
20160408_104802.jpg
20160408_104433.jpg

Last edited:
Check out roots and tell me what you think
Leave her alone

Double dose hydroguard

Homemade clear rez for a week then reintroduce hydroguard

Or buy tetra pond sludge remover and add a teaspoon and a half every 5 days

Hey Mr Train,
I think your plant looks reasonable for two weeks old, I see the brown color on the roots you are concerned about, but I also see fresh little hairs and new growth in those roots. I think the roots look plenty big for their age. It would not hurt to put them in fresh untreated water for an hour or so during your next water change, might rinse some of that brown off. Speaking of water, what kind of water are you using? I have the luxury of very good well water so I'm not familiar with dealing with water problems but I'm sure it can create difficulties.
I have dealt with the nasty brown slime--pythium one time. I basically followed the 8 step recuperation described in the stickies above and it worked ok, it was a pain in the but tho. I have not used hydro gaurd but I do use other products by botanicare (PH up and down, and Karma) that I really like. I put several drops of Orca in every water change and have not had any root problems since I started using it.
Growing weed teaches us all patience, I seldom do anything to my plants without thinking about it for a few days. I think your plant is chugging right along and in a couple weeks you will be pleased with the growth. I will be following along hoping for the best.
Happy growing--Gurgler

Hey Mr Train,
I think your plant looks reasonable for two weeks old, I see the brown color on the roots you are concerned about, but I also see fresh little hairs and new growth in those roots. I think the roots look plenty big for their age. It would not hurt to put them in fresh untreated water for an hour or so during your next water change, might rinse some of that brown off. Speaking of water, what kind of water are you using? I have the luxury of very good well water so I'm not familiar with dealing with water problems but I'm sure it can create difficulties.
I have dealt with the nasty brown slime--pythium one time. I basically followed the 8 step recuperation described in the stickies above and it worked ok, it was a pain in the but tho. I have not used hydro gaurd but I do use other products by botanicare (PH up and down, and Karma) that I really like. I put several drops of Orca in every water change and have not had any root problems since I started using it.
Growing weed teaches us all patience, I seldom do anything to my plants without thinking about it for a few days. I think your plant is chugging right along and in a couple weeks you will be pleased with the growth. I will be following along hoping for the best.
Happy growing--Gurgler

Day 15
Did a complete rez change. Noticed Dark brown spots on the roots looked like what my nutes look like when they settle so i assume its just build up. Sprayed the roots with a spray bottle and it all fell off
Temp 79 on 66 off
Humidity 39 on 47 off
Rez temp 71 high 65 low
Complete PPM BREAKDOWN (amounts per gallon) 3 Gallon total
320ppm Nova Grow
180ppm Calimagic
10ppm Hydroguard (2ml)
60ppm Rapidstart (2.5ml
Ph dropped to 4.8 upped to 5.8
10ppm of Diamond Nectar (2ml)
0 ppm Pondzyme (1/4)
Most people do 1/16th teaspoon per gallon which is 0.19 Teaspoon. I did 1/4 for all 3 gallon which is .25 teaspoon for all 3
Total ppm 580-590
Lets see what happens guys

Here she is currently
Day 15 (1).jpg
Day 15 (3).jpg

Here is day 10 to day 15
Day 15 (2).jpg

Day 16
Temp 77 high 66 low
Humidity 50 high 35 low
Rez temp 71
Ph 5.9
Ppm 560 (down 30)
I'm not freaking out. When I looKed at the Root, I thought She was in trouble. I see dark patchester everywhere. I took a spray bottle and sprayed them down with res water and it seemed to spray off.is this rot am I screwed....or just nute buildup. Otherwise she looks healthy no spots rez smells like plastic/fresh fish tank
20160411_235204.jpg
20160411_234854.jpg
20160411_234839.jpg
20160411_235805.jpg

IS ANYONE READING THIS LOL
Day 17
Temp high 90 66 low Average 76
Humidity high 47 23 low Average 36
Rez temp 74
Ph 5.9 (holding)
Ppm Was 590 went down yesterday to 570 today is 580 I have slight SLIGHT tip burn so i think i'm right at her max level going to leave it here for now

I'M AN IDIOT so for the past few days I couldn't figure out why my temperature has been in the higher 70's and low 80's. When i put my hand over the blow side of my fan i was barely getting anything. when i detached my carbon filter the Blowing power tripled. I took off my Prefilter and attached the Filter back on and still had suction but when the prefilter was added i lost power. SO i took her outside and beat the hell out of her for 20 minutes getting GIANT clouds of smoke. When i put her back on blowing power was good. SO apparently my filter needed to be cleaned. NOW the temp was holding at 77 currently after 30 minutes of being cleaned she is down to 70......so YAY im excited maybe my damn temps will be lower. Anyway here's pics First picture is slightly burnt tips 2nd is the taproot. The 3rd is another shot of the tips and the 4th is the whole plant
Day 17 (1).jpg
Day 17 (2).jpg
Day 17 (3).jpg
Day 17 (4).jpg

Looking good!
I wouldn't worry about the brown patches I have some on my girls and I have put it down to nutrient stain. As long as you can see white new growth and if you look closely it's not a mush and you can see the individual strands and it doesn't smell you will be OK.

Hi Jtrain, very good catch on the temps and prefilter. My prefilter looks rather dirty I'm thinking my airflow needs to be checked as well. I've already said what I think of the brown patched and I'm glad to hear a second opinion, {thanks Wynnyin.} Your plant looks quite healthy and I think you are doing a good job. I am following your daily reports with interest and best wishes although I might not always have something to say.
Keep up the good work--Gurgler

Looking good!
I wouldn't worry about the brown patches I have some on my girls and I have put it down to nutrient stain. As long as you can see white new growth and if you look closely it's not a mush and you can see the individual strands and it doesn't smell you will be OK.

Hi Jtrain, very good catch on the temps and prefilter. My prefilter looks rather dirty I'm thinking my airflow needs to be checked as well. I've already said what I think of the brown patched and I'm glad to hear a second opinion, {thanks Wynnyin.} Your plant looks quite healthy and I think you are doing a good job. I am following your daily reports with interest and best wishes although I might not always have something to say.
Keep up the good work--Gurgler
Thanks guys

Day 18
Temp High 75 Low 63 Now 73(much better)
Humidity High 45 Low 29 Now 35
Rez Temp 68 all day
PH 6.0 ----PH down to 5.8
PPM 550 ------Im thinking Tomorrow i should

up the PPM to 600 using base nutes??? I'm actually not sure how to add. Do I drain a gallon and add back in the same amounts except add more grow or so I just drain a little bit and add another ml of grow only I'm confused on how to make the mix stronger properly

Anyone know if you add Hydroguard once a week regardless or only when i add new water? I know with Pondzyme i add it every 3-5 days wasnt sure about Hydroguard. So everthing seemed great today was pleased with the temps and everything.

Heres some pics
Day 18 (1).jpg
Day 18 (2).jpg
Day 18 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Back