Grow Mediums Attempting 2nd Grow for the 4th time :)

jtrain252

Reaction score
This is my first time on this forum, so bear with me if i do something im not allowed. So I am not seasoned at all when it comes to growing. I have finished 1 grow in Dirt that was 4 plants with 4 oz see here----->My First try Basic Overview is Fox farm Dirt/Fox farm nutes/ 4 pyramid autos/ Running Fox farms Nute schedule at Full dose. NO ph meter or ppm meter using Tap water 4 plants 4 oz

Now i have attempted hydro 3 times and failed 3 times. The first 1 the rockwool cube dried and klilled seedling The 2nd failure i got bad rot due to the rockwool cube being TOO wet like 3 weeks straight (top feeding/water too high. The last grow i stressed her by using too many nutes and not stayig vigil she burned she got deficient then poof i decided to end her. SO this one will work no matter what i do.

My set up
Jardin DR60II 2ftx2ftx5ft
Ebay 600 Watt LED (300 True watts) 3watt per led
4 inch vortex fan that pulls air from outside into the tent then out the tent into the room via Carbon filter
1 4 inch fan 1 9 inch floor fan
1 vicks cold air humidifier
Ebay PH pen, Bluelab ppm Pen, PH up and down, General Hydroponic Flora Nova Grow and Bloom, Diamond Nectar, Liquid Koolbloom, Calimagic, Hydroguard.
Planted Day 1 (1).jpg Planted Day 1 (2).jpg Planted Day 1 (4).jpg Planted Day 1 (6).jpg Planted Day 1 (7).jpg Planted Day 1 (8).jpg Planted Day 1 (9).jpg

Right now I have a 5 gallon bucket filled with 4 gallons of water. The bucket is wrapped in HVAC tape. Water level is 1inch above the net pot. Im using a Rhizocore Netpot that i cut the bottom to make the hole bigger.Untitled.png ( i have the 6inch) i cut out a bigger hole in that middle tower were the rockwool cube goes to allow a larger tap root. 1inch Rockwool Cube. The seed is TH BubbleGum Auto I germinated in a paper towel for 2 days
Root looks like this. Planted Day 1 (3).jpg Seed was planted a little below 1/4in and covered after the rockwool was wet. Now because she is an autoflower i am going to start her off with 1/4 strength nutes as to try and not burn or delay her at all. The light is 24inches above the pot, Tent gets 80F max with 40percent humidity. At night the tent gets 68F. The water in the bucket will never go below 68F because i have an aquarium heater set at 68 and with the bucket being wrapped the water never seems to go above 72 degrees. I am using RO water that currently is 150ppm of Nova Grow, 2ml per gallon of Hydroguard, 1ml of Diamond Nectar per gallon. Planted Day 1.jpg The PH a week ago i set it at 5.5 and by day 7 its at 6.2 so When the seed was planted i set it back to 5.5 ill be running this from 5.5 to 6.2.
Also i have a 1 gallon ziplock bag that is taped over the netpot/rockwool to create a humidity dome. ill leave that on until the sprout comes through

I will be documenting almost EVERY day and trying to stay ontop of everything. This is General Hydros Schedule feed chart.png
SO this is how it is breaking down
ForaNova Grow
Week 1 - Seedling 400/600ppm at 2.5ml per gallon of grow and 5ml of Diamond Nectar
Im running 150ppm at 0.625ppm per gallon of Grow and 1ml of Diamond Nectar.
When she gets 3 leaves i will add 2.5ml of Calimagic and up the nutes to 1.25ml of grow

Any Suggestions any help any notes would be greatly Appreciated

Attachments

• Planted Day 1 (5).jpg
    Planted Day 1 (5).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Day 2
Seed still in rockwool temps are 78 degrees water temp is 70 degrees. Ph is 6.0. And humidity is 50 Should be up by sunday

Day 3
Check my water temperature is 67 degrees seed still hasn't popped above ground yet but I have a feeling by tomorrow well I did check the PPM of the water and it went from 150 to 180 which I think is a little strange since there's nothing in the water so I'll check on that tomorrow maybe the solution hadn't settled when I checked it

Day 4(Day 1 above ground)

She it popped up still slightly bent over im assuming in the next few hours she should straighten. Rockwool still wet waiting for Roots to go into net pot so i can lower the water so it doesnt stay wet all the time. Im going to be running Half strength GH schedule i decided over the weekend. SO Grow nutes at 360ppm which is 1.25ml of Grow per gallon instead of 2.5ml
Temps is 67 in the waterr 75 in the tent with 46 percent humidity.

Day 1  (1).jpg Day 1  (2).jpg

Day 2 above ground
She has opened up a little more. Temps are steady at 73f with hunidity at 46. No taproot out the bottom of the cube. I lowered water level from 4 gallons to 3.5 gallons because the bubbles were keeping the rockwool soaked. Hoping by Wed or Thursday that the taproot shoots through.20160328_084336.jpg 20160328_084341.jpg 20160328_084245.jpg

So 5 hours have gone by and I noticed first set of LeAves have some brown tips
Apparently half strength nutes are too strong so I went from 360ppm to 230 ppm rewet/flushed rockwool with the new dose at 5.6ph....I guess I won't know if she is still burning until the 2nd set of leaves comes through
Full dose of nutes according to gh is 2.5ml per gallon which comes out to about 720ppm ....so right now I'm at 32% seedling strength. Updated to follow
20160328_145017.jpg

Last edited:
So my Rapid Start came today-------------Anyone Viewing this know if i should apply it to the Rez and the rockwool or just the rez?

Day 3

Temp High 81 Low 67 Average 77
Humidity High 49 Low 30 Average 36
Rez Temp 67-70 Holding at 71
Ppm 250 Total 240 Grow 10 Rapid Start
Ph 5.8

So sprout looks a little bigger. The light is about 21 inches away

Mthe bubbles from the airstone are saturating the rockwool and I have the water level at the bottom of the net pot may have to take some more water away don't want to drown her.

Anyway comments and suggestions welcome 20160329_231307.jpg 20160329_231239.jpg 20160329_231232.jpg

Last edited:
hi jtrain,
Looks like you've been studying the craft and are off to an excellent start. In a few days the roots should hit the water and the plant will take off.
I do the netpot a little different, I fill the basket with clay balls or grow stones almost to the top then put the rockwool cube in and fill the rest of the pot with more clay balls. The top of the rockwool is even with the top of the netpot. I cover the netpot with reflective foil (a hole for the seedling) so no light can get into the resevoir. I then fill the bucket with nutrient solution about a half inch below the netpot. Once or twice a day until the roots hit the water, I scoop a shotglass of water from the res and pour a little on the rockwool.
Good luck and happy growing==gurgler

Day 4
Temp: High 81f low 67f Average is 79f
Humidity High 46 Low 29 Average 34
Rez Temp 69-72 Holding right now at 72
Ppm Was 250 yesterday today shes 230 ill wait till friday see if it keeps going down Then ill up it to 300ppm. By sunday ill be adding some calmag at 2.5ml
20160330_192053.jpg
20160330_192149.jpg

Last edited:
Day 5
Temp High 84 low 72 Average 82
Humidity High 47 Low 23 Average 33
Rez Temp High 76 Low 69 Average 75 (warm weather today and tomorrow)
Ppm still 250

So no real leaf growth I guess but the roots seem to be taking off. I'm excited to see how the next few days goes. :)Day 5 (1).jpg Day 5 (2).jpg Day 5 (3).jpg Day 5 (4).jpg

Back