Yields growing organic vs synthetic

Reaction score
I've grown autos a handful of times. Still very much a beginner. I started paying attention to soil health and using organic nutrients the last few grows. I grow mostly indoors in 5 gal fabric pots, under a couple 1000watt mars hydros in a 5x5x7. Soil is peet with about 30% compost, a bunch of perlite, amended with blood meal, bat guano, rock phosphate, sardines and kelp meal. I harvest rain water and filter it through activated carbon. For liquid nutrients, I've been using compost tea and different emulsions formulated for N, P and K.

It's a small environment, but the girls look happy and smell amazing. They just a little small lol.

I tend to expect oz or so per plant which is fine for my purposes, but from what I've read I could be getting 3-5 times that much. I noticed when I started using organics and ditched the synthetic fertilizers, my plants were finishing smaller. But the buds have been noticeably denser and are just better quality both in taste, terps and everything. So I haven't complained.

I guess max yield isn't my top priority. But I also know people are getting far more yield than I have been, and it's still med quality flower. So do I need to go back to fox farm stuff and dial that in? Lol that just doesn't feel right. It's occurred to me that bigger yields just might require more than these little 5 gallon pots. I don't know. I just want more bud haha.

If you had a 5x5x7 with 2 1000 watt mars hydro lights, wanted to stay organic and maximize yield on your next grow, what would you do?
Bigger pots? More light? Maybe better genetics? Maybe my soil just isn't there yet? I plan on adding azomite and biochar in the greenhouse this coming season, but haven't gotten there yet. Any insight is much appreciated.

@rxcknrxll :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome: Don't want much do we? :rofl:

First off There is absolutely no difference in the ion nutrients a plant uptakes between salt based fertilizer or organics. The difference is that organics lets the microbes do the feeding instead of the farmer and they are very good at it.

Genetics is number one, followed by the lights and then the pot size and your skill level in farming for improving yield.

If you are talking about the The Mars Hydro TS1000 (150 watts) is good for about 4 square feet in flower. You are talking about 25 sq. ft. so the math says 6 TS1000s for that space. To the best of my knowledge Mars Hydro does not make a 1000 watt fixture. They do have some lights that would work in your space but I would look around in that price range.

For your soil formula I would look at Buildasoil.com for ideas on a well balanced formula.

If you want to grow a water only plant you should use 7 gallon pots. 5 gallons might make it but that is a close call.

Rain water can be more problematic than tap water. If you live where the air is pristine and hundreds of miles from a city, industry or freeway maybe your rain water is ok? If your tap/well water has problems then get an RO system. It is important to know what is actually in your starting water.

Any growing style can be a winner when you have mastered that style. You are off to a good start by logging in here.

:goodluck:

@rxcknrxll :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome: Don't want much do we? :rofl:

First off There is absolutely no difference in the ion nutrients a plant uptakes between salt based fertilizer or organics. The difference is that organics lets the microbes do the feeding instead of the farmer and they are very good at it.

Genetics is number one, followed by the lights and then the pot size and your skill level in farming for improving yield.

If you are talking about the The Mars Hydro TS1000 (150 watts) is good for about 4 square feet in flower. You are talking about 25 sq. ft. so the math says 6 TS1000s for that space. To the best of my knowledge Mars Hydro does not make a 1000 watt fixture. They do have some lights that would work in your space but I would look around in that price range.

For your soil formula I would look at Buildasoil.com for ideas on a well balanced formula.

If you want to grow a water only plant you should use 7 gallon pots. 5 gallons might make it but that is a close call.

Rain water can be more problematic than tap water. If you live where the air is pristine and hundreds of miles from a city, industry or freeway maybe your rain water is ok? If your tap/well water has problems then get an RO system. It is important to know what is actually in your starting water.

Any growing style can be a winner when you have mastered that style. You are off to a good start by logging in here.

:goodluck:
Really appreciate the great feedback. Yes you're correct on the lights, I was referring to the ts1000...indeed not a 1000 watt appliance. Sounds like I could stand to significantly ramp things up in the lighting department. At least that's an easy fix.

I'm definitely near the city, but the tds on this rainwater is 20 while the tap is damn near 500. I've considered an RO system and agree that consistent quality water is surely a key factor.

Thanks so much for the confirmation on increasing from 5 gal and also for the buildasoil.com recommendation. Getting everything together for the next round in a couple weeks, excited to get to work.

I've definitely noticed there's a lot of experience and talent on this forum. Thanks again.

:yeahthat:

I am having better results in 7 gallon pots than 5 with my water only living soil grows FWIW. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Hey there!

As mentioned above, more light and you will get better yields. Also pay attention to strain descriptions when selecting seeds. Look for longer flowering times. Some strains are advertised as XXL. Most descriptions will also have and approximate yield to compare.

Good luck growing! :growing::smokeit::toke:

Hey there!

As mentioned above, more light and you will get better yields. Also pay attention to strain descriptions when selecting seeds. Look for longer flowering times. Some strains are advertised as XXL. Most descriptions will also have and approximate yield to compare.

Good luck growing! :growing::smokeit::toke:
Yes the approximate yield is something I've taken into account, but I usually show up at about a third of the that or less haha. I'm seeing these girls can handle way more photons. I'm thinking that tripling my lighting rig will increase heat sufficiently that I'll need to adjust ventilation more. A balancing act I suppose.

I'm not looking for max yield beyond anything else. I tend to pick plants that work for me and taste amazing as opposed to just focusing on yield. However if I have a plant that says 400g/m2 and I'm getting 150, perhaps I could improve their environment and get more bang for the buck. I really appreciate the help, this has turned out to be a far more rewarding endeavor than I ever thought.

I am having better results in 7 gallon pots than 5 with my water only living soil grows FWIW. IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Right on I had 15's on hand prior to this current grow, but they were too big for the tent so I stuck with the 5 gal. I'll bump it up to 7 for sure. Combined with more light and better soil, things should be moving in the right direction.

Back