Yellow tips, blotchy yellow spots - Nutes, light, or fungus?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So first of all, some info:

• 3.9gal / 14L autopots, 4 of them, and 12gal / 47L Reservoir
  • Coco / Perlite 60/40
  • Canna Coco A+B, Canna Calmag Agent, Grow Genius MSA (Sometimes)
  • 75% RO / 25% tapwater, my tapwater itself is too unstable, heavy PH problems, so mixing with RO
  • Speedrunseeds Acid Snow & Granite Haze F5 autos, early flower, stretch almost over
  • MarsHydro FC6500-EVO @ 60% intensity, around 25 inches above the canopy, around 500PPFD @ 24/0 cycle
  • Apera PH60, fully calibrated, Milwaukee Instruments EC Pen
  • EC currently at 1.9, PH at 5.65 in the reservoir to avoid the heavy PH spike until it reaches the roots
  • Exhaust fan, oscillating fans, everything running normally
  • Temps around 76-79°F / 24-26°C, humidity 65-70% (Can't fix this currently)

Nutrient mixture:

• 75% RO Water + 25% Tapwater, giving me a base EC of 0.1
  • I then add Calmag until I hit 0.6EC, as otherwise they will show severe mag deficiencies
  • After this, Canna A+B until I reach 1.8EC (2EC before)
  • PH to 5.65 in the reservoir, let it float between 5.60 and 5.70
  • Wavemaker running 4 times a day, 15 minutes each time

One out of the 4 plants has these problems, all others are 100% healthy, just some very light tip burn here and there with the typical brown-ish tips. Here is a general view into my 4x4 / 120x120 tent with the 4 autos:

20240726_201851.jpg

The troublemaker is the plant on the front right. As of ~3 weeks ago, it started growing out with bright yellow tips. They do not turn brown or crispy, they keep being yellow, and the yellowing slowly spreads in a very weird way. Sometimes it become more and more yellow, spreading downwards, other leaves turn a blotchy yellow for some reason, I've never seen this.

What I have also noticed - All other plants seem to have more "sturdy" leaves. They just feel steady, thick, and strong. This plant with the yellow tips looks fine, but whenever I touch this plant, the leaves seem way too "soft" for some reason, there is no stability inside of them. The other plants leaves are like cardboard, while the leaves on this plant feel like toilet paper. Very soft, wobbly, but generally healthy looking and NOT droopy. it's weird!

Here are a few examples of the early symptoms:

20240726_150940.jpg

As you can see, no crispiness, they just keep being yellow, and it "spreads" downwards onto the leaf material. Some leaves less, some more. This apparently only happens on the top canopy, so in my mind it might've been light burn / stress, but I already lowered the PPFD to around 400 which is rather low, even at 24/0, and it kept spreading more and more over the span of a whole week. I also lowered EC from 2 to 1.8, but nothing changes.

Here is the strange damage they all get in the top 25% of the canopy:

20240726_155920.jpg
20240726_155931.jpg
20240726_155942.jpg

What am I dealing with here? I know that this doesn't seem too bad. Problem is that I'm transitioning into flower now, and dead foliage means dead foliage, no new stuff will grow anymore. I want to make sure that I know what all of this is about, so I can fix this in case of an emergency. I am clueless, I've had my fair share of problems over the years, but this one is new to me.

FYI - I cannot really measure runoff, as I do not topwater these, they have been bottom-fed for 30+ days now, and are all around 42-46 days old. If I topwater, the EC will shoot through the roof inside the pots, it is what it is with these bottom-fed autopots.

Last edited:
I always had problems with autopots during the transition into flower with coco. You can cut the rez off and take the plants out and top water with feed from your rez. That will let you check your runoff. You can also cut the rez, pull the plants out, put them over a bucket and flush with fresh feed. It takes a lot more to flush then you'd think. But you can flush until your runoff EC matches your input. Autopots with coco seem to veg great, but there's always an imbalance once they start to flower

Not familiar with Autopots....... I run an Aircube system and ph between 5.8 to 6.2. It tends to stabilize at 6.0 by itself. Long time soil grower only on my second hydro grow but 5.6 seems low?
Calcium, phosphorous, and mag need around 6.0 to become available for uptake.

Last edited:
Not familiar with Autopots....... I run an Aircube system and ph between 5.8 to 6.2. It tends to stabilize at 6.0 by itself. Long time soil grower only on my second hydro grow but 5.6 seems low?
Calcium, phosphorous, and mag need around 6.0 to become available for uptake.

Yeah I always thought 5.6 seems low too, but that's the funky part about autopots - It changes. I keep the reservoir at 5.6-5.7, 100% stable all the time. I rarely let it go to 5.8 for a change.

But if you check the autopot bases, meaning the bowls these pots sit in, the PH is already at 5.9-6.0 in most cases. I don't know why or how, but the PH changes severely from reservoir to autopot base. I imagine the PH inside the substrate is probably at around 6-6.1, which still seems fine. I just checked yesterday before a res change, and my PH in every base was at around 5.95-5.99

I lowered my light input a lot these past days, but these problems still keep appearing. I'm really thinking about flushing this plant, but I know how annoying it is to get runoff out of these pots. Any tricks from someone who did this already?

I’m about to try Autopots for the first time in coco with one plant, the sprout is just a few days old so I have no hands on experience with it yet. However it’s my understanding that you should never top feed while using them. Bottom feeding has pushed the salts to the top where they do no damage and as soon as you top feed once you’ll push the salts down which is toxic for the roots. As for the yellowing leaves and the softness it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s because the lighting isn’t strong enough. Really wish I knew more, I hope to learn something through your grow. Good luck!

. Any tricks from someone who did this already

Two ways have a shop vac ready and suck the water out of trays as soon as your start flushing or remove plants from trays and flush over sink or bucket that’s what I did.

topwater, the EC will shoot through the roof inside the pots, it is what it is with these bottom-fed autopots.
You’re probably seeing the salt line getting flushed out which is why the EC spikes. When I did autopots and coco very short term I did a weekly top water/flush to wash the salt line out of the pots which happens with the top half of the pots drying out from bottom feeding

I’m about to try Autopots for the first time in coco with one plant, the sprout is just a few days old so I have no hands on experience with it yet. However it’s my understanding that you should never top feed while using them. Bottom feeding has pushed the salts to the top where they do no damage and as soon as you top feed once you’ll push the salts down which is toxic for the roots. As for the yellowing leaves and the softness it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s because the lighting isn’t strong enough. Really wish I knew more, I hope to learn something through your grow. Good luck!

Yes, topfeeding is a no-go for these, which is why I'm in the predicament of flushing or not.

Now I got 2 opinions though - Not enough light, and too much light. I am confused and don't know what to do now.

5.8-6.2 is the preferred ph range for coco you might be keeping the ph a bit low

I understand, but if I keep the PH at 5.8 in the reservoir, it will be at 6.2 already in the autopot trays. If I keep it at 5.6-5.7, it comes out at 5.9 in the trays, which seems fine or not? I imagine the important role is what PH comes into the trays, so I always kept it at 5.6 as recommended by all autopot users who do coco. It's my first run with these things, so I just followed general advice

Two ways have a shop vac ready and suck the water out of trays as soon as your start flushing or remove plants from trays and flush over sink or bucket that’s what I did.

Did your runoff come out normally? I had to topwater them in the beginning until rinoff a few times after transplant, and it was insanely hard to get any kind of runoff from these pots. I do have airbases which might be the cause. It took ages until all the water fully came out the bottom again, I hated it. That's what scares me about doing a "flower flush" before they hit full bulking stage

But if you check the autopot bases, meaning the bowls these pots sit in, the PH is already at 5.9-6.0 in most cases. I don't know why or how, but the PH changes severely from reservoir to autopot base. I imagine the PH inside the substrate is probably at around 6-6.1, which still seems fine. I just checked yesterday before a res change, and my PH in every base was at around 5.95-5.99
Just out of curiosity, have you checked EC in the autopot bases or just pH?

Back