Photoperiod Where am I losing flavor/aroma/terpenes?

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Big Buddha cheese, candy land, pineapple afghani
Grew some Green Crack fem seeds from Cali Connection. Chopped them down and hung for 6 days til the outside of bud just became dry. Trimmed, then placed in mason jars with Bodeva 62s, burping daily for a week, then less often.

While I burp the first few days, bud smells good. Overtime, however, bud seems to not smell so much and has a bland flavor. The potency is not affected, but I’m wondering how I’m losing all the terps...

Any ideas?

Grew some Green Crack fem seeds from Cali Connection. Chopped them down and hung for 6 days til the outside of bud just became dry. Trimmed, then placed in mason jars with Bodeva 62s, burping daily for a week, then less often.

While I burp the first few days, bud smells good. Overtime, however, bud seems to not smell so much and has a bland flavor. The potency is not affected, but I’m wondering how I’m losing all the terps...

Any ideas?

I've been reading a lot about the paper bag dry/cure method if you're interested in that. My buddy can't hang dry so I had to help him figure something else out. I have found that a lot of people are saying that the paper bag can help keep the smell and taste as if the nug has been jar cured for 3 weeks already. I found it quite interesting but I haven't done it myself.

My buddy is trying it so I will come back and let you know what happens!

I've never had an issue with hang drying besides sometimes getting a hay smell but supposedly with a long jar cure you can get rid of that UNLESS you dry too quickly.

Any ideas?

Honestly? I am gonna say the bovedas. Sorry Boveda!

I used to use them all the time and had the same issues. Smelled good on plant, awesome when chopped, and downhill from there. I think the bovedas suck out smell / taste somehow. Smell more so.

Last 4 plants I have hung on whole branches for 5 days or so (trimmed), then take the buds off the branches and put between brown paper sheets in a cardboard box with holes in for two days, and then straight into jars when still a little flexible and not crispy. Watch them and open every day or so. Don't panic. Start smoking after a week.

Has worked every time recently for me, and I'm finally happy with smell and taste.

And I actually prefer the taste and smoking experience of slightly fresh weed, after a week or two in glass is my personal preference. Not when its still green though, gotta get that chlorophyll out.

I think a lot of this drying time is so humidity dependant. Like now RH is 30% here. If I were to hang plants things would go crisp pretty quick. Later in the year I might be looking at 60% RH and yer as per above several days hanging before going to jar I think helps.

But if drying naturally is going to be quick I think keeping long stalks and the paper bag method works best. I remove excess stalk only as it goes into jar (it still has a little moisture at this point) and that's where the Boveda packs work for me too.

Contrary to opinion they do re-hydrate fairly well as long as you don't let them dry out. SO the dry ones go in first then get swapped over for moister ones till everything balances out.

When it comes to terpene retention I think it's very strain specific tbh. Had some gone to jar smelling of hay and come out full of individual terps, and others gone in smellying lovely that came out like hay. Hay Ho.

I've been reading a lot about the paper bag dry/cure method if you're interested in that. My buddy can't hang dry so I had to help him figure something else out. I have found that a lot of people are saying that the paper bag can help keep the smell and taste as if the nug has been jar cured for 3 weeks already. I found it quite interesting but I haven't done it myself.

Ive been growing plants for a long, long time and definitely find the paper bag drying does keep the scents in the weed!!

I hd the same issue. What did it for me was trimming after the plants were dry. It’s more of a pain than wet trimming but the smell and the flavor really sticks out. When the leaves dry they shrink into the bud which also gives you more weight because you aren’t cutting off a lot of the sugar leaves. Also make sure the container is air tight. I use boveda and never seen any taste or smell loss from them.

Ive been growing plants for a long, long time and definitely find the paper bag drying does keep the scents in the weed!!
what do you do with the bags skell hang them stack them on racks with a fan blowing trying to dial in the bag method keep getting differnet results :pass:

what do you do with the bags skell hang them stack them on racks with a fan blowing trying to dial in the bag method keep getting differnet results :pass:

I have to do things a little different than indoor growers due to quantity, but I dry in a single layer in large lawn waste paper bags laid on their side on a rack.

Back