Grow Mediums What Truu knows about Coco

Awesome work! Thanks!

First Post — inspiring read...great info...thank you very much. I have a few questions after reading both the "BHD in CoCo 600w" and "Information on CoCo growing" threads.

Wondering why you shifted away from the individual table and reservoir to a larger table?

Also have you shifted from Recycling Drip System to Drain to Waste?

Any Thoughts on LEDs?

Thanks again
:grat:

Hello neucoyote - good observation. The BHD grow was just my first attempt at growing in coco. I was running DTW at first with it, but as I progressed I decided that it would be easier to make something a little easier for me at the time, so I tried recirculating. Obviously it worked great, and in the future im going to try it again.

I run DTW now with multiple plants in 1 room. So 1 big table and drainage is easier for running this setup. However, I could still run recirculating if I wanted to with this same setup.

LED's? I would love to get my hands on some worth the money. I cant afford them right now, and honestly my HPS's perform good enough for me!

First Post — inspiring read...great info...thank you very much. I have a few questions after reading both the "BHD in CoCo 600w" and "Information on CoCo growing" threads.

Wondering why you shifted away from the individual table and reservoir to a larger table?

Also have you shifted from Recycling Drip System to Drain to Waste?

Any Thoughts on LEDs?

Thanks again
:grat:

Yeah Truu really nailed it!

I just wanted to chime in and say there's a sort of hybrid system between ebb and flow and passive wicking out there called a PPK which can be used to great effect with coco. The basic idea is this:

picture.php

Check out ICMAG and in particular the "big plant ppk" section for specific details, but here's the idea:

-- A "wick", which is basically just a pvc pipe with gutter mesh tied and glued down at the end of it to keep the media contained, extends into a bottom bucket where a constant water level is maintained. The purpose of this wick is just to wick up nutrient solution through the media (a la Autopots).

-- A pulse feed set on a cycle timer occasionally saturates the media with nutrient solution, and it drains back down through that pvc pipe into the bottom bucket.

Don't think you actually need the air holes but they couldn't hurt if you're concerned about root circling. Also, most people over at ICMAG run this w/ Turface or Napa Floor Dry ... it drains much faster and is less prone to clogs, but doesn't wick nearly as well. There are some threads over there in which people using coco don't even bother to saturate the media every once and a while (just use the wicking) and get fantastic results.

Last edited:
So thanks for the quick reply...if I may a few more questions?

At one point in response to question about Airpots you mention not wanting the pots to dry out too quickly because of nutrient expense in believe...I guess this was because at that point you were not recirculating? Or am I missing something else?

And also I’m not sure I’m catching your comments about adding more hydroton to the coco mix, as making it dry out faster so more feedings possible, or that it will hold water so would slow things down so less feedings?

I’ve been thinking that the Growstone recycled glass product might be a good “green’ product to use. It seems to have same kind of drainage characteristics with a higher air porosity than either perlite or Hydroton and it’s water retention is higher as well. Might even be too high and slow down the drying cycle too much though. I’m curious as to your thoughts?

And are you still using this as your nute lineup? - “Dyna-gro is the base lineup I use - Grow, Bloom, Pro-Tekt, Mag-Pro...To that lineup I use a multiple of additives - Cal-mag, Sensizyme, Big Bud, Liquid kool bloom, Powder kool bloom, Root Juice, B Vitamin. I also use H&G Drip clean, and Clearex, they work miracles.”

Also...I can not seem to find "Rad Roots" online...gotta link?

That's all for now thanks...

Thanks for the info Flat9 I'll check that out as well.

There is something called the "Eco Grow Pot" or more recently the "420 Grow system" that I have seen but never used that reminds me of this "wicking". Although as rigged only wicks and does not "flood" and drain out the bottom drawing air through the medium like these coco "drip" systems.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Flat9 I'll check that out as well.

There is something called the "Eco Grow Pot" or more recently the "420 Grow system" that I have seen but never used that reminds me of this "wicking". Although as rigged only wicks and does not "flood" and drain out the bottom drawing air through the medium like these coco "drip" systems.

Wouldn't want them roots getting air??? Coco drip done right is pretty much unstoppable. Or I should say, my preference.

Sorry I wasn't clear...do want the roots getting O2 for sure...just meant that the eco grow pots draw water from below never getting a top feed.

Nuecoyote -- Ecogrow pots dont maintain a constant water level among all buckets, and also it assumes you'll be using soil AFAIK. I'm imagining you want to run several buckets so...

You should be using, say, 3/4 inch barb tee fittings, grommets, and vinyl tubing to connect all your buckets together and to a larger tote where you have your nutrient solution. Then you want an elevated external trash-can/tote/etc. feeding to a float valve in the nutrient solution tote to set the water level (which will be the same in the buckets). Finally if you want to add the pulse feed, get a recycle timer (there are some available for about 40 bucks online), a pump (need not be powerful ... w/ coco you'll likely only pulse feed a few times a day), and maybe some drip rings to use to distribute to each bucket. You could probably use 1/2" vinyl tubing for the drip rings. I like these the best:

http://www.blackholeshydro.com/

Think of it as Coco DTW with two benefits:
-- There's no waste ... everything just gets recycled. This has never been a problem for me and it beats collecting 20% runoff IMO.
-- Passive wicking system built in should there be a pump failure.

Engineering the top and bottom buckets takes a bit of doing but I can show you how if you'd like. Otherwise just check out some of the designs over at ICMAG....

At one point in response to question about Airpots you mention not wanting the pots to dry out too quickly because of nutrient expense in believe...I guess this was because at that point you were not recirculating? Or am I missing something else?

And also I’m not sure I’m catching your comments about adding more hydroton to the coco mix, as making it dry out faster so more feedings possible, or that it will hold water so would slow things down so less feedings?

I’ve been thinking that the Growstone recycled glass product might be a good “green’ product to use. It seems to have same kind of drainage characteristics with a higher air porosity than either perlite or Hydroton and it’s water retention is higher as well. Might even be too high and slow down the drying cycle too much though. I’m curious as to your thoughts?

And are you still using this as your nute lineup? - “Dyna-gro is the base lineup I use - Grow, Bloom, Pro-Tekt, Mag-Pro...To that lineup I use a multiple of additives - Cal-mag, Sensizyme, Big Bud, Liquid kool bloom, Powder kool bloom, Root Juice, B Vitamin. I also use H&G Drip clean, and Clearex, they work miracles.”

Hey neuro sorry for the late answer bud.

airpots - dry out to fast for me with a well developed root system. to much watering for my liking money wise. However still great to use if you want to use them.

hydroton - i add it as a 1 stone layer at the bottom of my pots to help with drainage and it gives the roots a nice place to bunch up and suck up some air. the roots seem to love it from my view point.

nutrients - yes those are all im still using. I will get back to you with that rooting hormone, thats the wrong name, ill get a link.

Sorry for the short answers bud but Im short on time.

Hey neuro sorry for the late answer bud.

airpots - dry out to fast for me with a well developed root system. to much watering for my liking money wise. However still great to use if you want to use them.

hydroton - i add it as a 1 stone layer at the bottom of my pots to help with drainage and it gives the roots a nice place to bunch up and suck up some air. the roots seem to love it from my view point.

nutrients - yes those are all im still using. I will get back to you with that rooting hormone, thats the wrong name, ill get a link.

Sorry for the short answers bud but Im short on time.

Back