Outdoor What size pot to start in? +rep

P

Puffnopassing

So, I am planning an outdoor grow this summer but I dont know what to start them in. I plan to start the plants for at least 20 days indoors. but I dont know eather to start them in jiffy pots/pellets so they stay rootbound then just drop the pellet or pot into the soil or if i should start them in small 3x3 pots and then transplant them later. I have heard that autos hate transplanting but would the small 3 inch pellets or pots be too small for about 2 and a half weeks/
Thanks

I think that might be a bit too small for 2 - 3 weeks but if thats the size that fits into your space for the amount of plants your growing so be it. Also transporting them to the final spot is a bitch in bigger pots. Are they super autos or small dwarf types ?

My initial thought was to start them in party cups (16oz?) but might have to deal with plant stress from taking too long to transplant (root bound) or transplanting too early (small root ball that doesn't hold dirt). Maybe the bigger styrofoam cups since they're easier to break apart when transplanting.

My initial thought was to start them in party cups (16oz?) but might have to deal with plant stress from taking too long to transplant (root bound) or transplanting too early (small root ball that doesn't hold dirt). Maybe the bigger styrofoam cups since they're easier to break apart when transplanting.

Welcome to the site, puffnopass. And rizzle as well. You can use the tier method, which is starting in smaller cups, two stacked together, the inside one already has it's bottom cut out and the 2nd one just has drainage holes. When you are ready to transplant you can just take that outside cup away and plant that 2nd cup with the bottom out, cup and all into the pot. The roots will grow out into the bigger container, and not require you to do a traditional transplant and even worry about the roots. Start in at least 32 oz cups.

I only grow outdoors, and have always started the plant in its final container. No one here knows your situation better than you, so advice will be mixed. I would think that your question to use 3x3 pots for 20 days would stress the plant and give poor results. Depending on your strain, 1-3 gal pots are suitable. I personally use 5-gal air pots with a moisture enhancing soil mix. I rarely have to water which is nice when growing outside. Native soil (for me at least) is either sandy and not very nutrient rich or mucky and too wet, so giving the correct soil mix is key in my situation.

I have no idea wether you are transporting far - or growing in your own back yard......growing 5 or 50 plants? More info will provide more helpful advice. Good luck.

i agree with kpex,i plant seed in final pots,no need to muck around with autos.
i only grow outside and in the middle of winter my autos take 4 months,in summer2.5-3 months.
i love the sub-tropics!

Yes, but what if you want to plant in the ground like me? Your final pot will be ground, but you like to plant a little bigger, because your plant WILL be eaten, broken, or something worse... And then you loose your soil/hole preparation and soil/ferts X number of died plants... That is the reason for good starting fella from the first post. Mates i am start too with autos, can you tell me can we use a polymer crystals for non-watering, close to no maintenance planting? I will be planting in the next spring around 100 dwarf plant for security reasons. I was doing that with regular photo strains. Make a hole and soil mix (including polymers), bring out plants 3-4 weeks old, live it to auto pilot :D. Plant deep to secure roots from heat, and always make a hole deeper then wider, because outdoor environment can't have an impact on plants roots. When is hot root is secured and plant WILL live with no watering. The basic mistake that plant is drought out or burned or look for the plant above ground. If you ensure plant IN the ground, above the ground will be marble... Think about that (and don't thank me :D). I always judge by the plant roots when will go out, not by the size of the plant. Bideway i live in 42 north, summer get really HOT here... Yesterday was 41 in the open... But answer who knows for polymers with auto. Cheers!

id plant in as big a pot as you have 10l or something then transplant to the ground when ready wont have any worries on being root bound then and you will be of to a flying start carnt help you with much more info as im not as experienced as the other guys here but good look and i hope you have a nice big harvest at the end happy growing :smokeit::peace: Si

I have used 32 oz cups to start outdoor plants. The root ball is big enough to hold together but still a little loose at 3 weeks along.

Back