New Grower UVA/UVB Light increasing Thc production?

A

alex10

(extracted from http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2696.html):

A researcher conducted a controlled experiment in a greenhouse. He lit a group of high potency plants similarly except with the addition of UVB light to some groups. He found that the percentage of THC increased in a direct ratio with the increase in UVB light. This research confirms the adage that high altitude plants are more potent than those grown at low altitudes.
If you look at old-world land races of cannabis, plants that have become adapted to the climate and latitude, the ratio of THC to CBD starts at 100 : 1 at the equator. At the 30th parallel (The Hindu-Kush Valley) the plants have a ratio of 50 : 50. At the 45th parallel the ratio is near 1 : 100. This corresponds roughly with the amount of UVB light received at these latitudes. There is much more UVB at the equator than the 45th parallel.
How can you get more UVB light to your plants? Certainly it's true that MH lamps emit more UVB light than HPS lamps. Still the amount that MH lamps emit is small. In fact, many manufacturers use UVB shielding glass to filter out most of the UVB that's produced. The UVB light the plant receives from an MH lamp does increase the plant's potency slightly at the cost of yield, but there are better ways to introduce UVB light into the grow room. They include reptile lights, which emit about 10% UVB, and tanning lamps.
The problem with using these lamps is that they are associated with increased number of cancers and many other problems. They should not be on when you are in the grow room. Not much research has been conducted on using them to produce higher THC values. I will do a full report in a future issue.

I have a 10.0 UVB T8 reptile light laying around to try this, will let you know if anything changes!

It would be nice to see an actual test done to see what the THC levels are in each plant used in such an experiment. At least then your judgement wouldn't be affected by any other factors. The numbers wouldn't lie.

Fairly often when you are used to growing a strain indoors, then try it outside. The outdoor buds will have a stronger kick. So there is for sure some thing we are missing in our indoor gardens.

The early LEDs lights had no UV but they have been added to the new ones so there must be something to it. I'll be very curious to see how this experiment works out for you.

I'm a firm believer after seeing the effects of UV-B in blackstars. Well known strains from HPS and outdoor show much more resin on fan leaves, bud leaves and large stems. Fully psychoactive, headed trichomes in places they never were before in other circumstances.

I may reconsider putting back the Repti-Glow 10% UVB lamp in my tent, there was a recent article in High Times magazine which concluded that, yes there was a slight improvement in THC levels, but at a cost of adding more stress which could effect the final yield negatively. Who knows? More research needs to be done.

I wish there was some way to get my meds tested since I grow with an led that has 7 uvb leds in each panel and I have always noticed more trichs on my led meds versus my cfl grows. Unfortunately I don't live in a mmj state so this wouldn't be wise but in smoke tests I have always noticed a difference in the same strains from cfl to my led.

I have two T8 UVB bulbs built into my LED Panel and def see a difference. Cannabis is evolved to tolerate UVB as outside its showered in it.

Well bottom line on all of it. Cannabis evolved outside under a big ball of burning hydrogen that spits out tons of UV light. So much so some creatures on earth see in that spectrum somewhat. A indoor grow should try to replicate the outside or conditions as near as possible. You can do otherwise but it will never be "optimal". Ive seen no issues with UVB also adding UVB is cheaper then the nutes you buy so why not try it out. Also consider that if you ever encountered Cannabis growing outside its beautifully perfect looking. I was stationed in South America sometime ago and went on vacaction while I was there and saw some and its just so different looking then anything anyone grows inside. Fully developed, robust..and the South America region has alot more UV light then say North America.

Going against most natural things ends up with quirky results. Bad analogy but only one I could think of. There starting to get long term results from the people that on the space station that have been there for extended time periods. They knew that no gravity environments do wierd things to people but most of that they can compensate for. Well about half of the male astronauts that come back are going blind or greatly diminished vision which leads to some questions on long term no gravity missions like could we do it? What else would happen for multi year missions. There not quite sure why but its just the human body never evolved to deal with it.

Back