Understanding PPM?

I finally got my ppm meter. Upon mixing up a batch of liquid nutes @ 50% recommended dosage, my ppm reading is 240.
Now everything I have read says my plants like a ppm of 1000 at this stage of life. What is that 1000 ppm based on? Considering last week I gave my plants a dose of nutes at 100% the required dose, and they got burned and went into convulsions.
I imagine I'm not supposed to mix a batch of nutes 4 1/2 times the recommended dose to get a 1000 ppm measurement. I'm lost here on how this ppm stuff works, or how to get them to the 1000 ppm.
Please enlighten me :)
You're on the right track.

The nute manufacturers recommend absurdly high levels of nutes. Conversely, the advice of growers on all of the forums that I read is to start nutes at 25% strength and gradually work up from there (autos are different).

We think in terms of "upping the nutes" to some desired level. That's us trying to get a plant to consume what we think it should consume.

Turn that around - let the plant show you what it wants. That sounded sorta new agey to me when I first heard it but…I'm a convert. The plants will give you feedback on how they're doing in a lot of ways. It's good to have a handle on the visuals but these document will guide you about what's going on in the res. I've attached a couple of documents that I've found very helpful.

Son of Wonder Chart.png

Wonder Chart.png

Back