Harvest & Curing To leave plant whole or to branch out?

Morningstar_Gardens

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Dosi
Hello I’m curious what the general consensus was on leaving the plants whole drying vs hanging up individual branches. My last harvest I branched out and I don’t feel like I got the best results possible so I’m leaving these hanging as whole plants. I just trimmed the fans off and hung them up. My only concern would be the size of main colas and having them potentially mold or something. I have them hanging in a 2x2 with an indirect fan going. The tent is maintaining 68 degrees at 58-60 percent humidity.

Attachments

• 2FF58CA8-D734-472B-BAFD-ADB0E92D666C.jpeg
    2FF58CA8-D734-472B-BAFD-ADB0E92D666C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 42
  • 8C6A8E77-5F67-4639-9F71-7626FD323A76.jpeg
    8C6A8E77-5F67-4639-9F71-7626FD323A76.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • F8C0CB3C-ACB5-4D67-AD98-33D84F6AC268.jpeg
    F8C0CB3C-ACB5-4D67-AD98-33D84F6AC268.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
I would make sure you have your grow fan pointing directly at it, it should be fine.

I wouldnt blow fan directly at it myself but definetely need air flow in the tent. Temp and humidity are on point. I whole plant hang & keep it at 60-70°F And 55 to 60 rh and never had mold unless you seal them to early without sweating then burping. If you get the moisture content to 11 percent moisture in the stems with a wood moisture meter with probes. There only like 20-30 bucks for a wood moisture meter. You can seal after sweating branches in paper bags for 24 hours. Fold paper bags for 12 hours then leave bag Open for 12 hours. If moisture still read 11 percent or 10 percent then your safe to buck buds off branches then Trim and cure and you wont have to ever have to worry about mold or burping jars. If you dont test moisture content then i would burp daily til 58 to 62 rh in curing. Then slow down on the burping so they dont overdry. Either way sweating branches or buds in paper bags is important before the cure to pull put that inner moisture so your buds dont mold on you.

I wouldnt blow fan directly at it myself but definetely need air flow in the tent. Temp and humidity are on point. I whole plant hang & keep it at 60-70°F And 55 to 60 rh and never had mold unless you seal them to early without sweating then burping. If you get the moisture content to 11 percent moisture in the stems with a wood moisture meter with probes. There only like 20-30 bucks for a wood moisture meter. You can seal after sweating branches in paper bags for 24 hours. Fold paper bags for 12 hours then leave bag Open for 12 hours. If moisture still read 11 percent or 10 percent then your safe to buck buds off branches then Trim and cure and you wont have to ever have to worry about mold or burping jars. If you dont test moisture content then i would burp daily til 58 to 62 rh in curing. Then slow down on the burping so they dont overdry. Either way sweating branches or buds in paper bags is important before the cure to pull put that inner moisture so your buds dont mold on you.

Thanks a ton for the advice on this. I’ve always been told never put a fan directly on drying plants bc it will kill your terps from fast drying. So I will be leaving it pointing away from the drying buds. I already had a bunch of hygrometers from my last grow but I just ordered this moisture meter based off your advice. Will be here tomorrow and will follow your instructions on the 11% goal. Hopefully this is a decent enough meter and somewhat accurate. I assume you break down the branches some what for the paper bag sweating?

Attachments

• CA5FDD91-E253-4C18-BDB6-AAB88249348B.jpeg
    CA5FDD91-E253-4C18-BDB6-AAB88249348B.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 21
Thanks a ton for the advice on this. I’ve always been told never put a fan directly on drying plants bc it will kill your terps from fast drying. So I will be leaving it pointing away from the drying buds. I already had a bunch of hygrometers from my last grow but I just ordered this moisture meter based off your advice. Will be here tomorrow and will follow your instructions on the 11% goal. Hopefully this is a decent enough meter and somewhat accurate. I assume you break down the branches some what for the paper bag sweating?
Thats the same one i use bud. Use soft wood setting when testing. Make sure you use rubbing alcohol and some paper towel and clean the two probes after testing each branch or it wont give accurate readings. Test the small branches close to the buds. Make sure you sweat in some paper bags still after the dry and before curing. It will pull any inner moisture outwards so you dont crack a bud open later to discover mold on the inside.

Thats the same one i use bud. Use soft wood setting when testing. Make sure you use rubbing alcohol and some paper towel and clean the two probes after testing each branch or it wont give accurate readings. Test the small branches close to the buds. Make sure you sweat in some paper bags still after the dry and before curing. It will pull any inner moisture outwards so you dont crack a bud open later to discover mold on the inside.

Would you recommend that I get a inline fan setup for the dry tent? Or is just having the clip fan indirectly moving air inside around sufficient?

How are you keeping temp and humidity in check?

If your able to control temp and humidity its not mandatory but fresh air is indeed good. It wouldnt hurt to get one. It would only improve the grow. If you cant afford one atm just leave tent door open 30 mins to an hour daily. That will allow for air exchange also. But i recomend ac infinty of you do get one. You can control temp and humidity with them. Custom settings. Very nice equipment!!! I have a AC Infinity T6 inline fan i use in my 8x4 for growing tent then move it to my 4x4 tent for drying. I leave 2 ports at bottom of tent open to pull fresh air in. I use a Air Conditiner and humidifier inside my grow and dry tents. I have a dehumidifier outside my tent set lower than my tent so if humidity in my tent gets too high the ac infinity exhausts out moist air and pulls dryer air inside the tent to fix the issue.

A 4x4 tent would get away with a 4 inch inline fan but if bigger tent i would go with a 6 inch inline fan. I dont use a carbon filter as its legal to grow where im at so smell doesnt bother me.

Back