DIY Tent Mod: Height Extension

Rev. Green Genes

Time is an Illusion. Lunchtime doubly So.
Reaction score
Website
www.something.com
Currently Smoking
Alien V. Triangle, Double Grape
I have an Amnesia that is starting to cause trouble, in that she is too vigorous for my tent. She is no doubt going to grow right into the lights. I can't have that!

So I checked prices on things, dreamed of upgrading the garage, and putting together my TFRDWC (which I have the all the parts for) In the end, I decided to save the time, money, and energy right now and Mod the crappy little tent I have.

I already had all materials, including the shelf with hanger that I moved to the desired height to hang lights right through the tent top. This modification will NOT carry any weight whatsoever.

It's a 20x36x60 but it's actually only about 57 inches high. My large rez takes up 14 or 15 inches of it's current height.

1. I cut out the roof being careful to leave some fabric to seal the interior.

2. Build new tent top extension
a. Measure and cut reflective insulation to widths, and desired height.
b. Tape the outside corners into position with reflective tape (I used Duct.)
c. Measure and cut cheap faux corner moulding, clean with alcohol.
d. Super glue the corners and top braces into folding position
e. Put a bead of super glue along all corner braces.
f. Use tape for corners, additional structure, protection on top from tearing out where lights go through, and light proofing.
g. Secure old tent fabric to inside of new top with reflective tape.

3. Hang lights outside of tent, and through the new top.

4. Seal all outside lower edges with tape loops in between new top and tent.

5. Added metal brace to back side of tent frame. stuffed wires behind it out of way.

_IGP0350.JPG
_IGP0351.JPG
_IGP0354.JPG
_IGP0353.JPG
_IGP0365.JPG
_IGP0367.JPG

I now have an much needed additional 1.5 feet of vertical grow room. If the tape job fails in the future, it will simply get replaced by velcro, which will work much better anyway. So far I'm super happy about it. Time will tell how well it holds up. Worst case scenario is a replacement tent (and I get to pick it out this time.) No more worrying about buying super small plants.

Last edited:
Back