Strange leaf spots + Nitogen Toxicity?

Those things are questionable at best.. Plagron lite has a few ph buffering sources.. It's really hard to get the soil ph out of range. A true soil ph probe costs about 100 us dollars. I use a Kelway..

I would find a few more test subjects.. Maybe outdoors somewhere, or old soil if you have some around. Something to make sure you're getting readings other than 7.8-80..
I didn't have much money to play with so I chose that one because it was cheap and had over 13k positive reviews...but now that I have tested it on a bunch of my household pot plants, I can see it gives the exact same PH reading every time. Guess I just wasted my money :)

Plagron light mix is not soil. It is a pH buffered peat product with added perlite.

You should be treating this as a semi-soilless grow and using hydroponic pH ranges.

6.5 is too high, target 5.5-6.1 as your ideal pH range.

Soil probes should not be used in hobbyist growing, pH drops or a calibrated meter will give far more valuable information about acidity.
Ahh, great, thanks!! I knew it was 'soilless soil', but I didnt know that I should be using hydroponic ranges. I will aim for 5.5 to 6 with my next water. Cheers

Ok, so I have managed to take some more photos, this time outside the tent and with better light.
They're still not great photos, sorry, but I think it is easier to see just how sickly the entire plant looks:
Full.jpg

and here I think it might be easier to see how deformed and curled the leaves are:
Gnarled bud leaves.jpg

and here:
More gnarled and curling leaves.jpg

and here is another pic of the spots and the clawing:
Spots and curling.jpg

At this point all I want to do is see if I can learn what went wrong with this grow so I can avoid it in the future.

After what @low_and_slow has said I will try lowering the PH of the water I'm giving it and report back on the results.

Thanks to everyone who has helped out with advice, it has been really helpful!

I never check the ph of the soil. If I'm growing in hydro I always check the water daily for ph fluctuations. But in soil theres no need unless your having problems. But if you keep your water and feed ph in check and feed to 20 percent run off and that shud keep your plants happy. No need to even test the soils ph in my opinion. I dont even own a soil ph tester and I grow plants from start to finish in soil or coco coir without one.

I never check the ph of the soil. If I'm growing in hydro I always check the water daily for ph fluctuations. But in soil theres no need unless your having problems. But if you keep your water and feed ph in check and feed to 20 percent run off and that shud keep your plants happy. No need to even test the soils ph in my opinion. I dont even own a soil ph tester and I grow plants from start to finish in soil or coco coir without one.
Thanks, thats good to know. I don't have a spare $100 laying around to buy a proper soil PH tester anyway, so I was hoping I could solve this problem with what I already have

So I watered the 'experiment' (which is what I'm calling this grow now) today with water that was PH balanced to 5.5.
Checking the runoff, I found that it was 6.5.

So, is my aim to achieve a PH of the runoff that is between 5.5 and 6.1?
If so, I am assuming that I need to adjust the PH of the water to bring this slowly down. E.g. If I reduce the PH of the water next time to 5.0, I could expect the PH of the runoff to be reduce as well, hopefully to around 6.0.
Is this right?

Or should I just continue to water with the same PH as today (5.5), and keep checking the runoff, and it will slowly come down to match the PH of the water after a few feeds?

You don't want to overcorrect pH, I'd aim for no lower than 5.5 water-in and then just see what she does over time.

Back