DIY Started building my DIY Carbon filter today

greenjeans

Hydroponic Heretic
Reaction score
My girls should be starting to smell in a couple of weeks, and not being able to afford a proper ventilation system yet, I have decided to build a carbon filter. I will be using only materials I have here at home, other than the carbon itself. I ordered 2.5 lbs of activated Carbon, which should be here by Wednesday. I got the Marineland Black Diamond Premium activated carbon. It cost me $20. Free shipping. It is made from Bituminous coal, rather than the coconut shell product that you often find. My research indicates that the coal based activated carbon is superior to the coconut shell stuff.

I have only just started, so I just wanted to get a thread up to document my progress. I will be completing the system over the next several days, and will update as I go. I will also be updating after the fact to let you guys know how this design works.

I will be using my Honeywell Turboforce fan. It is rated at 350cfm. Yes, it is a regular axial fan. I currently have it at the top of my cabinet, raised up into a hole in the top. It creates some SERIOUS negative pressure on high, so I don't think it is going to have a big problem pulling through this design. I currently run it on medium the way I have it set up now.

I am using a square bucket that I have here at home. It is about 9 1/4 inches square, which is also the approximate diameter of the fan.

For the inner chamber, I will be using a tupperware container that sits inside the bucket and leaves a 1 or 1 1/2 gap on the sides. The Idea is to riddle the buckets with holes, use some screen that I have here on the inside of the outer bucket, and the outside of the inner bucket, and fill the void with the carbon. I have drilled the larger holes in the outer bucket, at this point, and will also be drilling smaller holes toward the top to make sure I get as even of an airflow as possible. Basically, if you drill all large holes, then the fan will mostly suck through the holes closest to the fan, so you drill smaller holes the closer you get to the fan itself.

Here is a pic of my starting point.
20150315_123842.jpg

I will update more as I progress with the build. Wish me luck! Assuming it pulls air and functions on a fundamental level, we should know if it works for the odors in a few weeks.

Last edited:
There you go bro! That's the DIY spirit! There's been some successes here and on other forums with diy filters. (you can even make a super cheap small and quiet one for your bedroom while you're at it.) Good luck!

Thanks! I looked at a ton of designs and did a lot of research over the last month, so I really am pretty confident that this is going to work for me. My biggest concern is getting enough airflow to keep the cab cool. Worst case scenario, if it works, but the airflow isn't enough for me, I will build a second unit.

The actual design is based on one I found that a Guy is currently getting a full year of odor control out of. But he uses a better fan, and net-pots. so it is different, but the principle is the same..

Finished the DIY carbon filter today. I haven't installed the fan yet. I am going to let it sit overnight and dry out the carbon some more. It is still damp from being washed. I will probably put the fan in and test it tomorrow or Wednesday. If it works out, I will post up info about exactly how I made it.

Here are some pics.
20150316_103433.jpg20150316_103453.jpg20150316_161149.jpg20150316_170309.jpg20150316_171227.jpg

Tested last night, and wasn't getting the airflow I wanted. I will be taking it apart and removing some carbon to reduce the back-pressure.

Cool beans man. Love DIY stuff. Read somewhere that you dont want to suck air to fast for your amount of carbon/ surface area of filter or you will just spit the stink out faster than your carbon can filter it. You wouldnt have come acrost an actuall formula for determining the airflow to carbon to surface area of filter have ya?

Cool beans man. Love DIY stuff. Read somewhere that you dont want to suck air to fast for your amount of carbon/ surface area of filter or you will just spit the stink out faster than your carbon can filter it. You wouldnt have come acrost an actuall formula for determining the airflow to carbon to surface area of filter have ya?

Not really. I know such science exists, but I am flying by the seat of my pants here. I am more concerned with getting enough air to flow through to keep my temps manageable. My cabinet is in my garage, so it gets hot easily. It is pulling air as-is, but not nearly enough to keep my box temps manageable. I will be rebuilding again tomorrow. I somehow ended up with about the same amount of carbon in it today. I will be decreasing further, and opening up the holes in the inner section more to try to increase the flow.

This would be much more effective if I could afford a real fan. I'm trying to find a happy medium between airflow and odor control. I won't really know about odor for a few more weeks, as my girls aren't smelling bad yet, so right now I am concentrating on airflow. It is definitely a work in progress..

How do you connect the fan to it?? Just wondering tyty...

I remove the stand, set the fan on top facing up, and duct tape it. then the bucket will just drop down into a square hole on top of my cab.

For clarity, this design is not yet functioning properly. At least not for my purposes.

Back