Start of a magnesium def? Please help!

Reaction score
2nd grow ever here and I'm trying to apply what I learned from my first grow to be more successful. Can you look and tell me if this is normal or I'm being overly worried? I feel like I'm starting to see some yellowing on the leaves inside and along the edges while while the veins stay darkish? My last grow I ran into a N def and I dont think this looks the same. My 4 plants sprouted from 9/26-9/29 and this is on pretty much all of them in some fashion.

5 gallon fabric pots
Re-used living soil
Soil amended with KIS nutrient pack AND Dr Earth veg and bloom dry amendments AND earthworm castings (This explains burnt tips I think)
240w SF2000 sitting about 40 inches away from plants currently (This was backed off in fear it was light stress)
Coconut Water
Great White
Recharge once a week
Generally 1 gallon of water between all 4 pots, half gallon fed to bottom of all 4 as well (Tap water let sit out at least 24 hours and phd around 6.5)

Just started using calmag at 3ml per gallon but I thought the dry amendments and nutes had something to supplement.

I was gonna do my next round of top dressing this Friday with EWC and more dry amendments as that is 4 weeks from my first sprout for my biggest plant but I feel like it may not be needed on my smaller ones.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you AFN!

Attachments

• 20201020_085525.jpg
    20201020_085525.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 145
  • 20201020_090106.jpg
    20201020_090106.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 149
  • 20201020_090015.jpg
    20201020_090015.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 152
  • 20201020_085458.jpg
    20201020_085458.jpg
    968.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 20201020_085431.jpg
    20201020_085431.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 144
  • 20201020_090126.jpg
    20201020_090126.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
Looks like a very early mg deficiency. I never needed to supplement cal/mg under HPS, I find it almost a necessity under LED.

With what you've got going, I'd look ar supplementing with epsom salt.

Thank you @Arthur! Do you think if I started just adding more calmag to my waterings that would correct it or would a epsom salt foliar spray be better?

Any other opinions? thanks!

If you just started using, I would continue on and see how she responds. Understand your looking at a week ago, so adjustments need to be somewhat gradual. A foliar with Epsom would be a good choice, foliar is getting it right to the issue, right now.

Thank you @Arthur! Do you think if I started just adding more calmag to my waterings that would correct it or would a epsom salt foliar spray be better?

Any other opinions? thanks!
That's not the answer... I know it may seem like a lot to learn/take in, but just think it over out loud for a second... You are using living soil (that should be water only).. You added the KIS nutrient pack... You added Dr. Earth dry amendments... You added earthworm casting, recharge, coconut water great white, AND calmag... All for a plant that is 3 weeks old. Pull back... Think it over out loud.. Ask yourself, how many of those items contain magnesium/calcium/potassium ect.. Check labels if you need to.. If you don't understand how recharge and great white both work, they add microbes, fungus and bacteria to the soil.. That Microbe life breaks down the organic matter and makes the nutrients in the soil available to the plant.. That's on top of the two different amendments you added as a nutrient source as well..

The term/word deficiency DOES NOT automatically mean add more.. I can't stress that enough. Do not add more cal mag.. There are about 6 active calcium/magnesium sources in that soil right now based on what you've listed. It doesn't need any more. It needs to use the nutrients that are already in the pot.. If it's not using those nutrients (which is why it looks deficient) there's a reason for it. In this case, you are on the verge of a nutrient lock out.. Lock outs make the nutrients unavailable to the plant.. That happens when excess nutrients sit in the soil.. Too much calcium will lock out magnesium.. Too much magnesium will lock out calcium.. Too much potassium locks out nitrogen, calcium and magnesium, ect.. Every nutrient has another, or multiples that it can lock out..

You have every possible nutrient source in that soil.. The conclusion shouldn't be to add more.. It should be to find out why its not using the nutrients you've already given it.

At three weeks old, not much is needed. You doubled up on inoculates (great white and recharge) and doubled up on amendments (KIS and Dr. Earth).. Anding doubled up on calcium and magnesium (calmag and coconut water).. Im sure this is the start of a nutrient lock out. It's hard to say how to treat it.. It's much easier to add more of something if its needed, than it is to remove an excess of something if needed. Dr. Earth is slow release.. the more you water it, the more nutrients it releases, so a flush can be problematic. I would use water only, and water until run off for the next couple of weeks.. If you top dress again or continue to use that list of products, the problems will intensify and spread very quickly. It's already on track to do that. Continuing to more will just fuel the fire.

Last edited:
Alot of the above makes sense thank you @Proph. I guess I was just worried about the amendments not really being mixed properly and I got all that was on the top?

Anyway, ill back off of everything for a bit except plain water and ill make sure to PH that to 6.5. Sounds like I need to get a soil PH tester to see if that may be causing the lock out (or too much of something else like you mentioned).

I'd like to get my hands on the guy that invented cal/mag.

What’s wrong with cal mag
Nothing. It just causes confusion. Rarely is there ever a calcium and magnesium deficiency together. If your grow needs calcium use calcium if magnesium, magnesium. There is no such thing as calmag. So why use calmag.

1 part baked eggshells crushed 10 parts vinegar. Let it work for 24 hours b4 you use. You can find dilution rates for spray application online. Ot yku can use it as PH down when you want to water it in.

Back